£1000 - £1500 Bikes

dormer88
dormer88 Posts: 110
edited May 2017 in Road beginners
Hi All,

I'm looking at purchasing a new bike. I currently have a Cube Peloton 2015 model with 105.

I'm going to use the Cycle to Work scheme for the majority of the bike but wondered what was out there to maybe put £200/£300 down of my own money.

I've been looking at the Cube Attain SL, is this much of an upgrade from my current bike?

I would like to move away from Cube and try something new but am open to any ideas.

Appreciate your help.

Comments

• jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    Loads of good bikes in that range. It can be a nice but tough position to be in. (just been thru it myself)

Have a think about what you like about your cube and what you don't like

Have a think about what you're going to use it for. Long days in the saddle/bombing around?

Then go with the sexiest
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    On that money you are looking for carbon frame and 105 groupset, for example Cube Attain GTC, Trek Domane S 4, Canyon Endurace CF 8.0, all are better than SL. Even cannondale caad 12 is better, but you get the most value from canyon. Check also rose bikes too. Those are endurance bikes, if you are looking for racing, you can find similar specked bikes on similar price. Disc brakes are good to have but not essential so dont think them 2 much

By the way the bike that you already own is an excellent bike.
  • dormer88
    Thanks for getting back to me.

I like the idea of upgrading and moving away from the Cube, although the one mentioned above looks a good bike.

Would you say the Cannondale Caad 12 is a better bike than my current one?
  • yiannism
    dormer88 wrote:
    Thanks for getting back to me.

I like the idea of upgrading and moving away from the Cube, although the one mentioned above looks a good bike.

Would you say the Cannondale Caad 12 is a better bike than my current one?

It is, but not by much, the best value for your money are the canyon's. On your price range a road buddy got bianchi intenso with 105, but the market in Cyprus is deferent than UK, so i cant really give you a proper advice. That one is certainly better, with carbon frame, you will need to upgrade during the time the brakes (around 70 euros) and the wheels, but again the same you can said about every bike. You can also search about Orbea Avant series (endurance) that i ride (Avant H30 2015) and i am loving it. Good value for money too.

Anyway, i dont really think that you need an upgrade right now, unless you feel that your current bike is holding you back, but keep in mind that the bike is no more than the 15% max 20% of the performance.
  • dormer88
    Thanks.

I think it's the idea of having a new bike rather than needing one!

What's your opinion on the Giant TCR Advanced 2.

Better frame with the same groupset as current?
  • yiannism
    dormer88 wrote:
    Thanks.

I think it's the idea of having a new bike rather than needing one!

What's your opinion on the Giant TCR Advanced 2.

Better frame with the same groupset as current?

Giant are great bikes no doubt about it, but are you sure that you want a racing bike? if you dont race, or doesnt plan to race, you dont really need a race bike, is better to go with an endurance one, much more comfortable in expense of some (but not by much) speed. If you want to look for Giant check the Defy series.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    In case you are not aware, Rutland accept Cyclescheme and you can use it on sales bikes, but those on sale need 11% added to the sale price.
    This would make the Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016 ~£1110 if the 58cm or 60cm fits you, I think you would struggle to beat that spec, my new 58cm from Rutland feels great so far (I got it for £900 in their bank hol sale last weekend without using a scheme).
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/320630/p ... -grey.aspx

They have the Attain SL Disc 2016 too in 60cm, which would be covered entirely by a £1k voucher, https://www.rutlandcycling.com/320628/p ... black.aspx

Pauls Cycles also accept Cyclescheme on sales bikes with an 11% fee on top of the sales price.
    https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/info/cyclescheme.php
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • joncomelately
    joncomelately Posts: 660
    Never really had expensive bikes before buying a CAAD12 and upgrading the wheels with some Hunts, so my range of experience isn't wide (I'd borrowed a Cervelo S1 for several months prior to the 'dale) but I absolutely love it.

Surely 'better' is a very subjective thing, somewhat independent of spec. If it's cycle 2 work type thing, could you ask the retailer with whom the scheme is to bring in a few and test ride them?
  • dormer88
    Thanks for all the replies.

Shows how little my knowledge is not knowing the advanced was a race bike. I would rather have a more comfy ride with the option of entering some cat 4 races.

Going to have a look today, still very undecided.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    dormer88 wrote:

Shows how little my knowledge is not knowing the advanced was a race bike. I would rather have a more comfy ride with the option of entering some cat 4 races.

Just remember, that if you have discs you can't race any BC races.
  • dormer88
    Hi,

Didn't know about discs so that rules a couple of bikes out.

If you were to choose between these 3 bikes;

Cannondale Caad12 105
    Giant TCR Advanced 2
    Trek Edmonda 6

I feel like I have narrowed it down to these 3.
  • yiannism
    All 3 are excellent bikes, the deferences are small. Now you need to test drive them, and decide who is better for you.
  • dormer88
    Thanks all.
  • dormer88 wrote:

Just remember, that if you have discs you can't race any BC races.

Yeah there is some insane safety legislation that forbids their use. Apparently it is due to a cycling crash during some race that then involved one cyclist removing his front disk and using it to strike at another competitors throat "for causing the crash". Since then disks have been banned. There are even rules on deep section wheels I think.
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    My mate has a TCR and finds it a bit of a bone shaker. If we're going out for an hour or 2 hours max he will ride it. Anything longer and he says he finds it too uncomfortable.

I don't think it's the all rounder you're looking for. The Trek would be closer to that mould. I looked at the Emonda but I couldn't get excited about it personally.

I would look again at the Cube Attain range. I've got the Attain GTC Pro disc. Not as racy as some of your other options but if you want to put 70+ miles down it will be more forgiving

Alternatively assuming you don't have to sell your current bike, you can go racier and keep the peloton for the sportives/longer rides?
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™