Buying a Kickr. Need input. New vs. Original

karlkras
karlkras Posts: 14
I've been trying to get this damn LeMond Revolution trainer with what appears to be a faulty WattBox working for me but it isn't doing it, so I'm going to bite the bullet and get a new unit (anyone wanna Revolution in great shape?)

I'm on the Wahoo site and see they have the "New Kickr" for $1,119.99 and the "Original Kickr" for $899.99. I was just about to pull the trigger on the latter but wanted to check with others who may be familiar with these models.

Features look very similar, and reviews on their site mention very little of actual differences other then possible noise reduction (minimal according to one review) and the power measurement system is different (? problems with original?). Anyone here have experience with both models and give some feedback on whether it's worth paying the extra 200 for this new model?

thanks for any feedback,
Karl

Comments

• It's mainly a reduction in that trademark whining noise, but they also apparently made it more responsive/accurate and added a handle.

Noise comparison YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwAzNDqZPdU
  • I have the older one..I guess it depends where you use it.Mine is in the man cave, cunningly disguised as a garage, so the noise is not an issue, but the whine from it might be annoying if you were in an apartment or upstairs in a house.

Vinny
  • The new version is actually cheaper for Wahoo to make and is more accurate in the way it calculates power yet it is more expensive to the consumer. Wahoo admitted to going around the houses so to speak when devising how to accurately and consistently output power within the original unit. The revised edition is totally different. You're paying for the good reputation they have built up though. Customer service is the best barr none.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3