1'st Cyclocross / Gravel Bike

FeltZ85
FeltZ85 Posts: 28
edited June 2017 in Cyclocross
Apologies if this has been asked a hundred times before.

Getting fed up of plodding slowly around on my MTB and fancy getting something with a bit more speed when i wanna go for a quick blast on my local trails, and for a bit of commuting as well so i figure a cx bike might be the way to go.

Looking for any personal recommendations on entry level bikes, say up to £1000, would rather buy new than 2nd hand.

Cheers! :D

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I made the same move and ended up with a Diverge with hydraulic disc brakes. It is much faster than my xc mountain bike on road and also faster on smoother / gravel tracks, only when it gets rougher or more technical off road does it struggle. In the drier months I fit 33mm tracer pro tyres which grip well enough off road. This makes it good for long distances and exploring, I do a 50 mile mainly off road ride on it which would have been harder work on my xc hardtail.

Make a list of what you want from the bike and components you need. Also think where you are going to ride it and if it is suitable.

My list was 11 speed, hydraulic disc brakes and room for wider tyres.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    I managed to get a Ridley X-Ride 20 disc for £1k last year when Ridley were offering discounts across their cross range ...

Glad I bought when I did as the 2016 version has the better RS685 shifters ... Harder to find at that price now (but there is still the odd one to be found) but it is an excellent bike ... I took it on a 2 mile long downhill mud/stone forrest track with no issues and have also done 30+ mile road runs quite happily ...

I currently have 32mm slicks on it and also added a 33t inner chainring so that any off road climbing on loose/muddy surfaces isn't an issue but was able to keep the tighter block on the back for general use ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    Interesting thread, I'm looking at getting something similar but unfortunately my budget is much lower at around £500, anything half decent out there at this price?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Prices have shot up on all bikes for 2017 alot less bargins around than last year.

About £300 more for the same spec.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Helps if your a giant or a dwarf
  • vulva65
    oxoman wrote:
    Vulva. Look out for the remnants of last years models and demo or hire bikes. I paid 450 for a 2016 giant tcx slr2 ex demo. At most it was tried 3 or 4 times as it was like new no marks or scratches. Watch halfords sales as well as their cx bikes aren't to bad.

Thanks Oxoman, I'll keep an eye out for those. Hows the Giant, I've got a Giant full sus and honestly can't fault it so would assume the build quality will be the same across the board. I've seen an orange rx9 at £500 second hand but good condition, only problem is he only wants a local pickup and I'm 400 miles away!
  • vulva65
    I've now found an Orange rx9 in great condition for £450, it's only been taken on a couple of rides. Needs pedals though and I think I want some clipless pedals, but have never used them so want something that's easy to clip out, and preferably with a flat side so I can wear normal shoes if needed. Also any advice on clipless shoes that aren't horrendously ugly?
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Vulva65 wrote:
    I've now found an Orange rx9 in great condition for £450, it's only been taken on a couple of rides. Needs pedals though and I think I want some clipless pedals, but have never used them so want something that's easy to clip out, and preferably with a flat side so I can wear normal shoes if needed. Also any advice on clipless shoes that aren't horrendously ugly?

Can't go wrong with Crankbrother Eggbeaters for a beginner ... 4 sided entry, variable (well 2 options) float/release ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.