London Orbital 2017 (updated)

Dmak
Dmak Posts: 445
LONDON ORBITAL 2017

Saturday 24th June

The London Orbital is a new annual fundraising event which will take place every year on the first Saturday of summer. The rules are simple; the route must orbit London and cover a minimum of 200 miles.

This years ride will start and finish in Windsor, circumnavigating London, outside the M25, anti-clockwise. The first half includes some of the best climbs the south has to offer, including Whitedown Lane, Box Hill and Toys Hill. The hills do ease off for the second half but there are a few minor climbs to test the legs late in the day.

route.png

This years route covers 208 miles and over 12,400 feet of climbing. This is fundraising event, an opportunity to complete a tough double century (with support!), promote a good cause and raise some much needed cash for it. This event is not tied to any particular charity and you are free to choose whichever cause is closest to your heart.

The ride will consist of 2 groups of up to 9 riders, each with a dedicated support vehicle to carry food, water and spares.

Minimal entry fee (TBC but will be approx £10), this is to cover the costs of fuel for the vehicles, supplementary food and drink. This is a non-profit event and any surplus will be donated to charity.

If you're up for the challenge and would like to join this year's ride, please send an email to london.orbital@outlook.com

I completed this route last September to raise money for Cancer Research UK, on my tod with a heavy backpack filled with pasta and water, it was a very tough day! Given the monumental nature of the route, I decided it would be good to make a thing of it, to help others to complete an epic challenge and promote fundraising for good causes at the same time.

Places for this years ride are very limited. If you're fairly comfortable completing a century and relish the challenge of a double, take a deep breath and send that email. It will be an adventure. Feedback welcome and any questions posted here will be answered.

Comments

• Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Alas, the ride goes on, whatever the weather, be it a hurricane, torrential rain, thunder and lightning...it'll just add to the theatre of it.