Canyon v Rose v Orbea

tasos_a
tasos_a Posts: 10
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I am about to buy a new road bike and I am between the below 3:

1) Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 (https://www.canyon.com/en-cy/road/ultim ... l-9-0.html)

2) Rose X-Lite CRS-3000 (https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-x-l ... aid:885730)

3) Orbea M20-PRO (https://www.orbea.com/cy-en/bicycles/orca-m20-pro)

For some reason which I don't know, I want the Canyon..

Has anyone tried any of these? What do you think?

My current road bike is an Orbea Avant H30, 10kg - 11kg so any of the above will be definitely an upgrade but I want to make the best possible choice.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I have the same Canyon (from a few years ago) and it's a great bike. But that frame is probably going to be replaced by the newer shape (as seen on the CF SLX and CF SL disc) next season, if that means anything to you.

I'd lean towards the Rose as i think it offers better value, it is the lightest, you can customise the build and they have greater reliability with meeting delivery estimates than Canyon.

That said Orbea bikes are starting to grow on me, especially as i don't see many of them about. I think you can also customise your bike frame colours with Orbea which is pretty cool.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I have seen a couple of the Canyon ultimate cf in the flesh, good value but are as dull as dish water to look at. I imagine after a year of owning it i would want to get rid for something nice to look at.

For me i would go for the Orbea because it looks the best.
  • tasos_a
    I have sent an email to canyon regarding the frame and the answer I received was if I want the new frame I have to go either with the SLX either with the DISC version. The thing is that I dont want the DISC version and also I dont want to pay EUR 1,200 more for the SLX...
    The new frame was introduced in late 2016, I am not sure they are planning to renew the SL version, maybe they are trying to "lead" customers buy the DISC version (?)
    Regarding the Orbea, it costs >3k, but there is a chance I can have a good discount... otherwise I don't want to spend that much..
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    dwanes wrote:
    I have seen a couple of the Canyon ultimate cf in the flesh, good value but are as dull as dish water to look at. I imagine after a year of owning it i would want to get rid for something nice to look at.

For me i would go for the Orbea because it looks the best.

I have an SL 9.0 (3 years old), great bike, personally I think it's a great looking bike.
  • tasos_a wrote:
    The thing is that I dont want the DISC version and also I dont want to pay EUR 1,200 more for the SLX...

Always good to make a list of things you don't want or don't want to pay extra for.

FWIW i would try and get the best frame I could afford, as you can always upgrade the wheels, groupset and finishing kit
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • tasos_a
    To be honest I like the new frame a lot.. but the old frame is not bad.

What I don't like about Rose, is the weird shape at the top (sorry but I am not english speaking and i dont know the right word)
  • tasos_a wrote:
    To be honest I like the new frame a lot.. but the old frame is not bad.

What I don't like about Rose, is the weird shape at the top (sorry but I am not english speaking and i dont know the right word)

So that rules out the Rose then. Should make your choice easier :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    I bought a Rose a couple of years back, using their 'build a bike' tool - £1800 with Di2 inc delivery. Took about 5 weeks to receive it.

Absolute bargain, couldn't recommend them enough.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Sanjay
    Sanjay Posts: 108
    I'd go with the Rose. Fully customisable, and decent delivery times. I just got a new bike off them, and waited 3 and a half weeks for it.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    You'll never get a Canyon or you could order it now and look forward to riding in in 2023.
  • tasos_a
    Is canyon really that bad in delivery times? I read that there were some issues 1-2 years ago but now they deliver in 5 weeks?
    I talked with a guy using the live chat today and he told me that they are going to introduce the new frame for cf sl in september 2017.. that makes me having second thoughts..
    from the other hand, i can spend an other one thousand and take the slx 8.0 with the better frame quality and better wheels..
    Within the week i am going to a local bike shop to check out the orbea too
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    Orbea are no better than Canyon. I ordered my M10 Team Disc beginning if Jan with an end of March delivery and now its looking mid May with the LBS work and delivery within the UK from them. I read a post on their FB page that someone ordered the Orca in Sept and still waiting into April!!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    tasos_a wrote:
    Is canyon really that bad in delivery times? I read that there were some issues 1-2 years ago but now they deliver in 5 weeks?
    I talked with a guy using the live chat today and he told me that they are going to introduce the new frame for cf sl in september 2017.. that makes me having second thoughts..
    from the other hand, i can spend an other one thousand and take the slx 8.0 with the better frame quality and better wheels..
    Within the week i am going to a local bike shop to check out the orbea too

Ordered a TT bike in Nov listed as Feb 2017...contacted them late Jan as I'd heard rumours of a delay, now said it will be June 2017...no contact telling me it was delayed by 4 months...cancelled my order. Even if they've sorted out the delivery times that customer service was a red flag.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Just for a bit of balance, and because positive stories hardly ever get shared, my Canyon Endurace disc arrived a week early, a couple of weeks ago. It's completely black and I love it.
    Had a bit of Disc Rub when put together, discussed with uk customer service on phone and email, suggested I rode it a few times and it's now fine. No issues with customer service.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • fuel2000
    fuel2000 Posts: 65
    I ordered a Canyon Ultimate slx frameset a few weeks ago. Ordered on the Wednesday arrived the following Monday. After a few weeks I decided that I wanted a shorter stem on the aero cockpit, and new one is currently on its way to me. Pretty good if you ask me.