Garmin HRM which type or other brand?

photonic69
photonic69 Posts: 2,411
HI.

After using my hard plastic type HRM for about 18 months I had to replace the battery. This went well and it worked for half a ride before giving crazy readings. The rubber seal had failed. The battery hole filled with sweat and shorted/rusted the battery.

I cleaned it all out. Filled void with Silicone Electrical Grease and lubed the seal. This has sort of worked but the strap is now on borrowed time so I need to replace.

What options? Like for like (though I'd use more grease in battery cover from day 1). Soft strap? Third party HRM?

Thanks.

PS - need it ASAP so if I can get it from Amazon Prime it would help.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Monitor ... B000UOD5QM

got one in 2009, still ok, battery lasts a couple of years, had no issue with the cover, it gets dunked in water for cleaning
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Yup. That's the one I have and has failed. Always gave it a wipe down with baby wipes and dried with kitchen roll after each use. Lasted 18 months as I said. Just not sure if I'd be wasting my money getting this one again?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    clearly we have totally different experience of the same product, neither of us has enough data to actually say if it's good or bad compared to competing products

stuff fails, with a large enough number of devices in service, someone will experience failure, but the failure rate vs. population could still be the best on the market

fwiw i see more reports of soft strap failure, but without knowing the relative populations there's no way of knowing whether it's more or less likely to fail

if your current one failed after less than two years it is still under warranty, you should be able to get it replaced though it will not be as quick as amazon prime!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • delv4
    delv4 Posts: 28
    Keep the Garmin HR monitor but clip it in to the Polar HR strap
    (Note you will need to pair away some black plastic around the clips on the strap for the Garmin sensor to fit the Polar strap)
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    My Garmin HR strap failed too after about 14 months. There are quite a number of complaints about the Garmin straps failing.

I picked up a Geonaute strap from Decathlon very cheaply. Works exactly like the Garmin and is picked up by my Garmin Edge 520 on ant+ without any problem. How long it will last I have no idea, but it's done 4 months without any problem.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Wahoo Tickr Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity ready for when you ditch the Garmin and buy an Elemnt.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Garmin HR with either a polar or Geonaute strap from Decathlon. I got a 4iiii one recently as it has Bluetooth for Zwift, expensive but seems to be batter made.
  • I've had two Garmin 'premium' hrm - both died within 6 months despite following all the care instructions and replacing the batteries.
    I've been using this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-heart- ... ansmitter/ - £18 and works fine so far.
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    Get them to replace it FOC. 18 months isn't long enough.