Di2 adjustment help

the_urban_spaceman
the_urban_spaceman Posts: 59
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Hi there. I need to adjust my rear mec so it moves down the cassette towards the "hardest" gear.

Problem is it's run out of adjustment - i.e. it won't click down any further.

Am I missing a trick?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Have you adjusted the top and bottom limit screws?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Have you adjusted the top and bottom limit screws?

Just to clarify, my problem isn't getting it onto the smallest gear, rather when trying to adjust it midway up the cassette I have run out of downward adjustment.
  • meanredspider
    Have you adjusted the top and bottom limit screws?

Just to clarify, my problem isn't getting it onto the smallest gear, rather when trying to adjust it midway up the cassette I have run out of downward adjustment.

When did the problem start? Are you a whole gear step out? Have you bent the hanger? Are your derailleur wheels in good order? Have you missed off a spacer on the cassette? Etc
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Have you adjusted the top and bottom limit screws?

When did the problem start? Are you a whole gear step out? Have you bent the hanger? Are your derailleur wheels in good order? Have you missed off a spacer on the cassette? Etc

Problem has started with me putting a new wheel in (fine for other wheel). Not a whole gear step out, hanger straight (set up with tool recently), relatively new mech. I did wonder about the spacer, but I figure that another / wider spacer would worsen the issue as a spacer would move the cassette out and not in (if you get me).
  • meanredspider
    It sounds like you need to look at the alignment of the cassette on the wheel. Is it a 10sp or 11sp cassette and same for the wheel?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311

So you have reached the end of the micro adjust. It has 16 steps each way. Normally having to use the 16th step would be extreme. So why do you need to go further ?

I think you may be misunderstanding what the micro adjustment is used for, its for eliminating chatter/noise of the chain and cog when the chain is on the middle of the cassette. It's not meant to be used to fix bad shifting issues/or reaching a cog at the end of the cassette/or switching the wheel on the fly. Which by your description sound like what you are trying to achieve If im not mistaken. Please correct me if im wrong. :)

The new wheel wont have the exact same positioning of the hub/freehub/cassette as the old wheel, so the limits screws need to repositioned first. Before using the micro adjust.

So try -

Resetting the micro adjust to the centre. Then re-do the low limit screw, then high limit , then b-screw.

Then re-do the micro adjust while on the 5th cog to eliminate any noise IF needed.