32mm tyres: Marathon Supreme, Voyager Hyper or something else?

mrb123
mrb123 Posts: 4,612
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for some new tyres to go on the winter/bad weather bike.

Had Vittoria Randonneur Pros on there previously which have been good but I fancy a change.

I think 32mm is about the right size for the bike in question. I'm not looking to go tubeless.

As the bike gets used in all conditions, all year round (including the odd foray onto gravel railway paths) my priorities are grip in the wet and dry, and puncture resistance, though obviously decent speed/lack of rolling resistance would be a bonus.

Voyager Hypers and Marathon Supremes seem the obvious choices. So which of those should I go for? Or isn't there much between them? Or should I consider something else?

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Here's a link to rolling resistance tests on the Hyper. It's fast - on a par with race tyres like the Rubino pro, Michelin Pro 4 and Conti Grand Prix and quicker than the Marathon Supreme. This is because it is effectively an oversized race tyre in construction with its thin tread and high tpi flexible carcass giving a great ride but reduced puncture resistance and mileage. I have a pair on my tourer and they feel comfortable and quick. But they are very oversized - much bigger than any other 32mm tyre I've tried such as Marathon, Conti Top Touring, Panaracer Pasela, Victoria Randonneur. I had to switch to my wider mudguards because they were too tight under the fork crown. I bought them because they were less than £30 a pair from Planet X.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... hyper-2016

Here's the link to the Marathon Supreme. I have never tried them but they are highly recommended, still quick for a touring tyre and with better puncture protection than the Hypers.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... preme-2016
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Marathon Supreme is available as a tubeless easy version, so that would seem to be a plus.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    The Hyper Voyagers are good but I went for a pair of 38mm which, whilst pretty plush, are VERY big. They're on my 'crosser though and thought if I had the clearance, why not? In hindsight, kind of wish id gone for them in 32, or maybe 35mm instead. Have been a good tyre...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • mrb123
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Here's a link to rolling resistance tests on the Hyper. It's fast - on a par with race tyres like the Rubino pro, Michelin Pro 4 and Conti Grand Prix and quicker than the Marathon Supreme. This is because it is effectively an oversized race tyre in construction with its thin tread and high tpi flexible carcass giving a great ride but reduced puncture resistance and mileage. I have a pair on my tourer and they feel comfortable and quick. But they are very oversized - much bigger than any other 32mm tyre I've tried such as Marathon, Conti Top Touring, Panaracer Pasela, Victoria Randonneur. I had to switch to my wider mudguards because they were too tight under the fork crown. I bought them because they were less than £30 a pair from Planet X.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... hyper-2016

Here's the link to the Marathon Supreme. I have never tried them but they are highly recommended, still quick for a touring tyre and with better puncture protection than the Hypers.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... preme-2016

Thanks. I had seen those rolling resistance reviews.

Clearance shouldn't be a problem as I've got 35mm tyres on there at the moment.

I think I'm currently leaning towards the Marathon Supremes as they still seem to score well on the rolling resistance tests but potentially have a bit more durability and puncture resistance. The only thing I'm not clear on is which are likely to offer better grip on dodgy road surfaces. I suspect that the Voyager Hypers may be slightly better as they are listed as having a higher TPI.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I find the grip of the Hypers to be fine but another forum contributor has previously blamed them for him skidding off the road and crashing into a tree.

I bought them because they were so cheap and am happy with my purchase but the extra mileage and durability of the Supremes would probably tip the balance if you want to do more off-road stuff.

The Panaracer Pasela would be another good option. It's got more tread than the other two so would have more grip off road.
  • mrb123
    Mercia Man wrote:
    I find the grip of the Hypers to be fine but another forum contributor has previously blamed them for him skidding off the road and crashing into a tree.

I bought them because they were so cheap and am happy with my purchase but the extra mileage and durability of the Supremes would probably tip the balance if you want to do more off-road stuff.

The Panaracer Pasela would be another good option. It's got more tread than the other two so would have more grip off road.

Cheers. I'll have a look at the Panaracers.

The Hypers are currently £21.99 at Planet X in the 32mm size (other sizes are cheaper) so with their postage costs there's not much difference in price with the Marathons that can be found elsewhere for £27.99.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Challenge Strada Bianca might be worth a look. A bit more expensive, but really nice tyres.
  • Recently I've read positive comments on the Panaracer Gravel King SKs, the 32c comes in at ~35mm.

Or there is always the 30c G-One Speed.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mrb123
    JamesEs wrote:
    Challenge Strada Bianca might be worth a look. A bit more expensive, but really nice tyres.

Had considered them but they're a bit pricey as you say, plus I've seen some conflicting reports on puncture resistance.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    At the price the Hyper are unbeatable. Even at the same price as others (rrp) they're probably still better. I'd say the G-One 35c are better all round (they're now called that too) but they are expensive.

If you can fit them you can't go wrong with the Hyper. And in terms of the fairy, met her once in thousands of miles.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • At the price the Hyper are unbeatable. Even at the same price as others (rrp) they're probably still better. I'd say the G-One 35c are better all round (they're now called that too) but they are expensive.

If you can fit them you can't go wrong with the Hyper. And in terms of the fairy, met her once in thousands of miles.

I wish that was my experience, down here in flinty West Sussex I had seven (7!) punctures in one damp week, three on one day. No repeats due to stuff left in the tyre, all different places, all 'in and out' punctures.
    That week was the culmination of a few weeks where I was getting regular PF visits anyway, shame as they were lovely tyres.
    Maybe I should give them another try!
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    I had the Hypers in 35 which are a big 35. They looked massive but they were plush and fast even down to 30psi. They were my favourite tyre for the first 1500 miles, but then the punctures started coming thick and fast despite looking hardly worn.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    I think I'm currently leaning towards the Marathon Supremes as they still seem to score well on the rolling resistance tests but potentially have a bit more durability and puncture resistance.

I have a pair of marathon supreme 32s that I'm looking to sell. They've only been used for maybe 5 miles, so as new (with molding plastic still on the crown, etc) - just enough to accept that they're just a little to wide for a dolan fxe. If you're interested let me know!