Talk to me about Speedplay's

2»

Comments

• hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    JesseD wrote:
    Good news is a guy who works for me has a pair on his TT bike that he's not using at the moment as well as a pair of spare cleats, am going to try them for a couple of weeks and see if I get on with them before I fork out £100+ for a pair.

I have 3 Sets! :)
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I was going to point out that Evans had one pair of Pave at less than half-price in their ex-display clearance...

Then I thought better of it and bought them myself.

Will report back when I get them.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    I really want a pair of the Pave. The only weakness of the regular pedals is that the plastic wears down over time.

Need to convince myself that I'd be making a long term saving.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    I like mine and the plus points have all been covered by other posters. I use cromo zeros with the rear extender plates. I like the fact with this set up you get a lower sense of gravity feeling and can run your sAddle lower. I do get a bit of toe overlap though. I read somwhere the shoe goo tip for coating the walk contact points of the cleats with the shoe goo. Works well, i do this all the time now as I always found the cleat covers were tedious. Also I use a small medical syringe for the bearing regreasing rather than a specific mini grease gun. Great pedals.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Worth also noting they do a "track", version with a supposedly stronger clip mechanism, but I really can't tell the difference between my two other normal stainless Zeros.

I've also found that by limiting the float down to minimal- or zero float levels, they are very easy to accidentally disengage when out of the saddle....but as stated, why would you buy these pedals if you wanted minimal float?

Despite having three sets on three bikes, im not sure about them! I went with SP coz I have a leg length discrepancy, and they're easier to shim than say....look. The float also allows my legs a bit more lateral movement as the length discrepancy is kind of sorted out thru rotation of my pelvis. I often wonder though how much power I'm losing thru those small, but constant "skating", about on the pedals movements.

Also worth noting on a fine tuning side of things that apparently the titanium versions have slightly shorter axles then the s/s or chromoly versions.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Yes OEM ti axles are 76.2mm and stainless / cro-mo are 79mm.

They are easily changed though and you can weight weenie stainless / cro-mo ones easily with ti axle and bow tie kits if that's your thing, one source http://www.dulight.fr/fr/180-pieces-titane
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I do like my speedplays. I was on Looks since they came out in the 80s and i prefer speedplay.

I've got the walkable cleat surround too. Its very important to me that I dont fall over at the cake stop.
  • I've just ordered a pair of cro-mo speedplays from cycle surgery for £82 - sale price plus an extra 10% with the code on their website. I've been using time pedals for years but I'm having a bike-fit in a couple of weeks and the fitter recommends speedplay (I've got long standing knee issues)