Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Carbon wheel tyre changing advice.

oxomanoxoman Posts: 7,315
edited February 2017 in Road general
Just got first full carbon bike with carbon wheels and looking for advice on what not to do and to do when changing tyres. The wheels are Giant SLR1,s and they have come set up as tubeless, I always carry a tube just in case but don't want to look a complete idiot if I do get a bad flat that won't seal and I can't get a tube in or replace the tyre. Also do I need to get tubeless ready tyres or will normal clinches be ok. Cheers.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• Normal clinchers + tubes will work with tubeless compatible wheels. That's what I run. You just need a little more pressure before they ping into place. You can also use tubes with tubeless compatible tyres. But not, obv., conventional clinchers without tubes, regardless of the rim.

Seems to me not to matter what your wheels are made of.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 7,315
    Cheers, managed to find some info off Giant website after some amount of digging. Just didn't want to wreck the wheels given what they cost to replace.
  • Snap.... almost!

I picked up the Defy Advanced Pro 1 this week and dying to get out on it. SLR1 tubless wheelset included.

Would be interested in the info you found on the website if possible?

My LBS put some of that sealing gunk inside. He advised to carry a tube and cartridge at all times as usual, and if the sealant doesn't work on a puncture, then you need to basically break the seal all the way round the wheel and replace with a tube as normal. He also said be careful with the valve because they are expensive to replace.

Are you looking to replace the tyres in general, or did you just mean when the worst happens?
    The info I found eventually was on the giant website, was not intending changing tyres anytime soon unless I get problems. As i do alot of solo riding I don't want to be left stranded because I can't repair a flat if I get one. Hope it helps.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/news/ ... yres/20956
  • oxoman wrote:
    I don't want to be left stranded because I can't repair a flat if I get one. Hope it helps.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/news/ ... yres/20956

Cant you ask the missus to follow behind you in a car with the spares needed?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
    I wish. She can't drive sadly she won't be able to due to eye problems.
  • mangliermanglier Posts: 632
    I'm with you on carrying a tube in case of emergency and, having had said emergency may I recommend the following:
    1. Practice removing and fitting your tyres without using levers so the rims don't get damaged.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkPbGfZoZCY
    2. Carry 4 or 5 sheets of kitchen roll in your tool kit to wipe off the sealant.
    3. Once you repair or replace the punctured tyre, if you inflate it with a carbon dioxide canister to get the beads to pop, remember to deflate before re-inflating with air. Carbon dioxide will react with the sealant and eat its way through the rubber.