Wear helmet on the turbo trainer?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,783
    hsiaolc wrote:
    They always say no question is stupid and all is good but I have to doubt this one. Really? I can't believe it. Must be one of those pulling your leg kinda post.
    Well, I know 2 people who admitted this week to falling off their turbos in the past.
    Apparently, ensuring that the rear quick release skewer is properly tightened is a good idea.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If you ride with a fan on in your face, wearing an aero helmet will help you cut through the air and go faster
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just seen this post ...

Is this a joke ??????
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I think it falls into the category of entertainment.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Of course you wear a helmet on the turbo trainer, it's only when you are warming up on the road outside that you don't wear it :lol:

Seriously, OP you will be sweating like f*** anyway, you definitely do not need a helmet on your head to increase your temperature further.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Block all the vents with Blue Tak and at least you can then use the hat to catch the vomit after a particularly hard session.
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    Don't forget to fit lights as well if you use the turbo trainer at night. Can't be too careful.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Even better why not pad your floor with foam with memory foam and make sure nothing is around your bike so if you fall you won't hit anything.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Even better why not pad your floor with foam with memory foam and make sure nothing is around your bike so if you fall you won't hit anything.

I would say get a bungee cord and tie yourself via it to the ceiling. Therefore if you do fall you will spring back up and can continue riding.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Even better why not pad your floor with foam with memory foam

I think memory foam is overkill .... generally speaking when falling off the turbo you don't lay for long enough to get the benefit of memory foam moulding your crumpled shape .... it would be a lot cheaper and just as effective to use regular foam ... although I would cover it in something to keep the sweat out
  • On the subject I pulled an old foam camping mat out of the loft to use under the turbo, MrsHD complained that there was oil all over the conservatory floor.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Fenix wrote:
    I have seen plenty of people wearing cycling tops for spin classes. Never sure why that was. We don't need the pockets, or to be aero.

But you need to practice spinning in your posture you will use on the real road. If you ever want to spend a good amount in the drops then you have to train that way. You increase your flexibility and form in that posture. If you're doing that, and wearing a normal workout shirt, your backside will be exposed as you lean over.

If you do spin class all winter in an upright manner you won't do yourself any favors when it's time to grind out in the flats for an hour where you should be hunkered down in the drops.

Otherwise, unless you're a clutz, you wouldn't wear a helmet on a trainer.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    hsiaolc wrote:
    No what you need is a bouldering or climbing crash pad, these are designed specifically for falling on to. The more daring amongst us could ride the turbo on top of the wardrobe with one of these. It would be good training for descending Alpine passes.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Fenix wrote:
    I have seen plenty of people wearing cycling tops for spin classes. Never sure why that was. We don't need the pockets, or to be aero.

But you need to practice spinning in your posture you will use on the real road. If you ever want to spend a good amount in the drops then you have to train that way. You increase your flexibility and form in that posture. If you're doing that, and wearing a normal workout shirt, your backside will be exposed as you lean over.

If you do spin class all winter in an upright manner you won't do yourself any favors when it's time to grind out in the flats for an hour where you should be hunkered down in the drops.

Okay - but I can be in a road like posture in a teeshirt ? I dont do turbo work in a bike jersey - too hot.
  • My trainer is a Cyclops pro bike with power meter in our gym at work. I can't show off my back side at work like I would at home so I wear the jersey. But their setup is nice since they have some fans you can turn on in front of you like you are going down the road to cool you off.

Our company is Danish based so the cycling culture is strong even in the US office and the bike setup in the gym shows this.
  • My trainer is a Cyclops pro bike with power meter in our gym at work. I can't show off my back side at work like I would at home so I wear the jersey.

A pair of shorts would work better.
  • webboo
    He does work for a Scandinavian company. :wink:
  • You have all misunderstood the op he's not asking about a crash helmet.

OP there are no rules as some of us dont experience wear down there but the answer is to get a saddle with a cut out if helmet wear is an issue on a turbo for you.
  • Escher303 wrote:
    Just bought a turbo trainer and wondered what the done thing was. Do people wear their helmet when on the turbo?

Could you not wait for April's fool? Now it's wasted...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Webboo wrote:
    No what you need is a bouldering or climbing crash pad, these are designed specifically for falling on to. The more daring amongst us could ride the turbo on top of the wardrobe with one of these. It would be good training for descending Alpine passes.

Good call! You should also join your local judo Club so that you can learn how to breakfall. Can't be too careful nowadays.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Besides the memory foam (never an overkill) you can buy sex straps and hooks on the ceiling and straps yourself in while you are on the top. That way you can even float in mid air and no need for saddle and you will never never fall off unless your hook or ceiling is not strong enough.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Besides the memory foam (never an overkill) you can buy sex straps and hooks on the ceiling and straps yourself in while you are on the top. That way you can even float in mid air and no need for saddle and you will never never fall off unless your hook or ceiling is not strong enough.

It might be helpful if you would post some links to the equipment you describe.
  • pinchez
    pinchez Posts: 76
    Helmet lol, all I wear are my boxers and a vest, never once fell off!
  • webboo
    That sounds like one step away from riding in your pyjamas.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    pinchez wrote:
    Helmet lol, all I wear are my boxers and a vest

don't your feet ache after a while ..... bare minimum I would would wear would be stiff soled shoes
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Once I start to sweat the T comes off anyway and I'm sat there looking like a goon in a pair of bib shorts and shiny white shoes.

Same here.

I assume the helmet thing is a joke, cos seriously, what??
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    fat daddy wrote:
    I see a whole new market for super lightweight, mega breathable trainer specific protection

(3) one of those grabber things so the second you start a workout and realise you left something just out of reach you can get it
    (4) another one of those grabber things designed to grab your grabber when you realise you left it just out of reach

Um, I actually keep an extra long pedal spanner near me to grab/prod all kinds of things while on the turbo (opening the shed door, adjusting the fan direction/speed, clicking the mouse button on zwift, snaring the headphones/mobile I've forgotten on my desk), and once used a bidon to get at my pedal spanner in exactly the scenario in (4) above. ... wanders over to amazon: oh look, you can get a medical grade grabber for under a tenner.
  • No helmet on my Zwift avatar bloke..
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • I was reminded of this thread when I found myself on the floor last night clipped into a rear-wheel less frame, after apparently not attaching my bike to the direct drive trainer properly!

No harm done to me in the end other than battered pride, but once I reflected on it, I wasn't fair off smashing my head onto the side of the TV unit!!

The bike on the other hand, needs a replacement rear hanger and mech :roll:
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    I was reminded of this thread when I found myself on the floor last night clipped into a rear-wheel less frame, after apparently not attaching my bike to the direct drive trainer properly!

No harm done to me in the end other than battered pride, but once I reflected on it, I wasn't fair off smashing my head onto the side of the TV unit!!

The bike on the other hand, needs a replacement rear hanger and mech :roll:

But were you wearing your helmet??