Sir Bradley Wiggins - What a turncoat sellout twat.

ZMC888
ZMC888 Posts: 292
edited May 2017 in The bottom bracket
Settling down to watch Eurosport. I have an image that can never be unseen.

Sir Bradley Wiggins driving a fucking Skoda. Apparently this front wheel drive boredom on wheels child lung poisoning death cage re-baged Volkswagen Nazi staff car is better than cycling and what he really likes. Just fuck right off you sell-out parasite.

That felt better. :lol:

p.s. If you are a former pro cyclist looking to make some coin try maybe advertising a product that doesn't kill thousands of cyclists a year and pollutes the air they breathe.

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Nah, just idiocy.

Do you think there's something about it being front wheel drive that particularly offends him? Or did the beer goggles actually make that bit look good?

Disclaimer: I used to own a Skoda. It wasn't front-wheel drive, it certainly wasn't boring, I never poisoned anyone's lungs with it because it's cities with ridiculous population densities that do that, I'm not quite sure what "death cage" means, it may have been a re-badged VW but was better than the equivalent Golf, it's no more a Nazi staff car than your Shimano cassette is a torture implement used by Japanese camp guards, and yes, if I had to transport my family and all our gear 200 miles, I liked it a damn sight better than cycling.

Oh, and if I remember rightly, the total number of cyclists I killed in the 60,000 or so miles I did in it was zero. Although you do get some cyclists where you think "well maybe I should..."
  • ZMC888
    bompington wrote:
    Nah, just idiocy.

Do you think there's something about it being front wheel drive that particularly offends him? Or did the beer goggles actually make that bit look good?

Disclaimer: I used to own a Skoda. It wasn't front-wheel drive, it certainly wasn't boring, I never poisoned anyone's lungs with it because it's cities with ridiculous population densities that do that, I'm not quite sure what "death cage" means, it may have been a re-badged VW but was better than the equivalent Golf, it's no more a Nazi staff car than your Shimano cassette is a torture implement used by Japanese camp guards, and yes, if I had to transport my family and all our gear 200 miles, I liked it a damn sight better than cycling.

Oh, and if I remember rightly, the total number of cyclists I killed in the 60,000 or so miles I did in it was zero. Although you do get some cyclists where you think "well maybe I should..."
    Yes, cars have a place. For the disabled and being crushed into a cube.

I was mostly joking and only half serious.
  • ZMC888
    oxoman wrote:
    Do I detect jealousy. Mans got to make a living somehow, he also has to drive something. Nazism is only in minds of bigots and idiots. Nothing wrong with diesels especially modern ones, certainly an improvement on petrol fume spewing stop start cars.
    Advertising a car is the only way he can make a living? What are you freaking serious?
    Diesel fumes are terrible or people's health...don't you read the news?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    So when Sky was sponsored by Jaguar (Landrover - Tata) - so effectively partially paying Wiggins' wages - there was a huge difference somehow?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ZMC888
    So when Sky was sponsored by Jaguar (Landrover - Tata) - so effectively partially paying Wiggins' wages - there was a huge difference somehow?
    Yeah, because that was his job, his bread and butter - his career, you have to deal with your sponsors fair enough. Other pro riders are be killed by cars and then you're in a fucking car ad, it's fucking vile.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Every means of earning a coin can be tainted.
    If you try hard enough.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    ZMC888 wrote:
    Yeah, because that was his job, his bread and butter - his career, you have to deal with your sponsors fair enough. Other pro riders are be killed by cars and then you're in a ******* car ad, it's ******* vile.
    The logical end of this argument is that every cyclist should shun all cars, in fact that all cars should be banned (and anything else that could lead to death).

But I don't think logic has a lot to do with it, does it?
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    In terms of his profile with Joe Public, Wiggins is probably as high right now as he will ever be. If Skoda come along and say here's a 3 year sponsorship deal, a Million quid (or some other presumably large sum) and can you stand over there and tell everyone how great our cars are, I think he'd be foolish to turn it down.

His potential to earn those big bucks will drop away pretty fast over the next few years. Fair game I say, he has a family to provide for.
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    but cars are great ... why wouldn't he advertise them

I commute, cycle at the weekends, cycle online, tow my kid around .... yet I have cars and love them .... and motorbikes.

why are so many of the cycling community binary in there nature .... there are stong links I am sure with Brainwashed cyclists and the brainwashed religious
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Don't Skoda spend quite a lot of money sponsoring cycling events, makes sense for them to have a cyclist advertising for them. As said above, makes sense for him to take the money now as well. There's only one thing in this thread that doesn't make sense.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Nothing wrong with what he's advertising in my opinion. Plenty of room in the back for carrying cycles and comes in petrol if you don't like diesel.

If I could afford it, I'd buy one.

The older I get, the better I was.

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I drive a far bigger and less environmentally friendly vehicle at the moment, might get one of these as my next company car if the 4x4 with a sensible sized engine isn't ridiculously expensive. First saw it on the Wiggo advert and no doubt advertising has worked on me
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Capt Slog wrote:
    If I could afford it, I'd buy one.
    Likewise. Sometimes get them as hire cars if out visiting customers. Might be down to the spec of the hire cars but the Skoda Octavia is a nicer car to drive than the Merc C class, most odd.
  • haydenm
    Is this new one meant to be more 'off road' than the Yeti? The yetis get a good rep at work, I think I'd go for the Octavia Scout though (need 4x4)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    He was in my local dealership for the launch of the new skoda - really nice bloke according to the staff - very quiet in real life.

I dont see any problem with the sponsorship - I drive a skoda and i've not crushed anyone.
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    HaydenM wrote:
    Is this new one meant to be more 'off road' than the Yeti? The yetis get a good rep at work, I think I'd go for the Octavia Scout though (need 4x4)

It's a 7 seater so equivalent to Hyundai Santa Fe or cheap version of Volvo XC90/Audi Q7. We've got 5 kids so i looked at one, very nice but the two rear seats are only good for very small kids (under 10) so i didnt bother having a test drive.

Looked smart tho and not bad value if you only need occasional 7 seats. I ended up ordering another Kia Sorento, have been v pleased with mine
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • haydenm
    HaydenM wrote:

It's a 7 seater so equivalent to Hyundai Santa Fe or cheap version of Volvo XC90/Audi Q7. We've got 5 kids so i looked at one, very nice but the two rear seats are only good for very small kids (under 10) so i didnt bother having a test drive.

Looked smart tho and not bad value if you only need occasional 7 seats. I ended up ordering another Kia Sorento, have been v pleased with mine

Fair enough, just wondered whether it was higher off the ground than the yeti really, when I say I need a 4x4 it just needs to take forest road abuse and have 4wd. My current pickup is a bit excessive with the goodrich AT tyres and a billion inches of suspension for 3hrs on the motorway then a day in the woods. The seat is made for oafs and I'm a midget so I get a bad back and I want something more user friendly. The problem is the company car tax on a car rather than a pickup is quite unfair if you need a 4x4 for work (generally poor mpg and higher value)
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Don't Skoda spend quite a lot of money sponsoring cycling events, makes sense for them to have a cyclist advertising for them. As said above, makes sense for him to take the money now as well. There's only one thing in this thread that doesn't make sense.

My thoughts too. Wiggins is also still promoting the Wiggins team as well isn't he?

We could go back to the "good old days" when booze and fags were the only sponsors of major sports. Or he could jump on board with the online gambling sponsors that have taken over in many sports.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    I love my car. I only drive a few thousand miles a year just to put a smile on my face. 350bhp and 4 wheel drive. Much fun.

Though I am looking forward to getting an electric car one day. Soon as <5 second 0-60 becomes affordable.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    oxoman wrote:
    Do I detect jealousy. Mans got to make a living somehow, he also has to drive something. Nazism is only in minds of bigots and idiots. Nothing wrong with diesels especially modern ones, certainly an improvement on petrol fume spewing stop start cars.

Have you missed the VW emissions scandal?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Shock horror, ex sportsman decides to capitalise on his fame to make some money for his family.

Whatever next :roll:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ZMC888 wrote:
    Yeah, because that was his job, his bread and butter - his career, you have to deal with your sponsors fair enough. Other pro riders are be killed by cars and then you're in a ******* car ad, it's ******* vile.

It's still his job. Have you ever heard of Team Wiggins?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    My sister used to get Greenpeace activists cruising through the private, company car park looking for 4x4s to leaflet. All if them are spawn of Satan with they're high mpg and nasty murdering fumes.

Until you actually looked at the fact it's a Honda. Mpg, carbon emissions, particulate emissions, etc were lower than any of the.alternatives she could get as a company car. This just.happened to also be the biggest with the most space for a growing family. So greener and more practical than the alternatives including super-mini class alternatives.

She still got abused and leafleted frequently by the active local Greenpeace group. Seems green types don't actually want to listen to any real facts just their brainwashed ideas.

BTW my little astra diesel at the time was co2 rated higher such that it got £200 or so VED bill. Her bill was something really low like £110. A mate got 1.7 litre tdi Audi and paid zero VED. Admittedly it got shown to be one of the cars affected by the VW scandal I believe but still a lot better than my car at the time.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    What on odd thread.
  • kingstongraham
    A mate got 1.7 litre tdi Audi and paid zero VED. Admittedly it got shown to be one of the cars affected by the VW scandal I believe but still a lot better than my car at the time.

I wouldn't be sure it was "better".

"The Jetta and Passat emissions were fine when they tested them on rollers in a specially equipped garage. But when they took the Jetta out on the road and hooked up their gear, the car started producing nitrogen oxides in quantities that were off the charts. It was producing way more nitrogen oxides than a modern long-haul diesel lorry; the Passat was better, but still far above the legal limits.

Vehicle A – the Jetta – emitted up to 35 times the legal limit of nitrogen oxide on the road. The car never fell below regulatory limits in driving conditions. Vehicle B – the Passat – was up to 20 times over. Vehicle C, the BMW, was “vastly different,” the study said. It exceeded pollution limits only in uphill driving, and then only by a factor of ten."
  • ZMC888
    mrfpb wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

My thoughts too. Wiggins is also still promoting the Wiggins team as well isn't he?

We could go back to the "good old days" when booze and fags were the only sponsors of major sports. Or he could jump on board with the online gambling sponsors that have taken over in many sports.

Cars are the new tobacco. In terms of large urban areas they absolutely should be banned. Think of all the air pollution produced, the land wasted on parking areas. People all say they need it/rely on it, but really for every drive in the rain with a full payload over 20km there are 100 under 5km with one person in it. An exercise in total selfishness and entitlement, even without considering the death and carnage, obesity and poor fitness of most drivers.

I think cars should be treated as a sometimes necessary evil, and definitely not glorified especially by a former professional cyclist in a year where so many professionals have been killed by cars.

If you like cars, fair enough you have a right to express your opinion, but then again, I also have the right to have the opinion of hating them.
  • haydenm
    My sister used to get Greenpeace activists cruising through the private, company car park looking for 4x4s to leaflet. All if them are spawn of Satan with they're high mpg and nasty murdering fumes.

Until you actually looked at the fact it's a Honda. Mpg, carbon emissions, particulate emissions, etc were lower than any of the.alternatives she could get as a company car. This just.happened to also be the biggest with the most space for a growing family. So greener and more practical than the alternatives including super-mini class alternatives.

She still got abused and leafleted frequently by the active local Greenpeace group. Seems green types don't actually want to listen to any real facts just their brainwashed ideas.

BTW my little astra diesel at the time was co2 rated higher such that it got £200 or so VED bill. Her bill was something really low like £110. A mate got 1.7 litre tdi Audi and paid zero VED. Admittedly it got shown to be one of the cars affected by the VW scandal I believe but still a lot better than my car at the time.

Greenpeace can f*ck off. They attract people who don't actually know anything about environmental issues but read the guardian and vote green. In my job I am responsible for 30,000ha of sustainably managed forestry (sequestering 4x as much carbon in soil as in the timber) to a standard which they and others endorse http://www.greenpeace.org/international ... t-destruc/

Even in government agencies we spend a lot of time reading the relevant EU directives to them which it is their job to know. People are stupid.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    The Passport spam threads are more interesting than this drivel
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The Passport spam threads are more interesting than this drivel

Agreed - and at least with the spam threads, you know they will get deleted (eventually)...
  • kingstongraham
    And they don't get people posting "I'm bored bored bored" on them.