Not another helmet debate, but the next contentious issue?

andcp
andcp Posts: 644
edited December 2016 in The cake stop
Headphones may lead to an early demise according to a coroner - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12 ... sed-death/
"It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    click-bait headline.

Failure to look and a fractured skull.. surely this is another helmet debate?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I dunno ... not wearing a helmet, having a "too sort" brake cable, wearing headphones, entering a roundabout without looking right.

surely the thing to blame here would be the one thing they didn't actually put the blame on would be "falling off your bike can kill you"
  • iPete wrote:
    click-bait headline.

Failure to look and a fractured skull.. surely this is another helmet debate?

Agreed, the coroner said "I cannot determine if she was on her iPhone listening with earphone at the time, but if she had been, it could have caused a distraction" which is surely stating the obvious, but doesn't say that this was the reason she was distracted. Cycling while not paying attention is dangerous.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    She entered a roundabout without looking. There was a lorry already on it. That was never going to end well - cycling or driving.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Shock find by Telegraph that the lorry driver was English and the blame could not be put on EU.
  • I accept this was an entirely avoidable incident and the cause of the events that lead op to the accident rest entirely with the cyclist.
    Coroner Professor Marks
    I must agree.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Tragic death of a 38yo woman, she could no doubt have had exactly the same fall (remember she wasnt hit by the lorry) 999 times and got up with a few grazes.

very sad for her family.

i m not sure what is contentious or anything else about the story, unless the OP is bored out of his xxxx ing mind.
  • Bloody appalling journalism. Road.cc's version is flawed and, ironically, the Daily Mail has the best report.

It's a narrative summing up of the evidence presented before presenting the verdict of accidental death. There will be may's in there as that's in the nature of the evidence.

In this case it seems to have been an 'accident' if there is such a thing. There's a rail against infrastructure else where as well, quite rightly. But the world is not perfect.

She broke her spine and suffered a fractured skull. Without entering into the helmet debate it may have made a difference. But, crucially, he does not criticise her for not wearing one. That is positive and pretty neutral over all. Music may be a distraction. It may not. Stating it does not necessarily apportion blame in that respect.

It would be nice to read the transcript (costly and available only to 'interested parites') to get a better feel for the case overall without this type of crappy journalism.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    Yes, very sad. But nobody knows exactly what happened. I did notice the Carrera bike and too short brake cable, they really do need to improve the QC of bike building.
  • He said: "She would cycle most days before work and was competent and knew the local area. She would listen to music and have a cycle app.

I blame Wig... No wait, Strava.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Wasn't the bike two years old and she was a regular cyclist ? You'd have thought that she'd have discovered the poor or non existent braking before the incident - or at least been aware that it wasn't that good and ridden accordingly ?

Tragic accident - condolences to the family.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    mamba80 wrote:
    i m not sure what is contentious or anything else about the story, unless the OP is bored out of his xxxx ing mind.
    Well, I was skiving from a webex about some new software when I saw this, so yes, I was bored out of my f*cking mind and I fell for the click bait.

To echo the sentiment on here, tragic accident which was probably avoidable.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill