1234568»

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    mikel-landa.jpg
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    fat daddy wrote:
    Why does Landa wear a different jersey to the rest of the team ???

Cos he's Basque and therefore better than them all.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Garry H wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    Why does Landa wear a different jersey to the rest of the team ???

Cos he's Basque and therefore better than them all.

Liked him waving to anyone with a Basque flag in the last km today
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Ooof, what a Giro.

Best GT i've watched in a long time.

Really enjoying that. .

Me too, I was thinking maybe an 8, bit of a slow burner early on but this last week has been first class.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    It's been a decent Giro, scatalogical discussions notwithstanding
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    The person who asked the Landa jersey question ... I have no words ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Best GT i've seen since 2009 TDF
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    type:epyt wrote:
    There was a time when you didn't know why either. There was for all of us.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Those suggesting Quintana hasn't earned pink - he did win the MTF up to Blockhaus.

Y'know, that monster climb that even put Merckx to the sword on occasion.
    He won it in slightly disappointing style and then tried to make out he was the next Pantani.

24 seconds on that climb for him is substantially below par IMO.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Such negative racing. Worst I've seen in years.

Are you joking?

If ya don't like this, go watch something else.

Last years TdF 1st then in mins 4,4,4,5,6,6
    Giro 2017 to date 1st then 0,0,0,1,1,3
  • RichN95.
    We have two stages to go and conceivably there are five riders who could still win - this is a GT organizer's dream.

If the racing seems negative it is because there are a lot of riders fairly equally matched. It doesn't have a great champion putting on a dominant performance, but it's none the poorer for it.

And Landa has provided plenty of panache as the support act.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Those suggesting Quintana hasn't earned pink - he did win the MTF up to Blockhaus.

He won it in slightly disappointing style and then tried to make out he was the next Pantani.

The fact he isn't the new pantani is a thing to be celebrate.

If you haven't enjoyed this giro, you probably need a new sport to watch. This week has been exciting, beautiful, painful, unexpected - sport at its best. With a fantastic backdrop.
  • RichN95.
    Although he was saying it to an Italian audience. So different connotations.

As it happens Landa has now won three Giro stages - all three were on climbs on which Pantani also won stages
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

If you haven't enjoyed this giro, you probably need a new sport to watch. This week has been exciting, beautiful, painful, unexpected - sport at its best. With a fantastic backdrop.
    I have enjoyed it muchly, just making a point!

I hope Quintana doesn't win still.
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I hope Quintana doesn't win still.
    I'm hoping Pinot or Zakarin (but mostly Pinot) can somehow mug them all.

I don't mind needle between riders, but between Quintana proclaiming himself the new Pantani, Dumoulin considering who he'd like on the podium with him and Nibali's lifelong devotion to sh1t stirring, I would just love them to be undone.

(But if one of those three is to win I'd like Nibali, because his stirring is generally entertaining)
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    We done this video yet?

https://u.nya.is/djrsgn.mp4

Looks like, eerr, no other way to say this, Sunweb dropped Dumolin for the original split....
    Wooopppseee!! bet there was a stony silence at their team dinner last night!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    RichN95 wrote:
    type:epyt wrote:
    There was a time when you didn't know why either. There was for all of us.
    Nicely put Rich.

When the GC battle is not over until the last couple of stages, the Entertainment value can't be bad.

Great that climbers have to give it another crack today. With Landa's form, if Thom...bygones, can't beat that unpredictability.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    And as ever, this is why it's worth watching the race before declaring it's over :P
    Milton50 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Barring accidents Quintana is battling for second now. Can Nibali put 40 seconds into him over a flat TT?

Another MTF to come no?

Yeh, Nibali and Quintana seem on a similar level though so I'm not expecting any significant time gaps in the mountains.

Will see.

Tom's clearly more rattled post poo than pre poo.

Nibs & Quintana have shown they're always the nuts week 3.

Tom hasn't....yet.

I would still say Dumoulin has won barring accidents. Today's stage is not a true MTF and he is going to put at least 2 minutes into Quintana in the TT.

But we'll see. He may be completely exhausted.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Interesting to hear Quintana talking about defending the jersey. Maybe something was lost in translation, surely he can't think he has enough time in the bag for the TT.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Oh how times change. 3/4 years ago there were people on here loving Quintana and predicting how great and exciting he was going to be.

Turns out bike riders get tired over 3 week tours. Who would have thought?

I predict the Chaves backlash next.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Don't mention that toothy tosspot Chaves... was just thinking what a joy it's been not to have his twitty face and irrepressible nature all over Eurosport.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Milton50 wrote:
    [

I would still say Dumoulin has won barring accidents. Today's stage is not a true MTF and he is going to put at least 2 minutes into Quintana in the TT.

But we'll see. He may be completely exhausted.

It's tough enough that unless Dumoulin is on a better day than yesterday he's going to lose another minute isn't it?

My guess is that Quintana is going to drop him at least on the final climb - it may come down to who each rider is with for the final run in. If Quintana escapes and gets a minute up the road he could lose a lot of that in the last few kms if he's out front alone and Dumoulin is combining with some of the other favourites. Conversely if Dumoulin is alone and Quintana has help the gap could go out.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I think a lot will depend on if Dumoulin panics or not if he gets dropped.

The final climb is actually quite regular and in the word of inrng "rolls well". So if he just keeps working away at the power he can sustain then I think he will limit his losses. He if he starts to panic, especially if he has no help, then yes you could quickly lose upwards of a minute.
  • bobmcstuff
    Milton50 wrote:
    I think a lot will depend on if Dumoulin panics or not if he gets dropped.

The final climb is actually quite regular and in the word of inrng "rolls well". So if he just keeps working away at the power he can sustain then I think he will limit his losses. He if he starts to panic, especially if he has no help, then yes you could quickly lose upwards of a minute.

He doesn't appear to have panicked much to this point, but he might just not have the legs.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Don't mention that toothy tosspot Chaves... was just thinking what a joy it's been not to have his twitty face and irrepressible nature all over Eurosport.

Toothy pintsized tosspot surely?
    Correlation is not causation.