Overshoes for flats

The_Wicker_Man
The_Wicker_Man Posts: 338
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone use overshoes for flat pedals?

I'm trying to find some for these bitterly cold mornings but having no such luck.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You'd just destroy them on the pedals. Clip less is a much better bet.
  • Yes I know but never get on with clipless.
  • I just wear two layers of socks.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They don't exist. You'll destroy over shoes with flats.
    I've never seen mountain bike specific over shoes, they're all designed for either touring or road.
  • d00g81
    d00g81 Posts: 18
    Waterproof socks. Plastic sandwich bags or tinfoil around inside front of shoes if its very cold. Or walking boots if its even colder.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    oxoman wrote:
    As above. Best bet is proper winter shoes mtb style for use on flat pedals.

Name an example of a proper mtb flat sole shoe for winter.

An example of a winter SPD shoe is Northwave Celsius Artics, so whats the equivalent.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Just get some decent socks like sealskinz etc.

I've sprayed my am41s with that waterproofing spray they always recommend buying in shoe shops seems ok so far.
  • Briggo
    edited November 2016
    oxoman wrote:

Sherlock, they're SPDs.

So back to my point, find me a 'proper' flat winter MTB shoe please, those would work to a point if pootling around using flats but anything technical and they'll start to loose grip because of the base of them is harder than any normal shoe.
  • Briggo
    swod1 wrote:
    Just get some decent socks like sealskinz etc.

I've sprayed my am41s with that waterproofing spray they always recommend buying in shoe shops seems ok so far.

Ive got 41's and I fail to see how spraying DWR treatment spray on them will help, they're plastic type coated trainers so how will the DWR spray soak into them? That and DWR treatment works for a bit once its soaked into a fabric but its certainly no overshoe in the right material equivalent.

Sealskinz are ok to a point and also depends on the rest of your attire, however the only slight issue is the great big hole at the top which once that water trickles down your tree trunks fills up the bin bags and that water isn't coming out which is worse.

Theres no easy answer, thick merino socks will get wet but at least they'll allow the water to drain out and help keep feet warm.

The only thing I've found that really works is push yourself hard on a ride and keep your core warm, this allows your system to push the blood more to your extremities and keep hands, feet etc that bit warmer which helps when they're all soaked.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They grip really badly on flats though, the sole is far to stiff (material level not macro level).

I wear army surplus MVP socks (similar to sealskinz) and the a pair of warm inner socks, toes only start to get chilly after about 3-4 hours riding (circa zero).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Briggo
    oxoman wrote:
    Might be spd Holmes, but no problem wearing them with flats as you save the insert in doh. Most mtb or touring style shoes come with inserts just in case you want to use them without spd cleats unlike road spd,sl or similar types. I've managed for several years doing various red and black trails all over the country with no issues, hard wearing. Alot better than wrecking endless sets of overshoes.

I'm sure you can potter around on a red (the grading of trail centres varies so wildly) and not have a problem, if you want to actually push yourself, i.e. do some jumps etc it just wont work anywhere near as well.

Back to the drawing board bud.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Altura Attack MTB overshoes. Paid about £25 well over a year ago and have used them plenty. They're virtually undamaged still. Easy on, easy off. Great water protection. Great cold protection. Was so pleased with them I just had to send their design team an email of congratulations.

Absolute bargain IMO. The understrap (which you also get a spare set included of) sits a little back towards the heel of the foot meaning that, as long as you've got your feet positioned correctly on the pedal, the studs of your pedal shouldn't rip it up. Buy them, you'll thank me.
  • Nasha48 wrote:
    Altura Attack MTB overshoes.

Thanks, will order a pair and try them out :D
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Nasha48 wrote:
    Altura Attack MTB overshoes. Paid about £25 well over a year ago and have used them plenty. They're virtually undamaged still. Easy on, easy off. Great water protection. Great cold protection. Was so pleased with them I just had to send their design team an email of congratulations.

Absolute bargain IMO. The understrap (which you also get a spare set included of) sits a little back towards the heel of the foot meaning that, as long as you've got your feet positioned correctly on the pedal, the studs of your pedal shouldn't rip it up. Buy them, you'll thank me.

I will be damned. Was about to tell him to wear some ugg boots if he is that desperate!

I will go get some of these myselves!
  • Briggo
    Nasha48 wrote:
    Altura Attack MTB overshoes.

Thanks, will order a pair and try them out :D

Now thats a more sensible suggestion and never come across them before.

Ordered.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Nasha48 wrote:
    Altura Attack MTB overshoes. Paid about £25 well over a year ago and have used them plenty. They're virtually undamaged still. Easy on, easy off. Great water protection. Great cold protection. Was so pleased with them I just had to send their design team an email of congratulations

Nice one, think I'll get a pair of these too for rides to work.

I didn't think they ever made such a thing that was compatible with flat shoes.
  • Briggo wrote:

So back to my point, find me a 'proper' flat winter MTB shoe please, those would work to a point if pootling around using flats but anything technical and they'll start to loose grip because of the base of them is harder than any normal shoe.

https://www.onlywhatsnecessary.com/#overview

Pricey, but challenge accepted.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Nasha48 wrote:

My parents got me a pair of these for Christmas. I've only used them once for a days cycling but have been very pleased with them so far.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Briggo

https://www.onlywhatsnecessary.com/#overview

Pricey, but challenge accepted.

They weren't released at the time of the question, anyway while I'm here I have to say the Altura Attack overshoes are extremely good.

Used them about 20+ times now and they're very warm, very water resistant (cant say waterproof, but never had wet feet yet, they beat Sealskinz socks hands down) and work with either flats or SPD shoes. Only minor negative is they are a bit heavy but you can tell why due to the thick rubber to add durability which I'd rather have with these sort of things considering the abuse they get.

Not once has the overshoe got in the way of the flat pedals and hindering the shoe doing its thing and keeping my feet stable.
  • Briggo wrote:

They weren't released at the time of the question,

I realise that. I was just trying to help.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Briggo wrote:

They weren't released at the time of the question, anyway while I'm here I have to say the Altura Attack overshoes are extremely good.

Used them about 20+ times now and they're very warm, very water resistant (cant say waterproof, but never had wet feet yet, they beat Sealskinz socks hands down) and work with either flats or SPD shoes. Only minor negative is they are a bit heavy but you can tell why due to the thick rubber to add durability which I'd rather have with these sort of things considering the abuse they get.

Not once has the overshoe got in the way of the flat pedals and hindering the shoe doing its thing and keeping my feet stable.

Pleased to hear it. They're excellent aren't they. Yes, quite chunky but once on the bike I honestly forget I'm wearing them.
  • The Altura Attacks... there's 7-9 and 9-11... what is best for a 9?
  • Briggo
    I got 9-11 just gives you that extra wiggle room.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They don't exist. You'll destroy over shoes with flats.
    I've never seen mountain bike specific over shoes, they're all designed for either touring or road.

I just got a pair of Castelli diluvio all road overshoes from
    Evans .... fit over my shimano rp3 road shoes AND my shimano mt34 mtb shoes

But I use spd pedals on mtb and spdl on road bike NOT flat pedals

Size 10 uk shoes
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    A pair of flats that are insulated from 5.10.

https://www.scotbycycles.co.uk/footwear ... 2017-p5016
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Briggo wrote:
    I got 9-11 just gives you that extra wiggle room.

Word of warning: I got a 9-11 (I am a size 9 in my shoe), but it wasn't wide enough for my Impact high 5:10s.