D1 Licence/PCV etc

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
edited October 2016 in The cake stop
Hi Guys

Has anyone done this recently? I'm hoping to get a job in the Alps over the winter driving transfers and I need to get one.

There doesnt seem to be a lot in the way of D1 specific mock theory tests online and such. A lot of them have a lot of HGV questions (lhow to load up a lorry etc), which are not at all applicable to a minibus - or even bus - Do I have to learn all that?

In, the mean time, is there anything I can do to help for the practical tests?

Any advice very welcome. I'm trying to do as much of it as possible by myself as the courses cost an arm and a leg!

thanks in advance

David
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    I did mine last year, for the same reason as you - driving a minibus etc. abroad, for hire or reward.

The exams are pretty straightforward as long as you've read the course material, which is all in "The Offical DVSA Guide to Driving Buses and Coaches" and "The Official DVSA Theory Test for Drivers of Large Vehicles".

You don't need to learn all the goods vehicle stuff like loading etc. but that is quite clear in the two books because there is either a coach or a HGV symbol (or both) next to each section of the book.

You also have to do the hazard perception test, for which there is a practice DVD available from the DVSA.

For the actual driving test you need an appropriate vehicle. I did a 2 day course plus the test day with the mini-coach and instructor.

Once you've passed the tests (all of them) you need a Driver Qualification Card which you can get by either doing the module 4 test (a practical test where you show the examiner how you do your daily checks, etc.) or you do 35 hours classroom instruction. The difference is, the test is a pass/fail whereas the 35 hours gets you the card for attendance.

All good fun!
  • ddraver
    Cheers, Lucan

The theory questions make much more sense after I picked up the book today. It's a relief as the only questions I was really failing on mock tests were the ones which I can now see are for Lorries only (what knot would you use to tie down XYZ type questions)

If you can pass the theory questions ok do you think you need to worry about the Driver Qualification card test or is it another case of it mostly being simple save a few bits of detail which you need to have read up?
    - @ddraver
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Five stages to getting your license:

Provisional entitlement, which you probably don't already have. You can check it online
    through some DVSA website. To apply for your prov you will need a medical and to fill out a form or two. A driving school will usually offer to do this for you but it's simple enough and will save you nearly half the cost, although may take a little longer. My employer (I'm a bus driver) has some lenience with DVSA and gets their stuff back inside a week generally rather than the 3-4 weeks usually quoted. The medical will likely be at your own expense - my GP charges 85 quid but a driving school may have someone cheaper. This is usually repeated every five years.

Theory test:
    100q's on general road use with 20 or so specific to driving a bus. Also hazard perception which is a series of clips in which you identify the hazard. The clips are from the same library as for the car or bike test so if you did either of these you're golden.

Practical test:
    Quite literally a driving assessment in a relevant category vehicle. There'll be a reversing manoeuvre, often completed off road. The examiner will also ask you questions before you set off about vehicle loading and stuff

DQC test is two parts, much like above-
    one part is case studies which is 50 q's based around drivers hours, general rules and regs and scenarios. It is much more specific to driving a bus than the theory test, which is mostly how to use a road.

Second part is a walkaround of a vehicle where you will explain and demonstrate certain scenarios to the examiner involving things such as your daily vehicle checks, how to search your vehicle at a border crossing, evacuation procedures and such like.

AFAIK there is no option to train for 35 hours to attain this any more. That was for drivers who already had their PCV entitlement before 2008 and trained retrospectively for their DQC card.

Your DQC entitlement is valid for five years, by the end of which you must have completed 5 days (7hrs per day making 35 hrs) CPC training to maintain your entitlement. These can be done as a block of 5, or one day per year etc as long as they're complete before the expiry date on your card.

If you can afford it I'd do full category D, it won't cost a lot more that just the D1 overall.

Once you've done all of this you may need to apply for a tachograph card too - the thing which records all of your driving hours and rest periods. I think they're 40 quid but I don't actually need one in my role. Your employer will know if you need it though. it's probably worth having, but again needs to be replaced every 5 (?) years.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • ddraver
    That's great Mouth. My Licence is back from the DVLA already (sent in last Monday) so I'm booking the theory tests as we speak. Still waiting for the tacho card but I can't see how I need that as I ll be in Switzerland who change everything to swiss crap anyway (yay Brexit! :roll:)

I hear you about doing the full D but I only need the D1 and I need it ASAP so I need to keep my current 100% record in motoring tests in tact as I barely have time for any do-overs.

I ve driven vans a bit so I'm fairly confident about the practical test right up to the manouvers, which I need to find a way to practice, and the DQC practical bit
    - @ddraver
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Switzerland operate under the same rules regarding DQC and tacho as far as I know. As for practicing manouveres, no driving school will let you use their vehicle without a minimum amount of hours for practice anyway, unless you're loaning a vehicle from someone.

DVSA Derek is very, very keen on stuff like observation and signalling. My stance is to make it very obvious you're having a look in the o/s mirror for example by turning your head, regardless of whether you can see it just by shifting your eyes, and make sure you cancel those signals. A good tip is to get in the habit of doing this or at least checking they've self-cancelled as soon as the wheel is straight again.

Make sure you're very on point with the walk around questions too. Slightest thing missing will leave you failing. Won't comment how, but I happened across a copy of the questions before the test.................
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • lucan2
    If you passed your car/bike test before they brought in the hazard perception test, it's worth getting hold of the DVD to practice on. I failed mine the first time, not because I missed seeing the hazards, but because I saw them too early! They use a sliding scale (5,4,3,2,1) to score you for each hazard. Hit the mouse button as soon as the hazard appears should score you 5 and the longer you wait to hit the button scores less. I was a highly trained pursuit driver in my previous career and scored zero on quite a few during the test and there's no appeal. When I re-did the test I pressed the button once when I saw the hazard and then again a second or so later and sailed through the test.

I've got a spare hazard perception DVD if you need one.
  • ddraver
    Thanks bud, but I just literallyt bought one. Once I'd read up on how they worked I got 5/5 on the 2 online ones I could find but yeah, I ll do a proper job before I go down on thursday for the test.

The best tip, as you said, was click a few times as you see it develop, don't just click once
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Edit - man you make a good point! That's really not so good eh?
    - @ddraver
  • lucan2
    ddraver wrote:
    Thanks bud, but I just literallyt bought one. Once I'd read up on how they worked I got 5/5 on the 2 online ones I could find but yeah, I ll do a proper job before I go down on thursday for the test.

The best tip, as you said, was click a few times as you see it develop, don't just click once

But don't click too much or you can get a 'fail' on that question. Two or three was OK for me though.