Affordable bib shorts

Mossd88
Mossd88 Posts: 7
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a new pair of bib shorts for a good price, I don't want to get anything too pricey as they wouldn't get the use, but something that's comfortable fits well with fairly regular use. I've been looking at the altura ergo fit comp, what do you think??

Comments

• sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    I guess it all depends on what you call affordable...mine have all been bought in the "sales" that always appear to be available from one of the usual suspects,chain reactions,wiggle Evans etc. for around the £50 mark.
    Craft,Revelo and Dhb all been good for rides of up to 100miles (could have ridden further) ....the cheaper options from the likes of sports direct were ok for up to 30-40 miles to begin with but got worse after more use/washing.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,139
    Can recommend these thoroughly.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-bib-shorts/

The latest budget dhb. Simple, decent cut with long leg length, quality lycra, good pad. There are better shorts out there but not for £25. I use them for my commuting shorts but have gone on 60 milers with them no problem. And I still have a 5 year old version of their predecessors in use for commuting / turbo, so I expect they will hold up well.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    yep cant go wrong with DHB
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    Worth spending extra of those DHB ones over the Aldi ones available from Sunday for ~£13?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Lusso from Merlin.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Shout out here for the Endura FS260. Not serious money but excellent IMHO

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-fs260-pr ... 60764878uk
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Check out Lusso - IMHO best value out there (and made in Manchester).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    Caratti Sport Bib Shorts, and B'Twin Aerofit Cycling bib shorts, either of these two are under $60
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    Unfortunately you don't specify a value.

Fwiw I bought 2 pairs of cheap Altura shorts and hated both the material and the pad. Reduced from £50 to £18. I wore one pair before I realised how horrid they were, so could only send one pair back. The surviving example I wanted my moneys worth out of, so hammered them on the turbo until they delightfully fell apart and I could justify binning them.

Galibier are well worth a look too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,139
    Worth spending extra of those DHB ones over the Aldi ones available from Sunday for ~£13?

Hell yeah. Main problem with any of the Aldi cycling clothes is the cut (and styling); they just don't compare to a proper cycling brand. The softshell jackets are a case in point; outstanding value, decent fabric; but when you're on the drops there is tonnes of loose fabric flapping around your middle. The shorts actually have an OK pad; not as good as the dhb but way better than budget decathlon or sports direct - I just think the cut looks and feels awful.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If there was one bit of clothing I would not scrimp on it is bib shorts. The difference between cheap and good is massive. Like others, I've found dhb to be good and Lusso have attracted good comments on here consistently.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I only own/wear DHB bib shorts and I've got no complaints.
    For the money they are great.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I have DBH aerons which were around £55, might not be worth the Aerons over the normal ones. I was wearing some Lusso ones before these which were fine but something about the stitching on my thigh made them rub really badly, first noticed it on the second day of a very long ride and now even the thought of it on shorter rides puts me off wearing them. Obviously that is personal but they were good shorts otherwise, the DBH ones feel a bit 'nicer' to me though
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    HaydenM wrote:
    I was wearing some Lusso ones before these which were fine but something about the stitching on my thigh made them rub really badly.
    As Hayden indicates, we are all different but, for balance, I have never had any such issues with my Lussos and have done a few 1000 miles in several different pairs. FWIW, I can give current comparisons with the Santini and Rapha counterparts - IMHO better than the former and not quite as good as the latter (but about a third of the price!).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Might be worthwhile signing up to Sport Pursuit - they have good deals on most of the time. They usually have the Rivello range, of which the Honister bibshort is very good - usually £50 from about £120 I seem to remember.
    They have other cycling brands periodically with big discounts as well. The only downside is once you have signed up you'll get about two emails every day.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Aldi's shorts were good in my experience. polaris sport have been good for me too at sale prices
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    arlowood wrote:
    Shout out here for the Endura FS260. Not serious money but excellent IMHO

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-fs260-pr ... 60764878uk

Don't find them that great to be honest...
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    I adore these - Wiggle had them on offer for £49.99 a while back, bought one short pair, which are too short, but i use those on the turbo, and then two of these with the narrow pad in XS:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-pro-sl-long-bib-shorts-narrow-pad/

Narrow pad is really supportive, but not intrusive, and fits perfectly (As their chart says) with a Fizik Arione, and I guess, my narrow @rse.

Love it so much, just ordered another 3, as see they are back in stock, and utilised their current discount codes.

If you use Wiggle1 you can get 2 pairs for £105.

*They have medium and wide pad variants too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gremlin750
    gremlin750 Posts: 4
    I've got a pair of these ones from decathlon:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-cycling ... 54170.html

and find them fine for long rides. Done 100+ miles and they were still comfy. They use the same pad on the full length version that I've been using most of the winter.
  • Mossd88
    Mossd88 Posts: 7
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, decided to go for a pair of dhbs in the end. Thanks for the help:)
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer