Paul Kimmage interview - Team Sky's charade has been exposed

Comments

• dish_dash wrote:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/nicolas-roche-like-froome-i-wouldnt-sign-statement-backing-brailsford-35514769.html
    Last night while I lay on the massage table in the team hotel, I read a good interview on cyclingtips.com with Paul Kimmage about the controversy in Team Sky. Towards the end of that interview Paul said that he'd like to open the Irish Independent this week and "read a big piece by Nicolas Roche about what he found there (at Sky), what he might have been asked to do, et cetera, et cetera".
    The truth is, in my two years at Team Sky I was never asked to do anything that broke or even bent the anti-doping laws, either legally or ethically.
    Maybe I don't have all the facts but something just doesn't add up.
    During the week, it was reported that Chris Froome was one of the riders who refused to sign a statement giving his support of beleaguered team boss Dave Brailsford and, in fairness, I probably would have done the same. If I've learned anything from the past it's that you can't put your hand in the fire for anyone.

Fair.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621
    dish_dash wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

Do you like Salman Rushdie and Will Self?

To my shame I've never read Rushdie, I somehow even managed to escape Midnight's Children which I'm sure was my school syllabus... and I prefer Self writing to Self speaking.

Just interested. They both score very highly on the "can write" scale, but also very highly on the verbosity-to-content scale. Personal preferences and all that, but sometimes I need to be awake when I get to the point. Marina Hyde seems to be aiming for that camp.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    TheBigBean wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

Do you like Salman Rushdie and Will Self?

To my shame I've never read Rushdie, I somehow even managed to escape Midnight's Children which I'm sure was my school syllabus... and I prefer Self writing to Self speaking.

Just interested. They both score very highly on the "can write" scale, but also very highly on the verbosity-to-content scale. Personal preferences and all that, but sometimes I need to be awake when I get to the point. Marina Hyde seems to be aiming for that camp.

LOL - I never got as far as the point. I assumed it was part of the Guardian style guide.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    dish_dash wrote:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/nicolas-roche-like-froome-i-wouldnt-sign-statement-backing-brailsford-35514769.html
    Last night while I lay on the massage table in the team hotel, I read a good interview on cyclingtips.com with Paul Kimmage about the controversy in Team Sky. Towards the end of that interview Paul said that he'd like to open the Irish Independent this week and "read a big piece by Nicolas Roche about what he found there (at Sky), what he might have been asked to do, et cetera, et cetera".
    The truth is, in my two years at Team Sky I was never asked to do anything that broke or even bent the anti-doping laws, either legally or ethically.
    Maybe I don't have all the facts but something just doesn't add up.
    During the week, it was reported that Chris Froome was one of the riders who refused to sign a statement giving his support of beleaguered team boss Dave Brailsford and, in fairness, I probably would have done the same. If I've learned anything from the past it's that you can't put your hand in the fire for anyone.

Fair.

Surprised Kimmage didn't also add 'and also can Nicolas tell us what his Dad got up to as well, thanks'.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    More headlines coming this evening. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    You know better than to say something like that and not spill the beans
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:

Presumably cos Geraint won, non?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Ah, right. I don't suppose the likes of Lawton and Roan ever actually watch cycling though
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    RichN95 wrote:

Presumably cos ********** won, non?

Yes, but spoiler peeps, spoiler. :wink:

Anyhow as it currently stands, it seems the rest of the world's cycling press find the Sky saga...........too complicated or not really a doping story to be arsed:-

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... now-318932
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,695
    No rozzers etc.

And, ya know, rest of Europe, Germany excused, isn't as sanctimonious as the UK is about doping.
  • RichN95.
    No rozzers etc.

And, ya know, rest of Europe, Germany excused, isn't as sanctimonious as the UK is about doping.
    And they have no desire to get a British person sacked. A lot of this is just a media bloodsport .
  • No rozzers etc.

Britain losing its virginity
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    RichN95 wrote:

Thanks for the spoiler

Some people here aren't real fans
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    No rozzers etc.

More like Britain is getting to feel up a girls tits for the first time at the youth club disco.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No rozzers etc.

More like Britain is getting to feel up a girls tits for the first time at the youth club disco.

Better
  • rick_chasey
    Right, he's crossed a line now.

DDMQNCGXUAAHjsX.jpg:large
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Isn't Hatch's job to commentate on the race rather than abuse the riders?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Is there a bike race about to start next weekend? Coincidence?
  • RonB wrote:
    Is there a bike race about to start next weekend? Coincidence?

Quite. Time for some dog-whistling
  • rick_chasey
    Take it from someone who can listen to cycling commentary in another language; UK cycling commentary, hatch aside, is an absolute shambles.

Trying to sink Rob into his quagmire of doping chat as a consequence of him trying to jerk off 800 words ahead of the Tour is pathetic, and in the context of the state of UK commentary, particularly irresponsible.
  • RichN95.
    Kimmage (and Tucker) are like people from the right and left fringes of politics who think the likes of the BBC are bias because they don't report their distorted world view. He says later in the article he learns nothing from the cycling media - another sign of an intransigent person.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    So Kimmage starts up again and within seconds there's spam on here offering Prozac with next-day delivery. Coincidence? I reckon Kimmage has shares, and won't stop believing it until he provides full proof that he doesn't...
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Newspqpers really should write 'Paul Kimmage, cheating bastard' when they print his work. Very irresponsible.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Yawn time, Rich is gearing up to launch credibility attacks on any one or anything that suggests doping, meanwhile some very ill asthmatics are preparing for a European jaunt.

Wiggins meanwhile is probably no longer a chronic asthmatic which is nice.

I on the other hand will suspend cynicsm again and quickly regret it. Like every time I put white bar tape on.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Hatch is one of the commentators more likely to dwell on the 'dark arts' but he doesn't have to do it every time a former doper appears on screen.
  • Hatch is one of the commentators more likely to dwell on the 'dark arts' but he doesn't have to do it every time a former doper appears on screen.

Well, more so than say Kirby...and CERTAINLY more so than any of the ex-pro commentators. But thats all a pretty low bar.

But then I'm not arsed about hearing a running commentary on every miscreant...that'd take up 75% of the airtime anyway :P
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

But then I'm not arsed about hearing a running commentary on every miscreant...that'd take up 75% of the airtime anyway :P

Well they will have a lot more time to fill on those boring sprint stages this year...
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Hatch is one of the commentators more likely to dwell on the 'dark arts' but he doesn't have to do it every time a former doper appears on screen.

Well, more so than say Kirby...and CERTAINLY more so than any of the ex-pro commentators. But thats all a pretty low bar.

Also there's a difference between mentioning that X has had a 2 year ban for Y and verbally abusing every convicted doper as they appear on screen, which is what Kimmage seems to be suggesting.

People would start to think he had Tourettes....
  • RichN95.
    Yawn time, Rich is gearing up to launch credibility attacks on any one or anything that suggests doping, meanwhile some very ill asthmatics are preparing for a European jaunt.
    Yawn time, Vino's Ghost goes straight for the personal attack on me for not sharing his intellectually vapid blanket cynicism
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,251

Wiggins meanwhile is probably no longer a chronic asthmatic which is nice.

I on the other hand will suspend cynicsm again and quickly regret it. Like every time I put white bar tape on.

How's that suspending cynicism working out for you?