Touring tyre widths

alexfulton375
alexfulton375 Posts: 4
edited March 2017 in Tour & expedition
I am going on a touring holiday to France with my dad. We are going from Roscoff to Strasbourg and the two different parts of the Vosges as well. I would be taking about 7kg of kit on rear panniers. I weigh 64kg and my bike is about 9.5kg. My dad says that I need 32c tyres (or larger) such as a Vittoria Randonneur or Schwalbe Marathon. In my opinion I could do it with 28c tyres such as the Conti Gatorskins or GP 4 seasons. I think my dad is worried about punctures because of the added weight. I am perfectly comfortable on 25c tyres currently and 28c would be even better so what do you think I should get?

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Assuming you are largely on sealed roads;

you are light, you are packing light, 28mm will be fine.

I have toured on 28s extensively (usually GP 4 seasons). (58kg)
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    You and your luggage combined weigh less than me (80kg) and I routinely ride on 25c tubeless with 5-7kg of panniers. Just use enough pressure in the tyres and you'll be more than fine with 28s.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    ETA - I assume you're planning to ride on the road. If you're going to be riding elsewhere, apparently you'll need a "gravel bike" according to BikeRadar. I further assume that you have to ride with that bike strapped to your panniers until you get to the gravel road, then switch. Or perhaps have a car following you with spare bikes.

If you are going to be riding on unmade roads, I'd think about going up to a 32 for comfort and traction, although using a 28 won't kill you.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Is there any reason not to go for wider tyres if you can accommodate them?

How about 32mm Hyper Voyagers? Currently a good price at Planet X. If you're going for Randonneurs, get the Randonneur Pros.
  • MrB123 wrote:

How about 32mm Hyper Voyagers? Currently a good price at Planet X. If you're going for Randonneurs, get the Randonneur Pros.

I have a very limited budget as a 16yo and my 25mm road tyres are in need of replacement. I was going to go for 28mm anyway (when replacing 25mm) but if i can get a medium touring tyre that will also do for road riding |I can save upwards of £40 which will help in getting the other equipment I need for the holiday
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    MrB123 wrote:

I have a very limited budget as a 16yo and my 25mm road tyres are in need of replacement. I was going to go for 28mm anyway (when replacing 25mm) but if i can get a medium touring tyre that will also do for road riding |I can save upwards of £40 which will help in getting the other equipment I need for the holiday

I would advise tapping up your Dad to increase your budget :)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    MrB123 wrote:

The Hyper Voyagers are 20 quid currently at Planet X in 32mm. 15 quid in 35mm.
  • SheffSimon wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

I would advise tapping up your Dad to increase your budget :)

Hes a skint who wouldnt buy them. He is paying for the ferry cost and all food etc. anyway so it is only fair
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    I've currently got 32mm Gators on My Kinesis Ti for bikepacking, the comfort is unreal because I can run lower pressures and because of the wider platform I get better grip in the wetter conditions - 28mm would be a good choice too, but the grip will be average in the wet (my main concern when using Gators)