Castro's Dead

Comments

• ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    Castro's dead? Good riddance! Consigned to the toilet of history along with the other despotic megalomaniacs such as Hitler, Lenin and Stalin. They'll all be sat around in a warm fiery and hot place paying dearly for their crimes..
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,525
    ukiboy wrote:
    Castro's dead? Good riddance! Consigned to the toilet of history along with the other despotic megalomaniacs such as Hitler, Lenin and Stalin. They'll all be sat around in a warm fiery and hot place paying dearly for their crimes..
    That seems to be the view of many Cubans who can say what they think (i.e. the ones who live outside Cuba):
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/26/the-old-man-is-dead-fidel-castros-death-sparks-celebrations-on-streets-of-miami
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ukiboy
    Stevo 666 - you are quite right as are the many Cubans who are now free to express their opinions...
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    ukiboy wrote:
    That seems to be the view of many Cubans who can say what they think (i.e. the ones who live outside Cuba):
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/26/the-old-man-is-dead-fidel-castros-death-sparks-celebrations-on-streets-of-miami

A biased sample?

An interesting discussion would be how different things could have been if the USA had not tried to invade and then repeatedly try to assassinate him.

What would his regime have been like and how might Cuba look today?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    ukiboy wrote:

A biased sample?

An interesting discussion would be how different things could have been if the USA had not tried to invade and then repeatedly try to assassinate him.

I would say thay are biased because they very likely had good cause to leave their home country.

US Cubans number approx 10% of the current population of Cuba so thats saying something.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Sums it up in pictures :wink:

i-crossed-90-miles-of-shark-infested-hurricane-ridden-ocean-at-night-on-a-raft-i-made-out-of-water-bottles-to-escape-free-market-capitalism.jpg
  • ukiboy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    ukiboy wrote:

A biased sample?

Why are you defending this scum? He is in the same sordid club as Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Pol Pot etc.. IE: low life dictators who held life in very low esteem and who butchered many poor people without any moral scruples.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Castro was a tin pot dictator of a tiny island nation. He stood up to the Americans? Yes, but last time I checked the maps the US Guantanamo Bay base was still in Cuba. He survived only because of Soviet patronage, not by his own strength or political skill. That got him through the Reagan and Bush interventionist years, then when the Soviet Union collapsed and the Democrats were in power, Cuba was more or less irrelevant to the USA, but the USA was a good place for Cubans to flee from his dictatorship.

He is simply not in the same league as Hitler, Stalin and the rest that Ukiboy mentions. He simply wasn't that big a deal on the international stage except as a pawn in US/Soviet war gaming
  • ukiboy
    He'd be in the same league as the afore mentioned scum bags if it was you who were stood in front of one of his firing squads...
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    ukiboy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    ukiboy wrote:

A biased sample?

Why are you defending this scum? He is in the same sordid club as Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Pol Pot etc.. IE: low life dictators who held life in very low esteem and who butchered many poor people without any moral scruples.

Castro isnt in the same league as those you mention, certainly no where near as evil as say, Pinochet (who did absolutely nothing for any of his people) who M Thatcher was a good friend too, indeed stopped his prosecution, would you describe MT as scum? judge someone by the company they keep and all that!

Castro did quite a lot of good (and of course a heck of alot of bad thinks too) medics to Africa, helped over through white rule in Angola, which led to the SA releasing Mandela.
  • ukiboy
    MT as far as I know didn't put people in front of a firing squad. Castro did. Castro is in that same grubby dictatorial club as the afore mentioned people that I mentioned is in.
    The far left are every bit as dangerous and reprehensible as the far right.
    Castro=Hitler=Stalin=Lenin=Marx et al...
  • mamba80 wrote:
    ukiboy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    ukiboy wrote:

A biased sample?

Castro isnt in the same league as those you mention, certainly no where near as evil as say, Pinochet (who did absolutely nothing for any of his people) who M Thatcher was a good friend too, indeed stopped his prosecution, would you describe MT as scum? judge someone by the company they keep and all that!

Castro did quite a lot of good (and of course a heck of alot of bad thinks too) medics to Africa, helped over through white rule in Angola, which led to the SA releasing Mandela.
    Hitler,Stalin, Lenin, Pol Pot and Thatcher scum the lot of em.
    Anyone who stands up to capitalist regimes and and capitalism et al are obviously vilified by the right wing media and capitalist nations and their intersts.
    Castro lead a peoples revolution and obviously the USA and its allies made sure the populous paid the price. Cuba has one of the best health care systems in the world, I believe because private interests have been kept well out of it.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    A veritable paradise eh Frank?

https://www.hrw.org/americas/cuba
  • ballysmate
    BTW See you still hold dear Margaret in such high esteem. :lol:
  • ukiboy wrote:
    MT as far as I know didn't put people in front of a firing squad. Castro did. Castro is in that same grubby dictatorial club as the afore mentioned people that I mentioned is in.

Castro and thatcher are a lot closer than Castro to Stalin, Hitler or Pol Pot
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    BTW See you still hold dear Margaret in such high esteem. :lol:
    In a previous post I said I wouldn't burn a tory, obviously.

I had a momentary lapse, I really would make an exception for her.
    Tail end Charlie

• Ballysmate wrote:

Hardly, however, the lot of the populous is partly down to the fact the country has had an embargo on it for decades, thus not allowing Cuba to blossom and its economy to be stifled which will of course lead to unrest. Capitalist dictatorships like the US don't want fledgling communist states to thrive.

In the next 30 years the sh1t will hit the fan here.
    Tail end Charlie

• ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:

Hardly, however, the lot of the populous is partly down to the fact the country has had an embargo on it for decades, thus not allowing Cuba to blossom and its economy to be stifled which will of course lead to unrest. Capitalist dictatorships like the US don't want fledgling communist states to thrive.

So arbitrary arrest, imprisonment, beatings and removal of their rights is all America's fault? Yeah, right.
  • ukiboy wrote:

Castro and thatcher are a lot closer than Castro to Stalin, Hitler or Pol Pot
    True, Thatcher never stood anyone in front of a firing squad.

However, her policies have condemned millions to slow lingering deaths by taking away their livelihoods, hopes and aspirations. If that wasn't enough the benefits that they were then forced onto are now being taken away.

I think I would sooner be stood against a wall and shot for being an undesirable than have a lifetime of nothingness. At least there is a degree of honesty about the former. Thatcher and her ilk hate working masses having any kind of rights or influence but in the UK we have to be a bit more subtle about how the undesirables/unworthy are got rid of.
    Tail end Charlie

• Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

So arbitrary arrest, imprisonment, beatings and removal of their rights is all America's fault? Yeah, right.
    The actions of the US have possibly lead to some Cubans being disaffected, how a regime deals with those people is up to that regime, I will not condone the oppression of freedom of expression.
    Tail end Charlie

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    ukiboy wrote:

As i said, she knew xxxxing well what sort of evil despot Pinochet was and defended him to the end, makes her as bad as he was and if she could of, she d have had the miners shot too, just like she ordered the deaths of those Argentinian conscripts in a WW2 boat.

But even i would nt class Castro or Pinochet in th same league as Hitler/Stalin, neither killed millions directly nor started world wars.

Its not all the US fault but Cuba was more effected by these sanctions than anything inflicted on Assad, why is that?
  • Stevo_666
    She's already been cremated Frank. Burning her twice sounds like some leftie job creation scheme :wink:
  • ballysmate
    mamba80 wrote:
    ukiboy wrote:

As i said, she knew xxxxing well what sort of evil despot Pinochet was and defended him to the end, makes her as bad as he was and if she could have, she d have had the miners shot too, just like she ordered the deaths of those Argentinian conscripts in a WW2 boat.

But even i would nt class Castro or Pinochet in th same league as Hitler/Stalin, neither killed millions directly nor started world wars.

Its not all the US fault but Cuba was more effected by these sanctions than anything inflicted on Assad, why is that?

I have said on this forum before now that I can't condone her support for Pinochet. Perhaps it was a quid pro quo for Chile's help during the Falkland war.
    Shooting miners? Are you on drugs?
    As regards the Belgrano, to which I assume you are referring. the Argentinian Navy was indeed 30% conscripts, but this didn't make it any less dangerous did it?
    The Belgrano was the lead ship in a flotilla. There was another flotilla led by a carrier further north and the fear was that the RN task force would be caught in a pincer movement.

I can almost hear you saying "Ah but The Belgrano was outside the exclusion zone!"
    But this is the message passed to Argentina via the Swiss Embassy in Buenos Aires.

In announcing the establishment of a Maritime Exclusion Zone around the Falkland Islands, Her Majesty’s Government made it clear that this measure was without prejudice to the right of the United Kingdom to take whatever additional measures may be needed in the exercise of its right of self-defence under Article 51 of the United Nations Charter. In this connection Her Majesty’s Government now wishes to make clear that any approach on the part of Argentine warships, including submarines, naval auxiliaries or military aircraft, which could amount to a threat to interfere with the mission of British Forces in the South Atlantic will encounter the appropriate response. All Argentine aircraft, including civil aircraft engaged in surveillance of these British forces, will be regarded as hostile and are liable to be dealt with accordingly.

You are right that Cuba was affected by sanctions more than other countries. 55 years!!
    Perhaps you are right as it appears to show sanctions don't work.
  • ballysmate
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    She's already been cremated Frank. Burning her twice sounds like some leftie job creation scheme :wink:

:lol:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    ukiboy wrote:

Marx was not only an opponent of the death penalty, but he also warned against authoritarian leaders such as Stalin, Mao or Castro using Marxist philosophy as an excuse to concentrate power into their own hands. He believed that violent revolution was inevitable (as opposed to desirable), but he lived in a time in which working class revolts were brutally put down by capitalist governments. For Marx, the end goal would be for a state which would, in his words, "wither away".

Whether or not you agree with Marx, putting him in the same bracket as Hitler and Stalin is completely and utterly inaccurate.
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

:lol:
    It would be just like the good old days when workmen got paid to dig a hole then fill it in again. Literally.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920
    At first glance I read the thread title as 'Castro's dad'.

An interesting character: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81ngel_Castro_y_Argiz - 12 children, from liaisons with various women, including a cook and a farmhand. He also had a business of 27,000 acres and 300 employees.
  • Ballysmate wrote:

That's a US embargo. The other 195 nations of the world have been free to trade with Cuba. The US was Fidel's bogeyman.
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • Fidel knew more about the free market than most people.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB113590852154334404

"On May 27, [1966,] 166 Cubans -- civilians and members of the military -- were executed and submitted to medical procedures of blood extraction of an average of seven pints per person. This blood is sold to Communist Vietnam at a rate of $50 per pint with the dual purpose of obtaining hard currency and contributing to the Vietcong Communist aggression.
    "A pint of blood is equivalent to half a liter. Extracting this amount of blood from a person sentenced to death produces cerebral anemia and a state of unconsciousness and paralysis. Once the blood is extracted, the person is taken by two militiamen on a stretcher to the location where the execution takes place."
    -- InterAmerican Human Rights Commission, April 7, 1967

This weekend marks the 47th anniversary of the triumph of the "26th of July Movement," which many Cubans expected would return their country to a constitutional government. Fidel Castro had other ideas of course, and within weeks he hijacked the victory, converting the country into one of the most repressive states in modern history.
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations