Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Tuesday's another butt freezer

oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,850
edited February 2017 in The bottom bracket
Kids at school and college, wife at work me on last day of break. Out on bike later if fog holds off.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
«1

Posts

  • LukeTCLukeTC Posts: 211
    Jobs are pouring in at an incredible rate this week, now fully booked out until the end of March, pretty much unheard of for us this time of year anyway. So lots of ordering to be done, nice to be contacting people about jobs in 3 weeks instead of 3 days. Also in for some bonus at the end of the week for hitting my savings targets, some decent cycling gear perhaps? Gf has tried to convince me to hold it back for our trip away in March but I'm in 2 minds (mainly because I'm assuming she wants it spent on her and I really want to get some nice bib shorts for when I can start doing my longer rides again :lol: )

    Hoping to get out on the bike later on today providing this frost clears up, chilly -4 when I deiced the car this morning, brrr.
  • fat daddyfat daddy Posts: 2,605
    sure was cold this morning ... 1st time on the commute I actually had cold fingers and tried blowing through my gloves to warm them up

    loved it though, the descent through the playing field was epic, muchos sliding about as the little racing ralphs stuggled to grip the carpet of white ... did a stirling job on the tarmac though, I guess one of the joys of single speed is you cant generate enough power to spin up the back half the time .... well you cant with my legs
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,903
    Morning, office day today, feel like censored .
    LukeTC wrote:
    Also in for some bonus at the end of the week for hitting my savings targets, some decent cycling gear perhaps? Gf has tried to convince me to hold it back for our trip away in March but I'm in 2 minds (mainly because I'm assuming she wants it spent on her and I really want to get some nice bib shorts for when I can start doing my longer rides again :lol: )

    Do it. My GF is hinting at me to buy her a car, at least in part. It's completely unreasonable. Her car has only been in the garage for two weeks and is about to be written off, all I want is another new bike... :wink:
  • LukeTCLukeTC Posts: 211
    haydenm wrote:
    Do it. My GF is hinting at me to buy her a car, at least in part. It's completely unreasonable. Her car has only been in the garage for two weeks and is about to be written off, all I want is another new bike... :wink:
    And here I was making a big deal out of mine potentially wanting a bit of my bonus to go down Primark :lol:
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,903
    LukeTC wrote:
    haydenm wrote:
    Do it. My GF is hinting at me to buy her a car, at least in part. It's completely unreasonable. Her car has only been in the garage for two weeks and is about to be written off, all I want is another new bike... :wink:
    And here I was making a big deal out of mine potentially wanting a bit of my bonus to go down Primark :lol:

    Might I add that the GF is significantly over estimating the amount of money I have so I am playing along by pretending to be looking at new bikes in front of her. Why she thinks I am stupid enough to spend thousands on a bike a week before we have to pay a house deposit is beyond me*. Either way, it's a dangerous precedent that I don't want to set in our relationship



    *read 'quite understandable'
  • term1teterm1te Posts: 1,462
    Hasn't been above freezing here for two weeks, and the forecast is the same for the coming week. -9C cycling home last night, my hands were so cold I couldn't hold the key to open the door, and that was with skiing gloves. I washed the bike to get the salt off on Sunday and some water froze in the rear mech, so I couldn't change gear Monday morning, good job it is mostly flat on the way to the station.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,208
    haydenm wrote:
    Morning, office day today, feel like censored .
    LukeTC wrote:
    Also...again :lol: )

    Do it. My GF is hinting at me to buy her a car, at least in part. It's completely unreasonable. Her car has only been in the garage for two weeks and is about to be written off, all I want is another new bike... :wink:

    Save money and buy her a bike instead :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Garry HGarry H Posts: 6,639
    9 degrees over here. I blame brexit
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,208
    Garry H wrote:
    9 degrees over here. I blame brexit

    It's freezing cold in the home counties - god is punishing the Farage supporters.
    It's mild here too. Is this you back from another shift at the nuthouse?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Garry HGarry H Posts: 6,639
    pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    9 degrees over here. I blame brexit

    It's freezing cold in the home counties - god is punishing the Farage supporters.
    It's mild here too. Is this you back from another shift at the nuthouse?

    Sure is. Sweating buckets on the ride home. Wish god had told me what to wear this morning.
    Another similar day tomorrow I think.

    How's the bus thing coming on?
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 44,009
    pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    9 degrees over here. I blame brexit

    It's freezing cold in the home counties - god is punishing the Farage supporters.
    It's mild here too. Is this you back from another shift at the nuthouse?
    The temperature difference is the other way round for most of the year. God must hate you lot.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,208
    Garry H wrote:
    pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    9 degrees over here. I blame brexit

    It's freezing cold in the home counties - god is punishing the Farage supporters.
    It's mild here too. Is this you back from another shift at the nuthouse?

    Sure is. Sweating buckets on the ride home. Wish god had told me what to wear this morning.
    Another similar day tomorrow I think.

    How's the bus thing coming on?

    (Just ignore him, he'll go away)

    The bus thing. Grrrr. It will put me in good standing seen as these are the guys that have sorted my van and car many times but it's a headache of a job and I would rather be working on PPP. I will take some pics soon. They want bog standard but my pride couldn't contend with someone looking at it and saying "Who the farq did that?!" I also think that a more plush fit and a better job would make for a more versatile wagon.
    Tomorrow will be pedalling - god willing.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Garry HGarry H Posts: 6,639
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    9 degrees over here. I blame brexit

    It's freezing cold in the home counties - god is punishing the Farage supporters.
    It's mild here too. Is this you back from another shift at the nuthouse?
    The temperature difference is the other way round for most of the year. God must hate you lot.
    You're right Stevo, I used to love catching the tube to work when the mercury was nudging thirty in the city. I miss it so much :mrgreen:
  • Garry HGarry H Posts: 6,639
    pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    9 degrees over here. I blame brexit

    It's freezing cold in the home counties - god is punishing the Farage supporters.
    It's mild here too. Is this you back from another shift at the nuthouse?

    Sure is. Sweating buckets on the ride home. Wish god had told me what to wear this morning.
    Another similar day tomorrow I think.

    How's the bus thing coming on?

    (Just ignore him, he'll go away)

    The bus thing. Grrrr. It will put me in good standing seen as these are the guys that have sorted my van and car many times but it's a headache of a job and I would rather be working on PPP. I will take some pics soon. They want bog standard but my pride couldn't contend with someone looking at it and saying "Who the farq did that?!" I also think that a more plush fit and a better job would make for a more versatile wagon.
    Tomorrow will be pedalling - god willing.

    Is there nothing you can't turn your hand to? I put up a shed once and thought I was farkin noah building his boat!
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 44,009
    Garry H wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    9 degrees over here. I blame brexit

    It's freezing cold in the home counties - god is punishing the Farage supporters.
    It's mild here too. Is this you back from another shift at the nuthouse?
    The temperature difference is the other way round for most of the year. God must hate you lot.
    You're right Stevo, I used to love catching the tube to work when the mercury was nudging thirty in the city. I miss it so much :mrgreen:
    Should have biked it to work like I do, burn off a bit of last nights Buckie :wink:

    Pinno, stop being a ciserable munt...
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Garry HGarry H Posts: 6,639
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    9 degrees over here. I blame brexit

    It's freezing cold in the home counties - god is punishing the Farage supporters.
    It's mild here too. Is this you back from another shift at the nuthouse?
    The temperature difference is the other way round for most of the year. God must hate you lot.
    You're right Stevo, I used to love catching the tube to work when the mercury was nudging thirty in the city. I miss it so much :mrgreen:
    Should have biked it to work like I do, burn off a bit of last nights Buckie :wink:

    Pinno, stop being a ciserable munt...
    Hey, buckie's practically an energy drink, it's got caffeine in it! I drink it whilst I cycle.

    I've just had an idea, buckie design cycling bottles. Think the monks will go for it?
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 44,009
    Bound to be a big hit North of the border.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,208
    Garry H wrote:
    pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    9 degrees over here. I blame brexit

    It's freezing cold in the home counties - god is punishing the Farage supporters.
    It's mild here too. Is this you back from another shift at the nuthouse?

    Sure is. Sweating buckets on the ride home. Wish god had told me what to wear this morning.
    Another similar day tomorrow I think.

    How's the bus thing coming on?

    (Just ignore him, he'll go away)

    The...willing.

    Is there nothing you can't turn your hand to?

    No. My step Dad had a stroke when I was 15. (He was very very handy, there was nothing he couldn't do and i'll never be him.) Suddenly, I had to fix the mower and paint the house and fix things - with a bit of advice.

    (Stevo - I can be as miserable as I like.)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Number 2 son was trying to fix something in his room today and im pleased to see that he has inherited his diy skills from his dad ie

    1 dont read the flippin manual, just plough on regardless
    2 dont do anything the easy way when with more effort you can do it cack handed
    3 dont bother to use the proper tool for the job
    4 do shout in frustration when its going wrong
    5 half finish the job and leave it for eternity

    Yup, thats mah boy...
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,208
    5 half finish the job and leave it for Daddy to do?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,208
    Just for you Garry, here's a mower I restored:

    4cbb0d81ffb8d601c1f2af7114032e62.jpg

    375d10090e694bef794941445f0b7d8b.jpg

    b59b4d6bd868eb1287d8c03b3ed4e498.jpg

    5 months later...

    75a787950168880406aad14eb5e036e1.jpg

    a48c99a207535ae9943d8bca0b8cf030.jpg
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    Nice attention to detail, particularly aligning the valves for the final photo :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,208
    team47b wrote:
    Nice attention to detail, particularly aligning the valves for the final photo :D

    Well that was lucky - I never noticed that. Do you think the saddle angle is okay? Should I have gone for a professional mower fit? A new thread - Obsessive Compulsive Trattor Mower?

    Anyway, how the hell are you T47 and do I presume the bubble has reached spinach level polished perfection and there's nowt left to do?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    edited January 2017
    Oops :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    What crank length?

    I'm a bit busy on a rival PPP project at the moment, it will never be up to your standard or complexity but will be just as mad 8)
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,208
    You can delete posts you know :wink:

    [About 32mm's.] It's not over square. Briggs and Bleeding Stratton. :roll:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconnseanoconn Posts: 6,743
    pinno wrote:
    Just for you Garry, here's a mower I restored:

    4cbb0d81ffb8d601c1f2af7114032e62.jpg

    375d10090e694bef794941445f0b7d8b.jpg

    b59b4d6bd868eb1287d8c03b3ed4e498.jpg

    5 months later...

    75a787950168880406aad14eb5e036e1.jpg

    a48c99a207535ae9943d8bca0b8cf030.jpg
    I would like to cast an expect critical eye on your masterpiece but can't view your photos. Please rectify ASAP.

    Edit.

    Forget that, it's working now. And I have seen it before, many times. :roll: I have a Toro which is quite fun but can't cut for toffee, chews like a cow. If you have a cylinder mower I'd like a look.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Garry HGarry H Posts: 6,639
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Number 2 son was trying to fix something in his room today and im pleased to see that he has inherited his diy skills from his dad ie

    1 dont read the flippin manual, just plough on regardless
    2 dont do anything the easy way when with more effort you can do it cack handed
    3 dont bother to use the proper tool for the job
    4 do shout in frustration when its going wrong
    5 half finish the job and leave it for eternity

    Yup, thats mah boy...

    I only have two things in my tool box; a hammer and duck tape (or is that duct??). If it's meant to move but it doesn't; use the hammer, if it moves and it's not supposed to; use duck tape.
  • Garry HGarry H Posts: 6,639
    pinno wrote:
    Just for you Garry, here's a mower I restored:

    4cbb0d81ffb8d601c1f2af7114032e62.jpg

    375d10090e694bef794941445f0b7d8b.jpg

    b59b4d6bd868eb1287d8c03b3ed4e498.jpg

    5 months later...

    75a787950168880406aad14eb5e036e1.jpg

    a48c99a207535ae9943d8bca0b8cf030.jpg

    Will check them out when I get home tonight.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,208
    seanoconn wrote:
    I have a Toro...

    Model?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
Sign In or Register to comment.