Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Advice on raleigh record sprint

MighttMightt Posts: 7
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello, i'm thinking about buying new road bike, possibly SS. Because of my limited budget (200-400euros) i'm leaning towards used bikes, or single-speed/fix (used it for a while, few years ago), but i do care about the looks, and i want something vintage, good looking. Found nothing in Lithuania websites, except this raleigh record sprint in quite good condition. https://www.skelbiu.lt/skelbimai/raleig ... 38133.html. Could you please advice me, if its not too expensive for its worth. If you have any suggestions, offers or comments, please share it :) In Lithuania, bikes arent so popular, so choice is wuite bad regarding vintage looking road bikes, or flashy, good looking fixies/ss.

Posts

  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    Thats the kind of bike kids would be riding to school on 30 years plus back in the UK. I'd not pay a lot of money for it. Nothing classic about it - just mass produced.
  • MighttMightt Posts: 7
    Fenix wrote:
    Thats the kind of bike kids would be riding to school on 30 years plus back in the UK. I'd not pay a lot of money for it. Nothing classic about it - just mass produced.
    thanks for opinion. is 220euros for example to much for it by your standarts? It's still reasonably average bike, with few changes it could even look quite vintage sexy
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    It wasn't that much brand new !

    I think Decathlon are in Lithuania ? Check out their Triban range - thats very well reviewed.
  • MighttMightt Posts: 7
    Fenix wrote:
    It wasn't that much brand new !

    I think Decathlon are in Lithuania ? Check out their Triban range - thats very well reviewed.
    thanks :)
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Can you order online? If so the world is your oyster.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • MighttMightt Posts: 7
    Can you order online? If so the world is your oyster.
    i can, but shipping to europe is needed. would you be able to recommend something for me? classic/vintage/retro looks are quite important to me, and i'm not some specifications freak :D
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,599
    Specs are more important than looks if you want to enjoy the ride. Doesn't have to be expensive, but does have to have decent bits.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    Classic Vintage Retro looks may look ok, but when the brakes aren't stopping you and your gears are all too high....

    There's a lot to be said for improvements !
  • MighttMightt Posts: 7
    Fenix wrote:
    Classic Vintage Retro looks may look ok, but when the brakes aren't stopping you and your gears are all too high....

    There's a lot to be said for improvements !
    i do agree with you, though maybe any compromise could be found :D
  • kirkeekirkee Posts: 369
    My parents bought me a second hand record sprint in 86 and I loved it, was in the bike shop window next to a celeste Bianchi which was out of my price range! Nostalgia aside, get something modern. As other posts say, if you can find a newer bike within your budget get that. Unless you specifically want t a retro bike go modern.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • TonyJamsTonyJams Posts: 214
    Nice bike - I think they were about £220ish around 1986. Seat looks a bit low on that for comfort and if you do get it you'll have to retape the bars to get the brake hoods up in the right position. Solid bike that should keep on going for years.
  • MighttMightt Posts: 7
    TonyJams wrote:
    Nice bike - I think they were about £220ish around 1986. Seat looks a bit low on that for comfort and if you do get it you'll have to retape the bars to get the brake hoods up in the right position. Solid bike that should keep on going for years.

    thanks! my Vintage side won this time, i bought it, and it rides really smooth :) i will indeed replace bar tape, and seat is not original, and a bit uncomfy, so gonna buy new one when i'll get some money.
  • TonyJamsTonyJams Posts: 214
    A Selle Italia Turbo will look authentic on there and you can pick them up for £26 at Wiggle
Sign In or Register to comment.