recurring knee/hamstring problem - help!

jonnyv
jonnyv Posts: 85
I'd be really grateful for any input from someone who's experienced something similar.

In summer 2014 - i.e. getting on for 3 years ago - I started getting a pain at the back of my knee when riding. It took me a few weeks to work out that I'd put my saddle up too high (or at least I'm fairly certain that was the cause). I put the saddle down but by this time the damage was done, so even after a week off the bike the pain kept coming back. So to coincide with a hernia operation in November, I had 8 weeks off and then gently started riding again and it seemed ok. I was riding pain-free for a few months up to May 2015.

For other reasons I then stopped riding for about 18 months, i.e. until late last year. Once I started again (exactly the same saddle position as I'd used for the pain-free period of 2015) this back of knee pain inexplicably returned - not consistently (and it was consistent in 2014) but it comes back now and again, like this morning. The other annoying thing is that when I'm just standing or sitting sometimes I'm aware of a kind of ache in the same place - it's not painful but there's definitely something there, and that's new, I was never aware of this in the first phase.

I'm just really puzzled by this and wonder what's going on. Needless to say I've trawled the internet but haven't come across anything similar. I'm certainly prepared to get professional help but my experience of this has been variable and thought I'd see if anyone on here has any thoughts.

Thanks!

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    this covers various knee issues...

http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

one leg or both? just one might indicate a slight leg length difference, even a few mm can have an effect

seeing a physio with bike fit expertise might be a good investment
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny