Camera Recommendations

shaun668
shaun668 Posts: 52
edited May 2017 in Road general
Those of you that use a video camera can you recommend one that would ideally be mounted on the handle bars as opposed to helmet mount as this morning I was deliberately targeted by a car and nearly knocked off.
I overtook a parked car outside a garage as the driver was walking around the front to get into the drivers seat, about one minute later he swerves at me missing me by inches while the passenger was shouting out of the window at me, he was going that fast that he had to heavily correct the steering to avoid hitting the kerb and crashing.
I've got the car reg number but I feel it's a waste of time contacting the police as without video evidence they can't do anything hence the request for camera recommendations.

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    SJCam, cheap and does a good job.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Ive got a fly 6, works really well, the fly 12 gets good write ups so I'd take a look at that.

Definitely talk to the police, they probably won't prosecute without evidence but they may well take a statement from the driver which may make him think twice in the future.
  • the_jackalcp
    the_jackalcp Posts: 276
    Hawkeye firefly 7s

Cheap on gearbest, 1080p 60fps is very good quality
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • ianlash
    ianlash Posts: 147
    Fly6 and Fly12. Both easy to use, have integrated lights and good battery length. I used to have the original Garmin Virb Elite, which was okay, but not as easy to use (as it did not automatically overwrite the memory card).
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    ianlash wrote:
    Fly6 and Fly12. Both easy to use, have integrated lights and good battery length. I used to have the original Garmin Virb Elite, which was okay, but not as easy to use (as it did not automatically overwrite the memory card).

Don't leave you much change from £400 though !
  • ianlash
    kingrollo wrote:
    ianlash wrote:

Don't leave you much change from £400 though !

I got the Fly6 (for the rear) for £70 in a sale and the Fly12 (for the front) for £175 new on Ebay, but I agree they are not cheap, but I think they are worth it especially as they are also rechargeable lights.
  • vrsmatt
    vrsmatt Posts: 160
    I have an original Virb and its excellent, can be mounted very neatly on the underside of an k-edge out front mount (as can all hardware that will take a go-pro style mount or adapter)
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • ianlash
    VRSMatt wrote:
    I have an original Virb and its excellent, can be mounted very neatly on the underside of an k-edge out front mount (as can all hardware that will take a go-pro style mount or adapter)

Have they updated the firmware so it overwrites the memory card when it is full? I used to have to delete the videos or format the card, which was a PITA.
  • shaun668
    shaun668 Posts: 52
    Stueys wrote:
    Ive got a fly 6, works really well, the fly 12 gets good write ups so I'd take a look at that.

Definitely talk to the police, they probably won't prosecute without evidence but they may well take a statement from the driver which may make him think twice in the future.

I have done this, unfortunately without camera evidence they can't prosecute but will be speaking with the car owner. Thanks for the camera recommendations.
  • vrsmatt
    vrsmatt Posts: 160
    ianlash wrote:
    VRSMatt wrote:

Have they updated the firmware so it overwrites the memory card when it is full? I used to have to delete the videos or format the card, which was a PITA.

No Idea

I always find the battery runs out long before the memory card is full. 3 hours and 20 mins continuous is all the battery will do, the memory card will hold way more...
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    VRSMatt wrote:

I have the Virb Elite and it has been terrible. Temperamental as to whether it charges or not, switches off when it feels like it too. I wished I'd gone for the Shimano CM1000 instead.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.