Easiest clipless release?

2»

Comments

• jpower
    jpower Posts: 554
    Alex99 wrote:
    jpower wrote:
    Long story... Tried clipless years ago and never got on wasn't so much not getting use to but more that I never felt confident. Back to flats for a couple of years and finally felt I need to make that move again.

Got some Bont Riots, love them really comfortable for my foot and some shim 105 SPD-SL being using them and only one embrassing moment thus far, however I just don't feel confident and am apprehensive about going out riding compared to I couldn't wait for my next ride, I'm sure I've even passed on some rides just because of the hang up I have with clipless. Sad I know.

I've made good speed gains and I'd like to keep them, I'm considering getting speedplay ultra light action mainly due to them being made out as easy to clip in and out. To be honest it's the clipping out that concerns me the most. Oh yes I do have the 105's set to the lowest tension.

Is there any truth that the UL are very easy to clip out? or is this just me wasting more money?

I've seen a few people that just struggle with the heel outward flick move. Not sure why, but some just do. 105 SPD-SLs aren't bad for getting out of... I have some myself. Have you slackened the release spring adjuster off? That might help. Apart from that, just practice. Do it constantly until your leg remembers for you.

Yeap tension set to lowest, its more in my head I am sure.
  • jpower
    UPDATE - Me and my bike shop are over, after 1 week they still had not serviced my bike, even after a chase up call, went and picked up my bike, will switch to my local or really should just learn myself.

Enough of that, pedals switched and listed in the classified, no time for a real ride, so little practice in the garage and then out onto the roads. They felt really good, was able to clip in easy very little look down, just quick glance and the best news clip out was very easy just twisting past float with very little pressure needed, so very smooth bike was moving on me like before. Lots of stops and starts and practice on the move and felt pretty good, true test yet to come, but initial impressions are really positive, and 100% if I can't use these there is no help for me. Even after just a test run I'd go so far as to say that I may even be able to stop on a hill and restart, won't test that theory, however hope is alive again.

Ordered some covers from a far away place, will need them for sure, slippery suckers to walk on.
  • jpower
    Finally out on first proper ride today, and it's happy days again and no anxiety. These were so easy to clip in and out, so could confident very quick, could unclip at the last when required, the float which there is alot was good to me as it made me feel less trapped, on the negative the float is a little off putting when getting out the saddle on a climb. Did start getting some numbness in the toes but I have always had this issue so wouldn't put it down to the pedals.

I'd say great for beginners, the more experienced may want a stronger connection, maybe I will one day, but for now I will just get used to clipless riding, I'm sure I will fall but thats all good.

THANKS ALL.
  • jpower
    After a couple more rides, just want to say the happiness continues.

I would seriously recommend these to a newbies or someone that does not get on with other types of clips, its very very easy and can build your confidence up real quick.

I am able to unclip in almost any pedal position which I really like, have the confidence now to unclip late and quickly if I need too, albeit I will try do things ahead of time, but always reassuring to know.

Right we are done here.
  • jpower
    jpower wrote:
    After a couple more rides, just want to say the happiness continues.

I would seriously recommend these to a newbies or someone that does not get on with other types of clips, its very very easy and can build your confidence up real quick.

I am able to unclip in almost any pedal position which I really like, have the confidence now to unclip late and quickly if I need too, albeit I will try do things ahead of time, but always reassuring to know.

Right we are done here.
    Still over the moon, those nerves are history, love them.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Just to summarise - you couldn't get on with SL'S - but can with speedplay ?

To me bog standard spd is the easiest - SL are fine - apart from very steep hill starts - I used spd on my commutter\winter bike SL on best road bike.
  • jpower
    kingrollo wrote:
    Just to summarise - you couldn't get on with SL'S - but can with speedplay ?
    Exactly correct, note this is speedplay ultra light action, very little pressure to release them, never unclipped accidentally, and the stamp in motion is just more natural to me.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    As many others have already said... Egg beaters
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.