Evans Cycles - Just sell me a flipping bike already!

paddywhacked
paddywhacked Posts: 36
edited November 2016 in MTB buying advice
Planned on getting back into Mountain Biking following a loooong time out. After much research and sticking to my budget I ordered a Norco Charger from Evans £599 (interest free for 12 months), it looked to tick most of the boxes I was hoping. I waited patiently and nothing happened, in fact it turned out they'd sold me a bike they didn't have. So, they asked if I liked anything else, well I thought, maybe something a little further up the price range (but with a discount for inconvenience). After more clicking through their pages I found this; https://www.evanscycles.com/mondraker-leader-27-5-2017-mountain-bike-EV289529 and we came to an agreeable price.

Long story short, turns out contrary to their listing stating 5-7 days this bike isn't available until Mid Nov. My question is, is it a bike worth waiting for or would one of these in-stock bikes be as good? I'll be mainly riding XC trails, some trickier terrain on my local tracks around Conwy Mountain. Plenty of climbing as well as some medium speed. downhill

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-cujo-3-2017-mountain-bike-EV280354

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-trail-3-2017-mountain-bike-EV284080

https://www.evanscycles.com/scott-scale-760-2016-mountain-bike-EV253331

Thanks, Paddy

Comments

• To be honest, I would start looking elsewhere if that is the standard of service they are offering.
    Do you have any other shops near to you?
    (I should qualify it by admitting that I'm not a big fan of theirs. The shop closest to me has little to no stock and the staff aren't very helpful.)
    The Norco you were originally looking at has a better spec than the Mondraker. Might be tempted by the Scott in that price bracket.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Thanks, the Norco was decent. You could be right. Might be time to take my business elsewhere.
    To be honest, I would start looking elsewhere if that is the standard of service they are offering.
    (I should qualify it by admitting that I'm not a big fan of theirs. The shop closest to me has little to no stock and the staff aren't very helpful.)
    The Norco you were originally looking at has a better spec than the Mondraker. Might be tempted by the Scott in that price bracket.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Evans is the new Halfords, too many stores with poor service giving the rest a bad name.

My local is good, but then as one of the senior staff is a riding buddy I guess it helps!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Evans have agreed to the sell me the Scott for £599.00 due to inconvenience of being unable to supply 2 previous bikes. Thankfully, this one is in stock and is being despatched today. Think I've done well on the deal.
    To be honest, I would start looking elsewhere if that is the standard of service they are offering.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Have they got the same bike but further up in the range - better groupset or fork? Tell them if they can't supply the one you asked for they give you the next up in the range
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Evans have agreed to the sell me the Scott for £599.00 due to inconvenience of being unable to supply 2 previous bikes. Thankfully, this one is in stock and is being despatched today. Think I've done well on the deal.

I hope you are happy to compromise with a different bike as I am not sure I would personally. Just make sure you are happy and if not send it straight back.
  • They have a decent returns policy, so I'll make sure all's well. Thanks.
    Evans have agreed to the sell me the Scott for £599.00 due to inconvenience of being unable to supply 2 previous bikes. Thankfully, this one is in stock and is being despatched today. Think I've done well on the deal.

I hope you are happy to compromise with a different bike as I am not sure I would personally. Just make sure you are happy and if not send it straight back.
  • Wow thought I was going mad saw the exact same post on MBR.