General fitness training

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
There is a lot on here about what sounds like serious training to me. Power based training for example. Or health advice such as injuries. I was wondering about just fitness training for health and to be active. What do you do? I'm looking for ideas.

I used to go to the gym a lot but now I don't. Looking for things i can do at home easily and conveniently. I've little space to put exercise equipment. I'm thinking turbo trainer (basic or smart) for cardio and some form of weight training.

Currently my exercise is 5 days of cycling to work with an easy walk or ride at the weekend. I'm not doing any strength training which is not good.

So over to you, serious training apart, what General strength and fitness do you do? What kit do you use? What exercises you do? Any suggestions?

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    There is a lot on here about what sounds like serious training to me. Power based training for example. Or health advice such as injuries. I was wondering about just fitness training for health and to be active. What do you do? I'm looking for ideas.

I used to go to the gym a lot but now I don't. Looking for things i can do at home easily and conveniently. I've little space to put exercise equipment. I'm thinking turbo trainer (basic or smart) for cardio and some form of weight training.

Currently my exercise is 5 days of cycling to work with an easy walk or ride at the weekend. I'm not doing any strength training which is not good.

So over to you, serious training apart, what General strength and fitness do you do? What kit do you use? What exercises you do? Any suggestions?
    I do cycling, swimming for cardio & upper body, and some basic weights at home, probably mostly for vanity.

There are multiple and interminable threads on weight training on BR (search for 'strength training'), and it depends if you want to be 'fitter' in the cardio-vascular sense, or 'fitter' in the looks sense. If you want to lift weights in order to be able to lift weights, that's fine too, but if you are after CV fitness, for bike fitness (or swimming fitness), rollers or turbo would be good, if you can stand the tedium, though that can be alleviated with software solutions with power.
  • Basically i believe strength training is needed to keep balance. If you only do one type of exercise you can create an imbalance to your musculature I once read and got told by gym instructor or two. My legs are strong but I think I'm getting aches and pains because I'm not working other muscle groups enough.

My aim is to provide a strong core like i used to have. Being tall I'm conscious of back injury. I have no interest in looking good or a high level of fitness. I've got a decent fitness level but could stand improving it a bit more.

unfortunately swimming and gym is out for me. Home based fitness for strength and cv. With cycling on turbo or riding outside counting for cv. Strength training is the bit I am not sure about. Using body weight with exercises like the plank (face down and on my side) and using an exercise ball or other source of instability for core is something i used to do in the gym. I don't know how best to work arms, legs, shoulders, etc. I used to use weights but we've got rid of them years ago. If necessary I could get more. I'm guessing legs could be lunges with weights being held.

If anyone has any exercise books good for home based exercising with limited equipment. I think there's a book on strength training for cyclists but I'm looking for general training books.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    A bit of light jogging is meant to be good for your bone mass (as it's an impact sport). Although I pretty much stopped because I didn't like that I was getting slower on the bike and felt the time would be more usefully spent cycling...

I do a bit of weights, mainly horizontal rows as my left shoulder is naturally a lot weaker than my right and the imbalance causes aches. Some press ups occasionally.

Not sure it's worth over thinking it if you're just doing it for general fitness - a turbo for general CV (or rollers are a bit more involved so possibly less boring), some calisthenics and a few weights, job done...
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    The fittest I felt this year was end May, out 2 or 3 times a week on the bike and supplemented with 4 or 5k. Reverted to bike only after that but did notice a drop off.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    McStumpy wrote:
    The fittest I felt this year was end May, out 2 or 3 times a week on the bike and supplemented with 4 or 5k. Reverted to bike only after that but did notice a drop off.
    Depends what you mean by fitness.

I found that taking out 1 or 2 days a week cycling and replacing that with running was making me slower on the bike, even though it was possibly better for my general wellbeing. Since I can't fit in big volumes any loss in one area has an impact.

Fittest I was this year was end of September when I had managed 2 and a bit months of 10-20 hour bike weeks :)
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I row .....possibly the finest source of all over body pain you can administer in a CV workout
    Zwift ...... possibly the most fun I have ever had working out .. CV direct correlation to cycling of course
    Weights .... full body workout ... increase in strength, and as someone said above, vanity ... oh and allegedly its great for fat burning, bone density, longevity etc etc .. but seriously .... pec flexing !!!!
    and ultimately ... find a 5 year old child and play hard at being a fairy or unicorn
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    If you've got your cardio covered with the bike I'd consider fitting in a HIIT session such as Body Coach , only 15-20 minutes iof actual training time, can be done in a small space, good for core and legs. Follow it from YouTube on your smart TV or iPad. I found I ached badly (DOMS) for the first couple of sessions, highlighted my lack of strength exercise due to just cycling. I have degenerative discs but have no issues with the exercises at the beginner level and wanted. Simple circuit based on 20 sec work, 10 sec rest X 4 for each set of eg, knee raises, knee press up and touching shoulder with opposite hand, supermans, squats, chain punching, sideways shuttles. Take a look, give it a go? No kit required, no gym, it's free.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    My job has eaten a lot of my cycling time this year so I started doing a bit of running. I don't enjoy it but I have built up to 3-6 miles about 3 times a week. It has definitely helped me maintain a degree of aerobic fitness that I would have surrendered otherwise. Its easy to fit in, shoes on and out the door plus a fair bit of mine is also accompanied by my faithful weimaraner. Started slow, walk run etc and now can knock out 10km in under an hour. Hardly impressive but with some benefit.
  • Strength training doesn't have to mean the vanity aspect. It's part of a healthy lifestyle. Instead of pumping iron you lower the weight and increase the number of repetitions. Back when i used a gym for 5 or 6 sessions a week i used to do an hour of cv and hour of strength training based around lower weights/high reps. Never put much bulk on if any. I did tone up though. Part of the training included a lot of stomach curls which are like sit ups but harder.

The trouble is i don't have space or money for a full resistance setup. I've not got a full set of weights neither. I was hoping someone knew of a cheap but effective weight training system for home use. Space and money restricted. I know some bits using body weight. Also others using body weight, body movement and handheld weights. Lunges with dumbbells to increase the loading, add in arm curls too. There must be more such things.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    For general health and to be active may I suggest cycling?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Tom Dean wrote:
    For general health and to be active may I suggest cycling?

radical...
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664

If just for general fitness it sounds like you are already doing it by cycling to works 5 days a week and doing a walk or ride at the weekend. Depends of course how far your commute is and how much effort you are putting into it. If only a few miles, just extend the route a bit, and put more effort into it. It might not be practical on the way to work if you can't get a shower there, but if so make your route home a bit longer and harder.
  • OP I recommend kettlebells. They'd fit your criteria of suitable for home use and not too expensive - especially given their versatility.

However, I should add I am a keen cyclist, but I'm not seeking to be lowest weight possible and unlike some purists on here I'm fine if my cycling is impacted by my strength & conditioning work.

If you do go down the Kettlebell route then I suggest getting some sessions in with a trainer with a decent certification. Getting technique right from the start is crucial to minimise injuries.
  • Not sure if I've made myself clear enough. IMHO general fitness means cv, strength and flexibility. Cycling covers cv, two half hour commutes at HR zone 3 to 4 a day with 5 days of this a week. I'm no longer as close to my old flexibility as i think is good for me. Strength training is non-existent except if you think the muscles used by cycling is enough. Personally i feel cycling does nothing for my core or upper body.

I'm not training for any sport or event. I am only looking for exercise ideas and basic home equipment to enable me to train for a healthy life.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Unfortunately, there isn't going to be a specific answer to your question, because the question itself is not specific. People do all kinds of things for 'general' wellbeing, including (but not limited to) swimming, yoga, running, mountaineering, ballroom dancing or skydiving.

But because there is no actual definition of 'general fitness', there won't be a specific answer either.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Strength , cv , flexibility, ( can add stretching, but the moves are conducive), doesn't take long (20 mins, or I double up and follow 2 sessions ) , no equipment needed, do it at home .... Body Coach, YouTube.... What else do you need? A challenging , sweaty overall workout in the comfort of your own home, no fees, your timings.. I started it for the same reasons, wanted strength, upper body, core and legs and help to keep me mobile with 3 degenerative discs in low back.
    Give it a go, you'll be sore.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Personally i feel cycling does nothing for my core or upper body.
    One of these is quite good for the core if you use it regularly:
    http://wondercore.thanedirect.co.uk/?gc ... 0wodRMIIlg
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    The people who only recommend cycling are the 40 year old blokes with the bones and ligaments of a 70 year old.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    AK_jnr wrote:
    The people who only recommend cycling are the 40 year old blokes with the bones and ligaments of a 70 year old.

Its ok though, they are also the ones that pour scorn on anyone that spends for than 5 shillings on a bike, eat anything other than home made flapjacks or get someone else to service their bike. I don't think their cycling adventures actually involve much actual cycling!
  • I've had decades of mostly walking, climbing, canoeing and short periods of cycling. Mostly load bearing walking and long distances. The canoeing was very good for core, that and your legs is where the power comes from.

When i used to go to the gym, before the family, I tailored my exercises to the activities i did most. Core for canoeing then i switched to more leg work with the core in my walking/backpacking days. At the centre was a strong core. Very important to me, especially because I'm tall. There's a lot of strain on my back i think.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    AK_jnr wrote:
    because riding your bike is actually bad for your health?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Cycle more it save buying new kit. I dont have the bones of a 70 year old either.

Swimming is good but require a big pool. I am not sure there is other excersies that you can do at home that actuallh help cycling apart from more cycling. You can pedal in different ways, easy, intervals, low cadance, high cadance e.t.c

Stretching excersies to improve and maintain flexability are good but you dont do that for fitness.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I was wondering about just fitness training for health and to be active. What do you do? I'm looking for ideas.
    Just to be clear this post was started to find out what people do for general health and fitness. That's not just for cycling performance but health. To prevent aches, pains and ill health that comes with increased age. In my mind cycling is one good exercise for cardiovascular health/fitness, but it doesn't exercise your whole body. It's not the complete solution.

Swimming is a good exercise too, but it isn't load bearing which i always understood imparted benefits to bone density. Plus you need a pool. Not easy since my nearest is in a school which restricts access to certain, inconvenient times. Others would take too much time to get to and from.

Home weights, cycling (my commute would be ok for that) and perhaps running to give a bit of a different exercise. Stretching and flexibility could be done at home cheaply too.

So far i think i just need a little bit of kit and the knowledge to effectively use it. I've a little knowledge but not complete.

I'm curious about what others do. I'm sure some are cycling focussed completely. Others swim or feel ok paying for a gym. I'm no longer happy paying so much when I'm likely only able to actually get to it a couple of times a week. Home exercise and i could fit more in. Half an hour here, half an hour there. It is easier to make it part of your life.

Well that's my thoughts on this.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Every morning I do a series of stretchs and some theraband exs for my back and shoulders. At least 3 times a week I climb, at the moment this is mainly on my training board in the garage, which is a 40 degree overhanging board. I get out on the rock when I can.
    Then I ride my bike 3 or 4 times a week. I also have some weights at home but I haven't used them since June.
  • In my early twenties i got into indoor wall climbing with trad climbing outdoors. Long time ago. I had a really strong grip before i took up climbing and being incredibly underweight but still being strong i developed a neat trick of being able to hang around upside down for longer than most. A near complete fear of heights stopped me doing the difficult grades though. Spent most of my climbing wall time low down practising moves. This was a little before bouldering reached the awareness of my club so i didn't realise that was what i was doing. I became a good climber but never got my head straight over the heights issue. Bouldering would have suited me well.

Anyway I'm now over 3 stone heavier now and last attempt at climbing was demoralizing. Couldn't even hold my weight up. Used to be able to do single arm pull ups using 2 fingers. I was bmi 16 but fit and strong back then.

Climbing is amazing exercise i reckon for upper body strength and lower leg strength. In some ways very complimentary to cycling. However since a broken hand my grip strength is a problem with climbing for me. Plus a bmi in the middle of ideal range.
  • webboo
    I was just posting to give you an example of what others did as well as ride, which is what I gathered you were requesting. Having been a rock climber for 44 years and a cyclist for 33 years I would say they don't complement each other. Large thigh muscles aren't a great help for a climber and a tight lower back/ hamstrings aren't either.
    The times when I have been at the top of my game in either sport is when I virtually stopped doing one of them.
    Cross training is a bad thing :mrgreen:
  • Perhaps if you're climbing at higher levels but if you're doing things for fun and general fitness i reckon the two do compliment. Afterall you're not doing both to be at a particular level. Cycling for a few hours for pleasure one day and climbing trad climbs in the lakes at vdiff/severe levels up some classics at the next. That hardly going to clash. However you're exercising your whole body with these two pursuits. Certainly seemed to be a lot of very keen cyclists among my climbing club back in the day.
  • webboo
    If your talking about Vdiffs and severes we are talking about a different sport. The warm ups on my training board are probably English 5b or 5c. Cycling wise I was racing at the time.
  • Try to fit in 3x 1Hr. sessions per week. For instance day 1 -squats, deadlifts, kettle bell swings. Day 2 Chest, biceps and triceps. Day 3 Shoulders, core. Mix that in with the cycling for your CV and sort your diet out and there's no reason for you not to start looking like a lightweight Arnie in a year, if you really want it!
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    As Webboo says, if you just dabble then it's fine to do lots of different things, but if you want to be reasonably good at a sport, you have to specialize.

Over my life I have been involved at a serious level in rock climbing, skiing, running and now cycling. Never successfully in two at the same time. It's psychologically difficult as well as demanding on resources, particularly money and time.