Wheel upgrade for vanity/crit racing

2»

Comments

• Alex99 wrote:

There is a left turn on the Milton Keynes Bowl circuit (when they open the bottom loop) where I've seen several riders just slide off. They are sometimes riding like nutters, but grip is a factor.

I'm trying to think how additional grip translates in practice. I've read that confidence increases (and therefore cornering speed) up to the point of an insufficient friction induced crash, at which point confidence gets knocked down and the cycle starts again. I'm not sure this is correct for me. I don't seem to be on this cycle of repeatedly finding the limits of grip. Or, is there a more subtle signal that we pick up on, or some people pick up on? Can we actually tell when a tyre is 'nearly there'?

Not done Milton Keynes Bowl, but maybe it isn't technical enough to encourage you to pushing faster and faster?

Racing at Crystal Palace it takes time to build up confidence in your cornering speed, equipment certainly is key, I know that when I was cornering well, everything felt planted. I changed wheels and tyres last year and seemed to take a step backwards, there wasn't the same feedback.

There was one race where it started to rain and I could feel the rear tyre slip through the hairpin, but maybe in the dry that slip would have resulted in a crash due to increased speeds. There was another race where I picked up a rear puncture and again the tyre slipped through the hairpin. Any front wheel slip is 100% resulting in a crash once the bike is leaned over.

Next time you see someone slide off, find out what tyres they were using! If you can corner with the quickest guys then your tyres must be ok. If you're getting dropped, find out what the quicker guys are using and at least you'll be confident that you should be able to follow them if you're on the same tyre.
  • LWLondon
    LWLondon Posts: 55
    The trick with racing is dont crash. Done loads of crits now and so far I have managed to doge all the crashes I hope the luck hold this year. I dont bother with race insurance. also sprinters are the last tyres I would use for a crit race. They are decent but there are quicker tyres which means you can spend less on the wheel and still end up with the same overall gain.

A 30mm deep alloy clincher (tubeless) is all you need really. Carbon wheel can be excellent but you are doubling your spend. For a tight course grippy tyres that will allow you to get ahead out of a bend are a real advantage.

Any particular 30mm deep alloy clincher (tubeless) you would recommend CC? Or you could build...
  • LWLondon wrote:
    The trick with racing is dont crash. Done loads of crits now and so far I have managed to doge all the crashes I hope the luck hold this year. I dont bother with race insurance. also sprinters are the last tyres I would use for a crit race. They are decent but there are quicker tyres which means you can spend less on the wheel and still end up with the same overall gain.

A 30mm deep alloy clincher (tubeless) is all you need really. Carbon wheel can be excellent but you are doubling your spend. For a tight course grippy tyres that will allow you to get ahead out of a bend are a real advantage.

Any particular 30mm deep alloy clincher (tubeless) you would recommend CC? Or you could build...

Superstar are doing the ARC 31 for £140
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • LWLondon
    LWLondon wrote:

I see £199?
  • LWLondon wrote:
    LWLondon wrote:

I see £199?

PDPB30 for 30% off baskets over £75. :wink:

I take it that using a set of those bargain £140 ARC22s or ARC31s to replace the default Alex ALX270s on my Felt F5C is a bad idea, given 25c is its maximum tyre clearance?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    kingpinsam wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:

There is a left turn on the Milton Keynes Bowl circuit (when they open the bottom loop) where I've seen several riders just slide off. They are sometimes riding like nutters, but grip is a factor.

I'm trying to think how additional grip translates in practice. I've read that confidence increases (and therefore cornering speed) up to the point of an insufficient friction induced crash, at which point confidence gets knocked down and the cycle starts again. I'm not sure this is correct for me. I don't seem to be on this cycle of repeatedly finding the limits of grip. Or, is there a more subtle signal that we pick up on, or some people pick up on? Can we actually tell when a tyre is 'nearly there'?

Not done Milton Keynes Bowl, but maybe it isn't technical enough to encourage you to pushing faster and faster?

Racing at Crystal Palace it takes time to build up confidence in your cornering speed, equipment certainly is key, I know that when I was cornering well, everything felt planted. I changed wheels and tyres last year and seemed to take a step backwards, there wasn't the same feedback.

There was one race where it started to rain and I could feel the rear tyre slip through the hairpin, but maybe in the dry that slip would have resulted in a crash due to increased speeds. There was another race where I picked up a rear puncture and again the tyre slipped through the hairpin. Any front wheel slip is 100% resulting in a crash once the bike is leaned over.

Next time you see someone slide off, find out what tyres they were using! If you can corner with the quickest guys then your tyres must be ok. If you're getting dropped, find out what the quicker guys are using and at least you'll be confident that you should be able to follow them if you're on the same tyre.

Interesting isn't it. I'm not losing ground on the corners anyway. I'm either not getting close to the limit (because I'm not coming off) or I'm subconsciously picking up on some signals.
  • LWLondon
    LWLondon wrote:
    LWLondon wrote:

I see £199?

PDPB30 for 30% off baskets over £75. :wink:

I take it that using a set of those bargain £140 ARC22s or ARC31s to replace the default Alex ALX270s on my Felt F5C is a bad idea, given 25c is its maximum tyre clearance?

Many thanks, just ordered! Will likely put some 25 clinchers on for the minute, and think i'll go for Tubeless in due course! Seen a few reviews about having poor Rim tape on when you get the wheels initially so may bolster that, will see
  • LWLondon
    Help needed!!

The wheels turned up, looking gorgeous, but no rim tape. Now I have tried looking online for the width/type (plastic or material) but have had no joy. Any ideas anyone??

The rim description from the website is:
    "Arc31: Deeper 31mm profile and aero. 19mm internal ultrawide rim is what all the big brands are only just releasing as the latest must have product. 670g Front, 895g Rear, 1565g Pair (real world weights excluding rimstrips)"

Any idea? Never done this before (as is likely painfully obvious)
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    I bought a set of Superstar Component Icon ultra 30s this time last year. 1500g for the pair and £100 (because they were red and on sale), can't fault them really only issue is that the rear is slightly out of true but not enough to bother about. If you live local to them the free lifetime trueing is a bonus and they come with a 2 year warranty and crash replacement scheme (although i have no idea of the benefits should you choose to use it). Also they are well balanced.

Looking to buy wheel parts from them as i'm probably doing a wheel building course this year. Held off getting them in March despite the discount code.