Is 105 Cassette compatible with Tiagra derailleur

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited September 2016 in Road beginners
Just had to replace my worn chain and cassette

My 2013 Trek 1.5 came with a 10 speed 30-12 Tiagra cassette and the shifting was really very nice - smooth and quick

LBS has replaced with a 105 10 speed 28-11 cassette and the shifting is much slower (especially shifting down to lower gears/bigger sprockets). There is like a small delay and then a shift that doesn't sound/feel that clean - kinda clunky

I think the rear mech is set up properly as the shift does happen, just not as lovely as it used to be with the old cassette

Does this simply mean some fine tuning is still required or is there a genuine compatibility issue with a 105 cassette and a Tiagra derailleur?

The new cassette was also fitted to a new wheel (Fulcrum Quattro), but I don't think that fact should have a bearing on the issue?

thanks for any thoughts

Comments

• mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    They are compatible. It simply means to you need to index your rear gears. Have a look on YouTube on how to 'Index gears' and follow the directions, its very very simple even for a complete novice.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    should work fine, Did they change the chain as well, if its an old worn chain that's possibly a couple of links too long now then it "might" slow things down

Other than that it could just need a bit of adjusting
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Both 10 speed cassettes have the same spacing so they should behave the same.

Have they definitely fitted a 10 speed chain??

The Tiagra 10 speed cassette has a built in spacer but the 10 speed 105 needs a separate spacer (should come in the box with the cassette). LBS should know this though. And I think another spacer is also needed for the Fulcrums??
    -But if a spacer is missing I'd expect the sprockets to be laterally loose.

Has the gear cable ever been replaced? I only ask because my 10 speed 105 eats the inner cable just inside the shifter every couple of years, and the first sign is sluggish and vague shifting, especially moving to a smaller sprocket
  • thanks all so far

not sure if chain is 10 speed as well - does that make a difference? I would hope LBS were competent enough to know this if yes

gear cable was replaced as it happens 2 weeks ago as snapped (when still had the Tiagra cassette)...so that cant be the cause

So maybe just fine adjustment is all it needs after all? But I was less sure of this as the changes do happen just after a delay and with a big "clonk"...i.e. not so much like the chain is skipping per se
  • markiegrim wrote:
    Just had to replace my worn chain and cassette

My 2013 Trek 1.5 came with a 10 speed 30-12 Tiagra cassette and the shifting was really very nice - smooth and quick

LBS has replaced with a 105 10 speed 28-11 cassette and the shifting is much slower (especially shifting down to lower gears/bigger sprockets). There is like a small delay and then a shift that doesn't sound/feel that clean - kinda clunky

I think the rear mech is set up properly as the shift does happen, just not as lovely as it used to be with the old cassette

Does this simply mean some fine tuning is still required or is there a genuine compatibility issue with a 105 cassette and a Tiagra derailleur?

The new cassette was also fitted to a new wheel (Fulcrum Quattro), but I don't think that fact should have a bearing on the issue?

thanks for any thoughts

Take it back to them and tell them to tune it properly. Or save yourself the trip and watch GCN's video on it, 5 minute job.
  • Hi all,

I've got a new set of wheels (11 spd) coming in and I've bought a new 105 5700 cassette to fit onto the wheels.

My current bike is using Tiagra 4700. When I put the
    new cassette onto the new wheels, do I have to put 2 spacers or 1?

Thanks.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    cyclozone wrote:
    Hi all,

I've got a new set of wheels (11 spd) coming in and I've bought a new 105 5700 cassette to fit onto the wheels.

My current bike is using Tiagra 4700. When I put the
    new cassette onto the new wheels, do I have to put 2 spacers or 1?

Thanks.

The 1.85 mm one that comes with the wheels plus the 1mm one that comes with the cassette
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Much appreciated, thanks.