Tom D lost about 1'04 there I think.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Landa wins - PTP joy!

2 years late but i will take it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    Quintana needs to find some time tomorrow.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Booooo.

If Dumoulin can keep it within 1'30" by the end of tomorrow he'll still win it.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Quintana takes the Maglia Rosa.

Least deserving Maglia Rosa of the Giro...

Dumoulin lost 1 minute.

Yup definitely
  • Well, if ever there was a really dull way to take the pink jersey that was it.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    That spiced things up a bit.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I reckon Dumoulin was sandbagging it; he doesn't want to wear that pink skinsuit in the TT because he knows how un-aero it is.

Let Quintana look like the marshmallow man on the final TT and rob him in the final stage, great tactics.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,155
    A side issue. Yates is only 28s ahead of Jungels for white so he'll have to attack if he can tomorrow.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I reckon Dumoulin was sandbagging it; he doesn't want to wear that pink skinsuit in the TT because he knows how un-aero it is.

Let Quintana look like the marshmallow man on the final TT and rob him in the final stage, great tactics.

I would say the difference in skinsuits over 30k could well be 30s or more. Though I don't think it was intentional.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,831
    Fair play to Pinot for trying.

Quintana least deserving pink jersey of all time. I can't believe how negative him and Nibali are. Have they forgotten it's a TT on Sunday? The only thing I can think of is that Movistar have somehow made Dowsett look like Quintana and he will ride the TT.

Well done to dumoulin, he fully deserves to win this Giro. But the others certainly haven't twisted the knife when it has been needed.

Movistar and Bahrain are quickly becoming my least favourite teams. I think my dog would would be a better DS then what they've got.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Movistar and Bahrain are quickly becoming my least favourite teams. I think my dog would would be a better DS then what they've got.

One of my cat's already got the seat in the Movistar first car. Your dog can have the Bahrain Merida car. My other cat through a bidon at me when I asked if she'd like the gig.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,831
    rozzer32 wrote:

One of my cat's already got the seat in the Movistar first car. Your dog can have the Bahrain Merida car. My other cat through a bidon at me when I asked if she'd like the gig.

:lol::lol::lol:
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    Well, if ever there was a really dull way to take the pink jersey that was it.

Quite a lot of moaning from various folk about how dull this stage has been and how under-par the performances of some riders have been.

I do not watch live, as that's quite a few hours of screen time, but I do see the highlights most evenings.

But I do not expect entertainment just like that. My introduction to GT races was in newspapers (L'Equipe et al) and when eventually I could see more than a few seconds on screen it all seemed a bit bizarre.... like watching chess live, but faster and with more players.

I first saw live stage racing on TV in cafes overseas.... it was nice background over a coffee or a drink.

I have been following these tours for quite some years and am a little surprised that anyone expects Vin Diesel-type bangs and skids and overtaking all the time. To the spectator, even roadside, much of stage racing in fairly uneventful.

It has always been so. I thought the non-Tom camp did quite well today, near the end of a typically climb-filled Giro and with the grind of an ITT ahead.... For those who want non-stop whizzbang there is MotoGP.

I quite like GTs as they are.... and as they have on occasion been for many years.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    1 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 85:02:40
    2 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb 0:00:38
    3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida 0:00:43
    4 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ 0:00:53
    5 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Katusha-Alpecin 0:01:21

Pinot and Zakarin aren't out of this yet either.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its tight at the top. Quintana could win it, or he could come 5th. The racing hasn't been attacking but I think they are all knackered. The GC battle is pretty absorbing though.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited May 2017

The Movistar version of the Maglia Rosa TT skinsuit really is a sight for sore eyes.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    If the times stay the same, I wonder if Pinot could actually overtake Quintana in the ITT. Could turn out to be

1. Dumoulin
    2. Nibali
    3. Pinot
    4. Quintana

Unlikely though, since stage 20 should be fireworks!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    If the times stay the same, I wonder if Pinot could actually overtake Quintana in the ITT. Could turn out to be

1. Dumoulin
    2. Nibali
    3. Pinot
    4. Quintana

Unlikely though, since stage 20 should be fireworks!
    Zakarin's not out of it either.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Agree, but 1:21 back I'm not sure he can jump the others above. Would think he would come in at 5th in that scenario.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    The worst thing about this is Quintana will really pink it up, bar tape, helmet. Mug.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Craigus89 wrote:
    The worst thing about this is Quintana will really pink it up, bar tape, helmet. Mug.

And if he has it going into the TT he'll have the knee length pink overshoes.

He'll basically look like this...

tasty-traditional-pork-sausages-frankfurter-snack-white-36281333.jpg

On a bike...

SausageRider-266x300.png
    Correlation is not causation.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    RonB wrote:

The Movistar version of the Maglia Rosa TT skinsuit really is a sight for sore eyes.

It's supplied by the race organisers, is it not? They just iron-on a massive Movistar/Sunweb/whoever logo as appropriate.

The team get to choose all the rest of the kit, including shorts on a regular stage, so they're partially responsible for making the leader look like an idiot if they go all-out pink e.g. Contador, but the crap appearance and aerodynamics of the skinsuit is entirely down to RCS.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Please don't let Quintana win. He's got absolutely no style or personailty, unless you count wheel sucking that is.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Am I missing something? Folks are all about Sunday's TT but tomorrow's stage looks way worse for TD than today's with two 1st cats seperated by a lengthy descent and not too much flat in between ... Looks like perfect Nibbles/Quintana territory to me ... Especially as TD is starting to crumple at just the wrong moment ... I reckon he won't even make the podium (ironically enough) ...

Such a shame as it's not only the lost time from the sh!tshow stage but the accumulated fatigue from riding solo to limit losses and then going back to the same well day after day ... He's not got the brain, team or DS to manage the full 3 weeks ... again ... (yet) ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    RonB wrote:

It's supplied by the race organisers, is it not? They just iron-on a massive Movistar/Sunweb/whoever logo as appropriate.

The team get to choose all the rest of the kit, including shorts on a regular stage, so they're partially responsible for making the leader look like an idiot if they go all-out pink e.g. Contador, but the crap appearance and aerodynamics of the skinsuit is entirely down to RCS.

In theory yes. But the big teams have their own mocked up. I'm pretty certain the commentators said Quintana had a team issue pink skinsuit in the last tt. Wiggins and Froome have had sky tram issues yellow ones to.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Debeli wrote:
    Well, if ever there was a really dull way to take the pink jersey that was it.

Quite a lot of moaning from various folk about how dull this stage has been and how under-par the performances of some riders have been.

I do not watch live, as that's quite a few hours of screen time, but I do see the highlights most evenings.

But I do not expect entertainment just like that. My introduction to GT races was in newspapers (L'Equipe et al) and when eventually I could see more than a few seconds on screen it all seemed a bit bizarre.... like watching chess live, but faster and with more players.

I first saw live stage racing on TV in cafes overseas.... it was nice background over a coffee or a drink.

I have been following these tours for quite some years and am a little surprised that anyone expects Vin Diesel-type bangs and skids and overtaking all the time. To the spectator, even roadside, much of stage racing in fairly uneventful.

It has always been so. I thought the non-Tom camp did quite well today, near the end of a typically climb-filled Giro and with the grind of an ITT ahead.... For those who want non-stop whizzbang there is MotoGP.

I quite like GTs as they are.... and as they have on occasion been for many years.
    I enjoyed the stage live - I thought it was a very dull performance from Quintana though.
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2017
    I was just looking through the minor classifications and this one is just baffling. How is Gaviria, who has spent all of about 600m on the front of the peloton, in second place in the combativity award? If he was Italian I could at least appreciate some sort of fiddle.

i1IOVVY.png
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    type:epyt wrote:
    Am I missing something? Folks are all about Sunday's TT but tomorrow's stage looks way worse for TD than today's with two 1st cats seperated by a lengthy descent and not too much flat in between ... Looks like perfect Nibbles/Quintana territory to me ... Especially as TD is starting to crumple at just the wrong moment ... I reckon he won't even make the podium (ironically enough) ...

Such a shame as it's not only the lost time from the sh!tshow stage but the accumulated fatigue from riding solo to limit losses and then going back to the same well day after day ... He's not got the brain, team or DS to manage the full 3 weeks ... again ... (yet) ...
    Neither of the two climbs tomorrow have the gradients to make them impossible for Dumoulin.

I think his brain's there, his pacing has been excellent. But his bowels and his team are certainly not.

Even if he doesn't win, 2 stages and however many days in pink is not bad!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Fair play to Pinot for trying.

Quintana least deserving pink jersey of all time. I can't believe how negative him and Nibali are. Have they forgotten it's a TT on Sunday? The only thing I can think of is that Movistar have somehow made Dowsett look like Quintana and he will ride the TT.

Well done to dumoulin, he fully deserves to win this Giro. But the others certainly haven't twisted the knife when it has been needed.

Am I missing something?

I think it's pretty unlikely that Quintana and Nibali are deliberately trying to put as little time as possible into Dumoulin.

Why does Dumoulin fully deserve to win the Giro any more than Quintana or Nibali?