Front mech problem Campy Road Bike.

gedadz61
gedadz61 Posts: 30
edited February 2017 in Workshop
I am struggling to find a triple front mech of any persuasion in the campagnolo family. Just a thought , has anyone tried to fit a Shimano front Mech to an all campy drivetrain and made it work. Downtube is 35 mm, shifters are 10spd triple record, rear mech the same.

Any thoughts / advice please, Thanks.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    gedadz61 wrote:
    I am struggling to find a triple front mech of any persuasion in the campagnolo family. Just a thought , has anyone tried to fit a Shimano front Mech to an all campy drivetrain and made it work. Downtube is 35 mm, shifters are 10spd triple record, rear mech the same.

Any thoughts / advice please, Thanks.

How so? Google search shows up a few options in Mirage, Veloce, Centaur, Athena and Record spec of various ages - what's wrong with those? GB Cycles seem a good place to start. Plenty seem to be braze on so you can get a 35mm clamp mount to match if none of the clamp on versions turn out to be of the correct diameter.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Just about any triple front mech will work with Campagnolo Ergopower.
    It only need to be operated with a cable....
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have used a Shimano triple front mech with Centaur shifters .They worked without a problem. Campag triple front mechs are too expensive.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I tried a Shimano 105 triple front mech with my Campag Ergo shifters some years ago. It worked but not very well. The cable pull was different. These were old Veloce nine speed shifters from around 2001. I needed a couple of swings of the left shifter to get enough movement for a clean shift from (if I remember rightly) little to middle ring.

As Rolf says, GB Cycles is a good source. I see they've got both Veloce and Centaur triple front mechs in braze on. Then you will just need the clamp adaptor.
  • Hi all, and many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, my original comment with regard to Campy front mechs still stands. GB cycles and many other sites are advertising suitable mechs for sale but when you go to buy, guess what, out of stock and nobody will say when or if they will be back in stock. eg. CRC are showing Veloce triple for sale, it has been out of stock for at least 6 months!

Anyway all useful comments taken on board, I also have a 105 triple which I am going to try, hope I have more luck than Mercia Man, lesfirth and Keezx make me feel a little more optimistic. I will post how I get on because I feel this will be a recurring problem given the slow demise of the 10spd triple.

Thanks again to all.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    It may be my 105 front mech didn't work well because the different cable pull couldn't cope with the wider spaced rings of my old Victory triple chainset. The mech didn't move as far as my Campag mech for the same lever throw. I might try it again with my narrower spaced Veloce triple which I am now using. If it works I will at least have a spare as Campag triple stuff is so hard to find nowadays. I am currently using a 10-speed Centaur triple front mech on my nine-speed set-up with 46/39/24 rings and a Champ long cage rear mech.

Just had a search and see Ribble are offering Athena Triple 11-speed front mech in sale. And it seems to be in stock. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/campagnol ... /#pid=7663
  • rolf_f
    gedadz61 wrote:
    Hi all, and many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, my original comment with regard to Campy front mechs still stands. GB cycles and many other sites are advertising suitable mechs for sale but when you go to buy, guess what, out of stock and nobody will say when or if they will be back in stock. eg. CRC are showing Veloce triple for sale, it has been out of stock for at least 6 months!

The stinking gits! Have you tried the European sites - they are quite good and may have different availability.
  • How do you gain access to these euro sites
  • Cheers Keezx, but I think I will give the euro sites a miss, my Dutch is not so strong, could end up buying a bag of spanners quite easily. Anyway I voted out! Cheers.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Take an account for Marktplaats , write the guy in English and the thing is yours.....pretty sure.
    I'm Dutch , Marktplaats is THE main national platform voor used stuff.
  • rolf_f
    Euro sites tend to turn up in Google searches if you scroll down a bit or put eg a .de suffix on your search. Generally, they have English versions which often default on a Google uk search. I've used Bike24 and found no problems with it - including returns procedure but it is worth checking how that works particularly with large items. Also double check postage but that's usually cheap to UK. I prefer to stick with the UK sites but find the price difference for some of the touring stuff to be pretty enormous between UK and German sites.
  • Hi all, the urgency for the front mech has passed but will check the euro sites later.

Have fitted the Shimano 105 triple front mech and it is working well, nice shifting, so a happy chappie.
    Cheers everyone.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    or call a proper shop. opening one catalogue reveals a 2009 champ front riple mech braze on and clip on and braze on Zenon front triple mechs. That was a quick scan. not everything is on the web.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    gedadz61 wrote:
    Cheers Keezx, but I think I will give the euro sites a miss, my Dutch is not so strong, could end up buying a bag of spanners quite easily. Anyway I voted out! Cheers.

Best stop using Campag then, is there still a British made groupset available?