Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Ladies bike for a youngster.

oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,729
edited January 2017 in MTB buying advice
Following a recent post on the Laura Trott MTB1 and in need of a bigger bike for a rapidly growing 11yr old lad I'm half tempted to get it for him. Looking at removing stickers or covering with something more suitable and replacing the saddle for male specific one. My thoughts are that as a youngster he would be more suited to the ladies frame than a bigger male frame. I'm thinking that it will last him for at least 3 yrs if he grows like his bigger brother. What are your thoughts gents. It's an easy one for me to get past the wife as his existing bike and my carrera fury will cover it pretty much, plus I can get 10% off it. See spec.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -_-TopLink
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    Why do you think he would be more suited to a ladies frame?

If it's properly women specific it will have geometry to match women's longer legs and arms but shorter torso.

Or you could get a decent XS frame and swap the parts?
  • RockmonkeySCRockmonkeySC Posts: 15,247
    It'll lead to all sorts of things. You'll have no one to blame but yourself when he starts wearing his mothers dresses
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,729
    Not compared measurements against male equivalent but was assuming it was just a lower stand over compared to the male one. Didn't really want to buy it and then transfer to another frame I could do that with my 26" wheeled fury. I did try him on the fury but it's just miles to big for him to handle. I should have expected RMSC to come up with that stream of thought, whilst his mum would have liked a girl to even up the odds she is quite happy to keep him as a male. It's a pity halfords can't do the same spec on a male equivalent bike at the same money.
    Have a try, it may not be a proper women's bike but a men's frame with some colour and saddle and grips to suite women.
    With the spec as it is its worth a look and comparison. Luckily local branch has one in to look at.
  • hsiaolchsiaolc Posts: 492
    Firstly that bike is not cheap for a youngster. I personally will not get a ladies like that for my son.

Don't want him to get laughed at and lower his self confidence. Not sure about your reasoning and why you want to get him this one? There are other kids bikes.
    Current 24" bike miles to small, therefore option is build 26" wheeled bike in small or medium to fit fast growing son with epicon forks etc from donor bike. Or buy a new 27'5 bike with good spec with decals removed and replaced with bespoke ones and replacement saddle.
    oxoman wrote:
    Following a recent post on the Laura Trott MTB1 and in need of a bigger bike for a rapidly growing 11yr old lad I'm half tempted to get it for him. Looking at removing stickers or covering with something more suitable and replacing the saddle for male specific one. My thoughts are that as a youngster he would be more suited to the ladies frame than a bigger male frame. I'm thinking that it will last him for at least 3 yrs if he grows like his bigger brother. What are your thoughts gents. It's an easy one for me to get past the wife as his existing bike and my carrera fury will cover it pretty much, plus I can get 10% off it. See spec.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -_-TopLink

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ghos ... prod140387

How about this one? I would get that.

OR

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... prod141169

I have no idea how big your son is and what size bike he needs but those are just some of the boys bike that I would consider?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... prod139579

Thats for 5'5 to 5'7

Do you yourself ride a ladies bike?
    If you look at the bike in question it doesn't look like a ladies bike hence the reasoning. The 3 bikes you highlight are all triples and I was looking for a minimum or 1 x 10 and a decent fork. They're also a fair bit dearer. The Trott MTB1 has good forks and 1 x 11 gearing. If you look at the Giant Trance and the Giant Liv Lust you will note they are pretty much the same bikes, I just need to find out which bike the Trott takes after. Also looking at others.
    if you can get rid of the decal sure.

But I am sure you can get other more value for money bike out there with the same specs or higher with sales on. Just have to keep looking.

The fork seems very basic to me so not really selling point. You can always find another bike and look for second hand forks. My bro in law just bought a RRP 600 fork Rockshox Pike RCT3 for £100 second hand and it was recently serviced like brand new.

1X11 well it is the in now but I don't see anything wrong with 2X10 setup. Actually when you want to maintenance the components and change to 2X10 it is cheaper.

For a bike that will be outgrown in a few years I will try to go for second hand. When he gets full size you can get him the best you can afford?
    If that doesn't look like good value for a new bike then please show me something that gets anywhere near close.

Of course you can get better parts used, in other breaking news the sky is blue and the sea is grey! There is always more than one way to skin a cat but the OP is looking at a complete new bike as an option.

For a new bike that is brilliant value, many competitors have Suntour XCx forks and 3x9 at that price
    Well I've seen the bike in the flesh, turn out its a women's carrera Vulcan but without the reinforced seat post wedge piece that the male version has, otherwise geometry is the same as the male version. Sadly the lady theme means purple decals on forks and frame plus grips. Suspect removing decals won't be easy on frame. Pity as spec is brilliant, just keep looking.
    Fork stickers are usually external and easily removed with a hairdryer, then just buy some replacements off ebay for £5!

Grips easily changed as well, will send you some brand new black ones for the cost of postage if it convinces you.

Don't give up so easily!
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    I would just embrace my inner girl and love the purple.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
    Youngest refuses to have the trott mtb unless full resorts, wasn't interested with decals covering existing ones and bigger outstripping to cover girly stuff so looking at other options as wife starting to get whiney about it, so looking at other options, see links only requirements are 27,5 wheels, double or single up front semi decent forks. £500. Boardmans ok because I get 10% off.
    https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/marin- ... -5-16.html
    Or
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -comp-27-5
    Dilemma sorted, Boardman comp ordered this morning, hopefully the mechs at local halfrauds can assemble it without cocking up to much. Discounted price not bad for spec even better with extra 10% off for BC membership. He had better be grateful.
    Good results. Glad you went down the right route. You can't assemble the bike yourself?

Could be a fun thing to do with your son. To build the bike together.
    Stuck at work till teatime Monday and still recovering from recent surgery to arm, so having to take it steady. Needless to say I will.get the eldest lad to check everything is tight. Whoever buys one of the trotts will get a bargain that's for sure.
  • timbo_timtimbo_tim Posts: 199
    I got a Trott and with BC discount and some TCB it was a billy bargain for the wife. Though even she wants the trott decals removed as it's too girly apparently! No pleasing some people, I tried to point out the 1x11 chain set and a brilliant thru axle fork, utterly lost on her, so I am swapping both on to my boardman comp, the purple touches on the forks are easily removable vinyl stickers...