Which entry level fork?

J0C30
J0C30 Posts: 6
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hello guys,

I am currently looking to purchase my first "real" MTB and wondering if you could point me out which fork would be better suited for my type of riding.

I am located in California and will mainly riding trails that are usually guttered/rocky or have sections of really loose gravel. I do enjoy riding downhill and would like a fork that could provide some good dampening while going down this type of terrain.

So far I am looking at the Vitus Nucleus bike and wondering if the Rockshox fork on the VRS model is worth the extra ~120.

RockShox 30 Silver TK Solo Air 27.5”, Solo Air Spring with Turn Key Damping Adjustment, Tapered Alloy Steerer, 120mm Travel, 9mm QR

vs

Suntour XCR LO-R 27.5", Air Spring with Pre-Load Adjustment, Hydraulic Speed Lock-Out with Rebound Damping Adjustment, 1.1/8" Steel Steerer, 120mm Travel, 9mm QR

Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Id take the XCR over the RS, the latest XCR is 32mm stanchion and basically a thrifted Raidon.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • J0C30
    The Rookie wrote:
    Id take the XCR over the RS, the latest XCR is 32mm stanchion and basically a thrifted Raidon.

Thanks for the response! That should help with the decision.

I was just aware with some of the bad rep that entry Suntour forks seem to get.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The XCT/M and older XCR didn't have the best seals in the world (but nor did the RS Darts) but other than that they are as good as their spec suggests.....you get what you pay for.

The latest XCR (and rebound adjustment I believe means it must be) are excellent value.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • J0C30
    The Rookie wrote:
    The XCT/M and older XCR didn't have the best seals in the world (but nor did the RS Darts) but other than that they are as good as their spec suggests.....you get what you pay for.

The latest XCR (and rebound adjustment I believe means it must be) are excellent value.

I appreciate the response and your insight. It seems the xcr should hold up fine for the type of riding I will be doing.