Noobie here with a bent chainring.

DannyOnTheRock
DannyOnTheRock Posts: 24
edited April 2017 in MTB beginners
First of let me say hi from Fuerteventura. I'm 31, Male and I'm fairly newish to mountain biking. Used to ride one everywhere as a kid but only just started riding again after buying a Berg TrailRock 10 and finding a mate who likes MTBing. After chucking myself down a few rocky hills today I shifted onto the second ring at the front and the chain got caught on the ring.

After looking closer at it, the second ring is bent and I have absolutely no idea how. I believe it should take some considerable force to bend it but I never hit anything or came off it and don't understand how I could have bent the middle ring and not the larger, outer ring at all?

Anyway.... Do I try to bend it back or replace it and how do I do it.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this. I don't know my way around here yet. Please be gentle with me lol

Comments

• ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    Hi

Link to your bike would help as not sure what chainset you have, if is shimano most likely you will be able to remove middle chain ring if that's what you mean by "second ring" and replace it.
  • Yep they are Shimano :)

Here's the link you requested - https://www.bergcycles.com/product/moun ... ailrock-10

I'm thinking I want to convert the 3 rings at the front into just one. I'm gonna do some googling
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't see clearly, but that looks rivited, so can't change rings. You have the bike, if they are bolted on you can, rivited you can't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    And its definitely bent bent. Not part of the design ?
    Can you google a photo of your chainset to verify ?
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    Yep they are Shimano :)

Here's the link you requested - https://www.bergcycles.com/product/moun ... ailrock-10

I'm thinking I want to convert the 3 rings at the front into just one. I'm gonna do some googling

Looks like rivets so can't replace just the middle ring, need new crankset something cheap, you looking around £20-30 for new crankset with removable bolts then if you still want you can drop to 1x.
  • Wow thanks for all your replies.... I wasn't getting notifications so missed them all.

It is bolted on so I can remove them and have straightened the bent chainring with a hammer and thick Allen key. It was most certainly bent but isn't anymore.

Is removing the first and third chainring doable so I only have the second one there and set the derailleur to stay in position with the limit screws?
  • Wow thanks for all your replies.... I wasn't getting notifications so missed them all.

It is bolted on so I can remove them and have straightened the bent chainring with a hammer and thick Allen key. It was most certainly bent but isn't anymore.

Is removing the first and third chainring doable so I only have the second one there and set the derailleur to stay in position with the limit screws?
  • cooldad
    Yep it will work fine. But you will probably need shorter chainring bolts or spacers. Or try using the bolts from the granny ring, which will probably be shorter.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Or try using the bolts from the granny ring, which will probably be shorter.

Forgive my ignorance.... What's a granny ring?

EDIT: I googled it. Can I do this without removing the crank? The outer ring will come off but I can't see how to remove the granny ring without removing the crank. I don't have a crank extractor :(
  • cooldad
    Nope.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Nope.

Is there a way to remove the crank without an extractor?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Thermite ?
  • Fenix wrote:
    Thermite ?

Of course!!!! Why didn't I thing of that!! :lol::lol::lol:
  • cooldad
    £3.99.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-to ... -prod10181

Buy some other nice stuff and get free postage.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks for the link.

I've not done a good enough job of fixing the chainring so I've looked online and found a face race 104 32T chainring that will fit it, some 1 ring bolts and a crank remover for €40 with free delivery to canary islands. Should be here by next week. Thanks for the help guys.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    A mate of mine bent his middle ring on a new bike a few years back, it happens. There must have been a rock at just the right height and angle, he went over it and that was that, middle ring was ruined and the whole thing was riveted together so he had to buy a new crank set.

This was a triple ring set, so how he managed to ruin the middle ring alone must be pure chance, I didn't check the outer ring properly so it too may have been bent, but the middle ring was visually and obviously bent.