Pads Need Replacing After One Ride...

curt_grev
curt_grev Posts: 20
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
So earlier on in the week I put in a new set of Superstar pads into my Hope Tech X2 (blue coloured ones), rode fine, good stopping power and so went on a quick ride round Sherwood Pines this morning.

I know it's really gritty and wet at the minute but after hosing the bike down I noticed that the rear pads had been completely destroyed.

Is there any reason for this?

I've not been keeping the rear brake on during descents so doubt it's that.

Only thing I can think of pointing the blame at is the grit wearing away at the pads when getting lodged inbetween pad and disc

Any got any thoughts before I buy more pads?

Thanks

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Did you Bed them in?
    They sound like organic pads which won't last long in Winter unless bedded in correctly.
    I've used Superstar Sintered in Winter for about a decade without issues but I trashed a set of Superstar Kevlar in 7 miles in the Peak District one wet horrible Winters day!
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    Did you Bed them in?
    They sound like organic pads which won't last long in Winter unless bedded in correctly.
    I've used Superstar Sintered in Winter for about a decade without issues but I trashed a set of Superstar Kevlar in 7 miles in the Peak District one wet horrible Winters day!

If I'm being honest, I didn't bed them in, no.
    I'm guessing it makes a big difference by doing that? I just assumed they would bed in themselves over the first ride.

I will probably look at getting some Sintered for the rest of the bad weather and see if that make much difference.

Thanks for the help (y)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    If the ride is dry then you might get away with it but it's always best to bed them in before your first ride on new pads.
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    If the ride is dry then you might get away with it but it's always best to bed them in before your first ride on new pads.

Thanks for that, I'll make sure I bed the next set in.
    Appreciated the help :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Bedding them in makes bugger all difference to pad life.
    If they're organic pads then that's you're problem. They last no time in dusty or wet/gritty conditions. I've worn a set down to the metal in a couple hours in the alps.
    Get some sintered pads.
  • Bedding them in makes bugger all difference to pad life.
    If they're organic pads then that's you're problem. They last no time in dusty or wet/gritty conditions. I've worn a set down to the metal in a couple hours in the alps.
    Get some sintered pads.
    Depends on the pads I guess. Mine survived the entirety of autumn. Did only about 500km but ruined both chain and the cassette.
    Changed the pads just now and only simply because it's a new season.

Sintered pads aren't for everyone. Some rotors aren't meant to be used with sintered and sintered pads transfer heat into the calipers instead of the rotors.
  • Bedding them in makes bugger all difference to pad life.
    Get some sintered pads.

I've ordered myself some sintered pads...

Realised the ones I stripped were organic after taking a look at a spare set I had, which never crossed my mind before I took them out in the mid and grit haha

Thanks for help :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Use less brakes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Use less brakes.
    That's one way to solve it, I guess haha
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Sintered pads aren't for everyone. Some rotors aren't meant to be used with sintered and sintered pads transfer heat into the calipers instead of the rotors.
    Anyone experience any issues with this? I ask as my Shimano calipers (altus or acera level) have this restriction, but would like to have some longer lasting pads in place. I can see the logic of overheating pads causing issues in the caliper if heat dissipation isn't working properly, but is this just a theoretical problem or a genuine one? Obviously solution is to buy better brakes, but in the meanwhile....
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim wrote:
    Anyone experience any issues with this? I ask as my Shimano calipers (altus or acera level) have this restriction, but would like to have some longer lasting pads in place. I can see the logic of overheating pads causing issues in the caliper if heat dissipation isn't working properly, but is this just a theoretical problem or a genuine one? Obviously solution is to buy better brakes, but in the meanwhile....

I'm not sure if they are any good, and sure someone will be able to say, but what about trying the finned pads?
    I believe that they are reusable on new pads after initial purchase.

I think Superstar and Uberbike both sell them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Totally pointless unless you are overheating doing massive Alpine type DH.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Don't even think finned pads will fit the calipers anyway as there is insufficient space to clear them out at the top.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Probably no interest in this but this is the result of a 60 minute ride, on a brand new set of Superstar Organic in the rain/snow last Sunday...

16788755_1608858059140764_5892423597984579584_n.jpg