Fork upgrade

Wizzer59
Wizzer59 Posts: 6
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys
Thanks for having me :) I have been out of the MTB scene for quite a few years, in fact my last bike (which I still have) was a mk1 Marin Mount Vision :D.
Anyhow I have recently bought a hardly used 2013 Trek Fuel EX 5, it is in excellent condition and the only thing I can find wrong is the front forks (120mm Rockshox Recon's) the stanchions are quite badly pitted, so the forks will be my first upgrade.
There are a couple of things I need to know before I can spend my hard earned though, first is; Trek have what they call a E2 tapered head tube, does this mean I need a tapered steer tube? And if so what size?
And lastly any recommendations on a fork?? I don't have a great budget about £250 but happy to buy second hand to get better :wink:

Ps. 26in wheel btw.

Comments

• cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    You will need a 1.5 - 1 1/8" tapered fork.

I'd be looking out for something like a Fox 34 or Rockshox Revelation at that travel.

Shouldn't be hard to pick up a very good set used.
  • Thanks buddy, if I was to find one at 130mm would that upset the handling?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nope, 130mm would be fine and you could probably get away with a 140.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Nope, 130mm would be fine and you could probably get away with a 140.

Thanks bud, do Marzocchie or Manitou have anything decent?? Just trying to get as much feedback as poss. The other thing is what about axles?? At the moment I have normal skinny lil quick release, I see a lot of forks have big ol axles now, does this mean I have to upgrade wheels as well :shock:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you use a fork with an axle (15 or 20mm) yes you will need a new front wheel, at 120+mm it's worth considering for improved fork stiffness.

Marzocchi and Manitou both produce decent forks, I'm not great on all the options for both, but a 120mm RS Revelation with a through axle would be a good option.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd stick with RS or Fox for parts and support.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Are these RS's any good on Fleabay??

Item no 182427495347
  • Thanks for the advice btw guys :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's not a bad fork - when working. The dual position air mechanism can be problematic, and it looks like you use a qr axle rather than 15mm (according to the spec for your bike)