Cyclists - how hated do you feel?

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I think there are more drivers around that simply dont know how to drive when confronted by cyclists than are eejits. The number of people who will pull out nice and wide when overtaking and into the path of an oncoming vehicle risking head on collision at speed but missing a cyclist. The other one that amuses me is those that close pass from behind but are pulling out and signalling after they have gone past. On the rare occasion i get shouted at, it is always the person in the passenger seat, i suspect for a larf (ha ha)
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I think there are more drivers around that simply dont know how to drive when confronted by cyclists than are eejits. The number of people who will pull out nice and wide when overtaking and into the path of an oncoming vehicle risking head on collision at speed but missing a cyclist. The other one that amuses me is those that close pass from behind but are pulling out and signalling after they have gone past. On the rare occasion i get shouted at, it is always the person in the passenger seat, i suspect for a larf (ha ha)

You are quite correct. Some are lazy too.

I noticed a classic example on Saturday morning. I was heading down a road that leads from the back of my local village to the main road. There is no pavement either side of this road for some reason.

There was a lady walking along the right hand side of the road (heading the same way as me) pushing a pram. As I neared her, I heard an engine appear quite quickly behind. Rather than slow down, let me clear the woman on the right and give the driver maximum overtaking space, the idiot behind the wheel overtook me as she was parallel to my side. He or she slammed the brakes on and squeezed between us with a wobble of the steering. I had to literally ride onto the verge to give them more room. Can't understand why they simply didn't wait for about 5 seconds. :roll:

I regularly see drivers overtaking me with something coming the other way, then giving me a squeeze as they run out of room. Thing is, a lot of these overtakes could be done a few seconds later with nothing coming the other way (rural Lincolnshire).

Even more bizarrely are drivers who squeeze past with nothing on the other side of the road at all. Why can't they give you a good gap? They still squeeze past even though they have the full right hand side lane to play with. Idiots.
  • Thanks for that link the comments section was hilarious!

I used to argue with that guy (you know the one I mean) but however reasoned my points were he would always respond with insults and abuse. I sometimes find that if I make a comment he posts an insulting reply in an attempt to goad me into a reply. At one point I was going to refer to him as Cambridge's answer to Donald Trump, but some of his recent posts lead me to believe he would consider that a compliment...
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    benws1 wrote:
    accusing them of blocking the roads and even going so far as saying they should be driven off the road.

This is another regular favourite in the Cambridge News comments sections - advocating using your car as a weapon against cyclists.

this?

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/ci ... s-12579495

Goldentench is evidently a nice chap. :roll:

The older I get, the better I was.

• Capt Slog wrote:
    benws1 wrote:
    accusing them of blocking the roads and even going so far as saying they should be driven off the road.

This is another regular favourite in the Cambridge News comments sections - advocating using your car as a weapon against cyclists.

this?

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/ci ... s-12579495

Goldentench is evidently a nice chap. :roll:

Yep, that's one recent example that comes to mind. There are others; while some are clearly just being provocative, there is real malice behind some of the comments.
  • Do you stay in Aberdeen as well?!? :D
    Garry H wrote:
    I also live in scotland and nobody ever shouts abuse at me. Some of them drive like c* ts though.

I never read the daily mail though, or any other newspaper that's read by twats.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325
    team47b wrote:
    Here, people shout words of encouragement to cyclists

Cyclists say hello to each other

Cyclists say hello to pedestrians

Funny old world :D

Interesting. Where are you? Holland?

T47 lives in a place adorned with analogous colouration where time is a concept and all his thoughts are predominantly abstract.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    Do you stay in Aberdeen as well?!? :D
    Garry H wrote:
    I also live in scotland and nobody ever shouts abuse at me. Some of them drive like c* ts though.

I never read the daily mail though, or any other newspaper that's read by twats.

Borders, but commute to edinburgh by bike. Bet you've got better roads than they have in the capital though.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I want that place...

Another one i get is people sitting behind because afraid to cross double whites when nothing in sight either way...
  • Pinno wrote:
    T47 lives in a place adorned with analogous colouration where time is a concept and all his thoughts are predominantly abstract.

I wish I understood what that means… on second thoughts, no, I don't.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Pinno wrote:
    team47b wrote:

In accordance with Heisenberg’s Indeterminancy Principle I have to disagree about the use of the word 'place' as it would imply a fixed point which is the fundamental property, the rest of what you said is me to a T :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:

I wish I understood what that means… on second thoughts, no, I don't.

It's better that way
  • pinno
    edited February 2017
    team47b wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    team47b wrote:

In accordance with Heisenberg’s Indeterminancy Principle I have to disagree about the use of the word 'place' as it would imply a fixed point which is the fundamental property, the rest of what you said is me to a T :D

I must protest sir. A 'place' could be imaginary. It is common in the vernacular to refer to a place as somewhere indeterminable such as 'he/she is in another place', which implies a highly creative mind or most probably, the subject is not in a stable mental state.
    Another example is the implication within the inquisition that the subject is in an indeterminable location:
    "Hello... hello, where are you today?". (Despite being within hearing distance of the subject and oft repeated on a daily basis by Mrs Pinno).
    Both are not irregular examples, are quite feasible and not improbable and not necessarily as a direct result of partaking, (by whatever preferred method), mind altering substances. So Heisenberg can get stuffed and I can do without principles determining the concept of place.
    I therefore adopt the Aristotelian position which is contrary to both Heisenberg and more historically, Theophrastus (commensurate with the point of the conception and in so avoiding any potentially problematic issues of relativism).

I'm peckish. Weetabix time me thinks.
  • team47b
    Ooo I remember Weetabix as a snack not as an abstract notion as they now are :D
  • Garry H
    all that bollox made me hungry too. Sharing cheese and biscuits with the cat.
  • team47b
    Garry H wrote:

Pics.

(Of the cat, I've seen cheese and biscuits before)
  • pinno
    I think the Weetabix is in the cupboard. One hopes that the cupboard and the fridge aren't imaginary or else I will be hungry with little recourse other than toast as long as the bread isn't imaginary or else I will be hungry with little recourse other than banana's as long as the banana's...
  • Garry H
    team47b wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Pics.

(Of the cat, I've seen cheese and biscuits before)

No, I can't trust what you'll get up to with a picture of a cat. Just imagine a tortoiseshell kitten eating cheese and biscuits. Actually, on second thoughts, don't do that either.
  • team47b
    How can I not imagine a tortoise shell cat eating cheese and biscuits now you have told me not to?
  • pinno
    Felinophilia? :shock:
  • Well, I'm still none the wiser. But it was a nice day for a ride today, so I don't really care.
  • Garry H
    team47b wrote:
    How can I not imagine a tortoise shell cat eating cheese and biscuits now you have told me not to?
    Gotcha! She's also wearing a little cat napkin around her neck and drinking port from a little glass.
  • Garry H
    Well, I'm still none the wiser. But it was a nice day for a ride today, so I don't really care.

Same over once it stopped raining.
  • pinno
    I suppose we could infuse T47's mind with images...

Lets see...

A hippy girl* with long blonde hair, Standing in a field of Barley wearing a paisley pattern loose dress, sunlight through her hair, smoking a particular herb from Morocco...

I'd had better stop else i'll give him palpitations.

*Ostensibly woman for the benefit of the PC and the mad world we live in.
  • Garry H
    Or a penguin eating a packet of chewits.
  • pinno
    Or an Emu reading the Financial Times on a park bench in a snowstorm. Paper in one hand, cucumber sandwich in the other.
  • Garry H
    Arrrghh stop. I'm doing it now.
  • pinno
    Or a monster truck made from an Isetta in pearlescent purple driving over the top of melting Rost Biffs lying on the beach moaning about how hot it is and doubling up their handkerchiefs for extra protection.
  • pinno
    Salvador Dali - eat yer heart out.