Giro 2017: Stage 19: S.Candido/Innichen – Piancavallo 191km *Spoilers*

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    The main "peloton" has about 18 guys in it...

If the pace stays high that might cause issues for time cuts in the gruppetto.
  • bobmcstuff
    New break with 40s:

Pello Bilbao and Luis León Sánchez (Astana), Pierre Rolland (Cannondale-Drapac), Evgeny Shalunov (Gazprom-Rusvelo), Sebastian Henao (Sky) and Rui Costa (UAE Team Emirates).
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Quintana always looks underwhelming, a great talent but not a leader and without the fanatical need to win.

He can dance on the pedals but lacks the steel to be the best.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    They are now suggesting on Dutch Eurosport that people did attack Tommy D when he was having a wee.

They're not very impressed. "Ungentlemanly" would be a summation.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    They are now suggesting on Dutch Eurosport that people did attack Tommy D when he was having a wee.

Meanwhile in the Movistar team car, the DS prepares Plan B

WackyRaces7.JPG
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:

Meanwhile in the Movistar team car, the DS prepares Plan B

WackyRaces7.JPG

It's a shame because Quintana doesn't say much so it's hard to get an idea about him as a person, but his team really lets him down. Meanwhile Nibbles is just a kn0bmoomin

----

OK now they are speculating 'if' Tom made a mistake in not telling the peloton he was going for a pee. We will have to wait to hear from Tom himself.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Are these guys trying to win or they looking for the nearest cafe to get some cake?

They're running out of road and there not even trying to test dumoulin. Surely it's better to try and it not work then not try at all. These pros really need to learn a bit of panache rather then worrying about going over their watts.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    I blinked. The leaders have 6 mins.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Front wheel change for TD. Shouldn't be a drama
  • bobmcstuff
    RonB wrote:
    Front wheel change for TD. Shouldn't be a drama

Was half expecting Nibbles to go on the attack again :lol:
  • RonB
    Two lead groups have joined up and have a 7min gap with 50km to go. Highly likely that today's stage winner will be from there.
  • RichN95.
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Are these guys trying to win or they looking for the nearest cafe to get some cake?

They're running out of road and there not even trying to test dumoulin. Surely it's better to try and it not work then not try at all. These pros really need to learn a bit of panache rather then worrying about going over their watts.
    There's no point. Dumoulin has already asked them all to stop in half an hour so he can watch Bargain Hunt
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    edited May 2017
    rozzer32 wrote:

I think you might have missed the 50 km of this stage where they launched an all-out assault on him. I'm not a pro, but I suspect now that's over they might want to conserve a bit of energy for the summit finish, rather than mess around launching an attack on a pan-flat piece of road... :roll:
    RichN95 wrote:
    There's no point. Dumoulin has already asked them all to stop in half an hour so he can watch Bargain Hunt

In fairness to Dumoulin, he didn't blame those guys for poo-gate, it was only yesterday that he kicked off in regard to them not doing any racing...
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    RichN95 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

'Tom's found this genuine antique country toilet unit, little used and with excellent accessibility. He's tickled pink about it'.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    rozzer32 wrote:

I think you might have missed the 50 km of this stage where they launched an all-out assault on him. I'm not a pro, but I suspect now that's over they might want to conserve a bit of energy for that final climb... :roll:
    RichN95 wrote:

In fairness to Dumoulin, he didn't blame those guys for poo-gate, it was only yesterday that he kicked off in regard to them not doing any racing...

Nope I watched that. That's my point, they had him on the ropes chasing and then they just let him and his team come back and now set a recovery pace on the front. Yes it was far from the finish but they should have kept driving the pace. It might not have worked but surely it was worth the risk. Now it's time for a coffee and a couple of soft attacks on the last climb.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

'Tom's found this genuine antique country toilet unit, little used and with excellent accessibility. He's tickled pink about it'.

You're pulling my chain, mate
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • above_the_cows
    rozzer32 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

I think you might have missed the 50 km of this stage where they launched an all-out assault on him. I'm not a pro, but I suspect now that's over they might want to conserve a bit of energy for that final climb... :roll:
    RichN95 wrote:

Nope I watched that. That's my point, they had him on the ropes chasing and then they just let him and his team come back and now set a recovery pace on the front. Yes it was far from the finish but they should have kept driving the pace. It might not have worked but surely it was worth the risk. Now it's time for a coffee and a couple of soft attacks on the last climb.

If pee gate actually happened, then I think that would have been a bit rum really and Nairo/Nibbles would have been forever known as the person who won the Giro 2017 by attacking the Maglia Rosa while he was taking a leak. Even Nibali isn't that much of a d*ck.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Spaniards in the break having a good chuckle between themselves.
  • TheBigBean
    Break has 10m35s now.
  • bobmcstuff
    rozzer32 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

RichN95 wrote:

I don't think they "just let" Dumoulin come back - it was a concerted effort by Mollema, Kruijswijk and Yates that brought Dumoulin back. The group was only around 20 guys when they got back on.

Then once he had come back, they were hardly going to keep pushing: Nairo was solo and Nibs was down to one guy. They wanted their domestiques back too.
  • TheBigBean
    Looks to be about 18km for the front group to get to the start of the climb. Will probably take the peloton an hour or so.
  • TheBigBean
    Leaders start the climb. Peloton are now a mere 10 mins behind.
  • bobmcstuff
    *** HANDBAGS ALERT *** HANDBAGS ALERT ***

Trek rider throws bidon at Amador of Movistar.
  • RichN95.
    Oooo. Somebody's tired
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    One Trek rider (Alfaci?) won't be in Milan.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    Dumoulin is in trouble.
  • TheBigBean
    He needs a Froome crack and recovery.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Odd.
    Now he's back.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RonB
    edited May 2017
    3rd time lucky for Landa? He's at the front with Costa now. Still 10km to go
  • TheBigBean
    Dumoulin back on.