Rooney on the bench tomorrow

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited October 2016 in The cake stop
Good on Southgate, Rooney is a waste of space nowadays. Plus, how anyone can think of someone like him as a good captain is laughable.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Bit harsh - I'd have him in the squad though not as a holding midfielder. What gets me is the stick he attracts - he's always given his best and over his career his international performances have been far better than the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and others who were never written off as many times as Rooney has been.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Bit harsh - I'd have him in the squad though not as a holding midfielder. What gets me is the stick he attracts - he's always given his best and over his career his international performances have been far better than the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and others who were never written off as many times as Rooney has been.

Definitely don't agree with that, especially with regards to goals at summer tournaments. His record is dreadful for a supposed top international striker.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    He's never been an out and out striker though has he - even when he's been played up front he's always been as much of a creator as a goalscorer. His goals record in competitive games is good anyway - not so good in tournaments but then which England players have excelled in tournaments - you still have to qualify for them and Rooney has done a lot to ensure that happened.

He's been unlucky with injuries meaning very often he's been rushed back to play in tournaments when he wasn't fit which is probably one factor which colours the judgement of some fans.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]