Roubaix v Defy v Domane

n733lk
n733lk Posts: 44
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
So many choices! I'm looking for a comfortable road bike, 50-100 miles. Prepared to spend up to $2,500. The new Roubaix (Future Shock) is very appealing.
Suggestions?

Comments

• n733lk wrote:
    So many choices! I'm looking for a comfortable road bike, 50-100 miles. Prepared to spend up to $2,500. The new Roubaix (Future Shock) is very appealing.
    Suggestions?

Road bikes don't need shock absorbers, disk breaks or electronic shifting, but red bikes are the fastest.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • paul_smith_srcc
    paul_smith_srcc Posts: 247
    edited January 2021
    All three are in effect their versions of the models aimed at just that style of riding.

All bikes are the sum of their parts and bike fit is included in that equation. Compared to the faster set up models Endurance-Sportive bikes normally have a slightly shorter and higher reach to the bars; data that the listed geometry will illustrate with 'stack' and 'reach' as shown in the picture below.
    32901725493_90b0b4ceee_z.jpg

Using the 56cm from each the 'stack' and 'reach' for all three is similar, the largest difference being the the Defy is just over 1cm lower than the Roubaix. Personally I would not be to concerned about the greater drop as for many the Roubaix is higher than it needs to be.
    The Defy Stack 58.6 reach 38.1
    The Domane Stack 59.1 reach 37.7
    The Roubaix Stack 59.7 reach 38.5

Many stores offer 'bike fitting' and this may include a cheaper 'sizing fit', that will often be free if you then purchase the bike from the store. This less expensive fit is normally to work out what will be the most suitable size bike within a range, and in this case when three bikes are being considered if they use a fitting jig they will be able to dial in the differences of each model for you to compare; even subtle differences can influence your choice.
    gjsjxi29n37g.jpg
    In addition there is always value in trying before you buy as all will be quite close, but one will no doubt 'twinkle' at you bit more than the other two :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    You want to add the Synapse to your list
    left the forum March 2023
  • You want to add the Synapse to your list
    I concur, the Cannondale Synapse is a valid consideration in context with the other three
    33716895155_81c48e3663_h.jpg
  • I have just acquired a Domane SLR 6 disc although I think the SL rim brakes model should be within your budget. Choice for me over the roubaix was down to geometry.

The flex in the seat tube does smooth out some of the buzz although don't expect a miracle. Certainly more comfortable than my alloy Synapse.
  • n733lk
    The flex in the seat tube does smooth out some of the buzz although don't expect a miracle. Certainly more comfortable than my alloy Synapse.

Did you look at the 2017 Roubaix? It now offers a longer seat post with improved compliance, in addition to the new Furure Shock suspension system.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    All three are very similar but different enough for it to make a difference. After a bike fit last year I was told a endurance type geometry is the best kind of fit for me (short torso, long legs). I tried all 3 and then some more including the Scott Solace, Cannondale Synapse and the Bianchi Infinito. The saddle to bar drop on the Roubaix, Defy, Solace and Synapse was all to big even with the stem at the top of the stack and would have meant flipping the stem to make it comfortable and going up a size would have increased the reach too much. The Trek was better so I bought one for a winter bike and the Bianchi was perfect so I got one of those for a summer bike.

Get a bike fit (ideally from someone not associated with any of the brands you want to try) and then try each one.
  • n733lk wrote:

Did you look at the 2017 Roubaix? It now offers a longer seat post with improved compliance, in addition to the new Furure Shock suspension system.

I did yes. The geometry in the largest size was better for me on the Trek but I would say front end compliance on the Roubaix was better. That said, I didn't feel that the additional flex in the front end was that much of a game changer as ultimately I value arse comfort over arm comfort! Both excellent bikes and you would be overjoyed with either.
  • n733lk
    Barongreenback; Thank you.