Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35

gregwari
gregwari Posts: 230
edited February 2017 in MTB buying advice
Just seen this on CRC... looking for a new rear tyre for spring onwards (mainly trail centre stuff). Anyone running the 2.35? Probably match to a new nobby nic 2.35 or hans dampf 2.35, be interested to hear any experiences (good and bad)

Ta

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Link?

There is more than one 'Ardent'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I haven't used the 'race' version but I've always found the normal Ardent a great tyre for year round riding.
  • Been running Ardent front, Ikon rear combo for a while now. It's a great XC set - works pretty much anywhere and lasts many miles (unlike Nobby Nic, which wouldn't last me a single month during summer). My only gripe about this combo is the rear - as great as the Ikon is, it's downsides bother me - mud sticks to it like glue and it doesn't have your back on some wet technical climbs .
    Thing is, I've been running the 2.2 Ikon and it's almost a different tire when compared to the 2.35 Ikon. 2.35 has larger, more aggressive tread.

So now I'm torn between the Ardent Race and Ikon 2.35, but I'm facing similar problem as you - there's actually not that many people that have run the Ardent Race for some reason. That said, people's experiences are generally positive. As I'm riding pretty much just illegal and wild trails, I think I'll stick with the Ikon. It is a tad bit faster and I know from experience that it really lasts a very long time.

If you're after this kind of a tire, you might want the check out the Forekaster as well - fairly new addition to the grand Maxxis linuep. There's already some debate about it around the interwebs.