Seized Seapost

KevinA
KevinA Posts: 492
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Hi Guys

I have just tried to lift my seat post up a bit to try a new position as I think the current position could be affecting my pedalling stroke and I can't shift it for the life of me.

Its an Oltre Full Carbon Aero seat post so I don't have the luxury of being able to twist and pull, it has to be pulled directly up.

I have tried to heat the seat post/frame with a kettle and WD40 around the top where the clamp is (I moved the clamp up)

As this is a carbon bike would heating the frame with a hairdryer work?

Advice would be appreciated as I have been quoted £80 for it to be removed and would rather avoid this incase I have to also buy a new seat post.

Thanks

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Try something like plusgas.
  • KevinA
    Is that not the same as WD40?
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    No. Plusgas is a penetrating lubricant. WD40 is a moisture dispersant.
  • KevinA
    Thanks, I will pick that up and give it a try.

Is heating the frame where the seat post goes down with a hairdryer a bad/good idea? I don't want to damage the frame

The seaport can be replaced but the frame is a different kettle of fish.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    If it still wont budge try taking off the saddle and putting something with a similar diameter as the saddle rails in its place (a couple of screwdriver shafts or something). You will then have something which can be gently tapped upwards with a rubber mallet to get it moving.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    Try loctite freeze spray

then heat with a hairdryer a few times.

The heat/cold should free it
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Follow link - https://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
    Then scroll down to entry "13" under the heading "Cure".
  • KevinA
    bbrap wrote:
    If it still wont budge try taking off the saddle and putting something with a similar diameter as the saddle rails in its place (a couple of screwdriver shafts or something). You will then have something which can be gently tapped upwards with a rubber mallet to get it moving.

Problem solved, thanks. Put my aerobat through the top of the post and with a mix of wd40 and hot water I managed to release it.

Relieved as the position was causing me pain and struggling to push power through the pedals.