Flat pedal for mtb and commute

Tom_D3
Tom_D3 Posts: 13
edited November 2016 in MTB buying advice
Can anybody reccomend any flat pedals that offer enough grip for trail riding but not too aggressive to completely destroy the soles of my shoes?? I have to use my bike to cycle to school too, and would prefer some flats that won't tear up the soles of my school shoes. Looking to spend no more than £30, pedals like DMR V8, Nukeproof electron evo; but woried the pins may be too aggressive.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Look for pedals which have replaceable pins. You can just remove the pins when going to school, and jam them back in when you're about to hit the trail.

It may take 3 or 5 minutes of your life every time you're going to the trails, but you'll be making no compromise on the performance aspect.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    For around that money you can't go wrong with a pair of wellgo mg1 pedals, lightweight magnesium.

Or some wellgo v8 copies.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Plastic v6's ... light as anything and only £15 on CR
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Look for pedals which have replaceable pins. You can just remove the pins when going to school, and jam them back in when you're about to hit the trail.

It may take 3 or 5 minutes of your life every time you're going to the trails, but you'll be making no compromise on the performance aspect.

Threads in aluminium aren't particularly durable so changing pins regularly will soon strip threads.
  • Tom_D3
    Look for pedals which have replaceable pins. You can just remove the pins when going to school, and jam them back in when you're about to hit the trail.

Threads in aluminium aren't particularly durable so changing pins regularly will soon strip threads.

I'd thought about removing the pins, what material pedal will have the most durable threads?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pretty much all pedals are aluminium, magnesium or plastic, so none would be great.

It would be easier to swap pedals each ride, takes a minute, removing a couple of dozen pins will take ages.

Just get a cheap set of Wellgos for commuting and a decent set for proper riding.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • neilvx
    neilvx Posts: 137
    I love my Wellgo MG1, less than £30 :-)
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 27.5 2017 Grey / Yellow Flash
    Ribble R872 Ultegra
    Skyway BMX
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Learn to ride clips. It's the only way to go. Once you get used to them they're actually better for technical riding.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wou,d agree with RMSC (dammit) clipless is really so much better, but if you want flats then as suggested just swap pedals it wil only take seconds.

My town hack bike uses Cree8 plastic pedals and they have proven suprisingly good, the grip on the platform is more than good enough for road duties and they are still working just fine more than two years on, cost me £5.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Tom_D3
    Thanks for all the advice.
    I went for a set of Gusset slim jims in the end - the local bike shop had them on offer and they seem to be good for what I need.
  • Wellgo C162s at Merlin were 25 squids, loving my set.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo