Noob question about fork maxel?

jdee84
jdee84 Posts: 282
edited November 2016 in MTB beginners
Bought this second hand recently

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -650b-2014

The axel that holds the wheel in the fork has a quick release lever type thing for screwing it in and out. Stupid question but does it matter which side of the fork the levers on disk side or non disk side? It's on the non disk side, removed the wheel last night to fit rim tape and the disk seems to maybe be rubbing the pads since putting the wheel back in.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The maxle can only go into the non disc size as you need a thread to screw into!
    Have you got the right spacers in, is it tight?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jdee84
    The Rookie wrote:
    The maxle can only go into the non disc size as you need a thread to screw into!
    Have you got the right spacers in, is it tight?

I'm not sure about spacers this is the first time i ve taken the front wheel off since buying the bike, should they just be on the maxle? It's screwed in tight but there does seem to be a very slight amount of movement possible for the wheel from side to side
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is the lever closed? You screw it in then tighten up with the lever like a standard QR.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jdee84
    cooldad wrote:
    Is the lever closed? You screw it in then tighten up with the lever like a standard QR.

I put the maxle back through and then put the lever in the grove in the end of the maxle and screwed it in until it was fully in then closed the lever over
  • The Rookie
    How much effort did it take to flip the lever? As a rule of thumb it should leave a white mark on the palm of your hand for a few seconds.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jdee84
    The Rookie wrote:
    How much effort did it take to flip the lever? As a rule of thumb it should leave a white mark on the palm of your hand for a few seconds.

It was pretty easy to flip over it didn't really feel like it was getting much harder to flip though as the maxle was screwed in
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    jdee84 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

It was pretty easy to flip over it didn't really feel like it was getting much harder to flip though as the maxle was screwed in

Sounds like you need to adjust the maxle lever tension, depends which version you have as you can on some insert a 2.5mm allen key into the top and turn clockwise a couple of turns to tighten the lever resistance you will hear a click.

There are a few videos on youtube for maxle adjustment.
  • jdee84
    swod1 wrote:
    jdee84 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Sounds like you need to adjust the maxle lever tension, depends which version you have as you can on some insert a 2.5mm allen key into the top and turn clockwise a couple of turns to tighten the lever resistance you will hear a click.

There are a few videos on youtube for maxle adjustment.

I tried this and the lever was harder to close over. Still getting a slight rubbing noise I think. Could the wheel being out of true be something that would affect this?
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Mine does this occasionally after removing the wheel, just re-centre the caliper as method above or do it visually.
  • The Rookie
    To clarify, you loosen the two bolts holding the calliper to the fork or adaptor, nothing to do with pads! (Last time that advice was given someone split the calliper and royally FUBARed everything.