A bit off topic but i really do not like John Craven

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    I like Gary Imlach.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    The_Boy wrote:
    I have no idea what iPhone add you are talking about but am disappointed that Maya Angelou gave permission for her poem to be used for such commercial purposes. I always thought she was sort of against that kind of thing.

She's also sort of dead, isn't she? So presumably will be whoever owns copyright to the sound recording who is the devil.

Well yes. Still sad though.

Very. Just making sure the hate is properly directed. Angelou's remains one of the most important voices of the 20th century, regardless of it being coopted by silly apple adverts.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    I have no idea what iPhone add you are talking about but am disappointed that Maya Angelou gave permission for her poem to be used for such commercial purposes. I always thought she was sort of against that kind of thing.

She's also sort of dead, isn't she? So presumably will be whoever owns copyright to the sound recording who is the is the devil

New iPhone feature maybe...

iRessurect?

Yeah, but it was available on Linux years ago. And it's better on Linux cos it's open source, so you can make it do exactly what you want. Or you could if it ever worked.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Joelsim wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

She's also sort of dead, isn't she? So presumably will be whoever owns copyright to the sound recording who is the devil.

Well yes. Still sad though.

It's on in every ad break on ES during the live Vuelta stages.

We have Dutch adverts.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    This MAY top trumps Boar Man.

A real live deer!

-1_zpszdpkl2s6.jpg

Knocked the guy off but he is OK. No word on the deer.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Nah, it needs to be stuffed and under the arm of some geezer in his pants. :-)
  • above_the_cows
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Nah, it needs to be stuffed and under the arm of some geezer in his pants. :-)

This is why Boar Man cannot be beaten.
  • FocusZing wrote:
    I like Ellie Harrison.
    +1

And I love Countryfile.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    RichN95 wrote:
    nasa-moon-landing-site-photos.jpg
    "Parked"!? - it's 240,000 miles from the nearest curb, that's the worst parking I've ever seen!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I wonder if there is an intergalactic bike race? quite likely given the size of the universe. The rules must be difficult? Genes, bike regulations, atmospheres, gravity, size...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Helen Skelton has a voice? Who knew?! Although with such a fine pair of lungs it's hardly a surprise.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Helen Skelton has a voice? Who knew?! Although with such a fine pair of lungs it's hardly a surprise.

Dirty boy
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    The surname Craven is of English locational origin from the district of Craven in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The placename is recorded as "Crave" in the Domesday Book of 1086, and probably derives from the Welsh "craf" meaning garlic.

If I'd put this in the "Unusual facts about pro-cyclists" thread nobody would have believed me.
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12720773
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • So, this thread. Wut?

Was the original intent a declaration of antipathy for that darling of social media, Dan Craven?
  • above_the_cows
    johncraven.jpg
  • For me Countryfile casual is a thing.

I like to rock a nice jumper over a checked shirt with chinos on work dress down days.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    For me Countryfile casual is a thing.

I like to rock a nice jumper over a checked shirt with chinos on work dress down days.

Dude, what's wrong with jeans and a t-shirt...

PS. I have no clue what this thread is about.
  • above_the_cows
    dish_dash wrote:
    I have no clue what this thread is about.

That's the point. I think...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    dish_dash wrote:

I assumed it was related to one of those stupid clickbait ads down there \/
  • above_the_cows
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

A bit off topic but i really like my adblocker. :D
  • above_the_cows
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

A bit off topic but i really like my **Nobody likes ads but they pay for the site so please have the class not to whine about them**. :D

Really? You can't write a.d.b.l.o.c.k.e.r.
  • The_Boy
    Pihole. #winning
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

A bit off topic but i really like my **Nobody likes ads but they pay for the site so please have the class not to whine about them**. :D

Really? You can't write a.d.b.l.o.c.k.e.r.

The stupid thing is those "promoted stories" aren't proper adverts, it's just links to sh!tty articles on buggy, crashy websites that are overloaded with junk (such as the Express in this case :) )

If it was like the top banner advert (which is usually an advert for some bike shop or other product for me) I'd have some sympathy.
  • The_Boy
    On the subject of dressing down, in my only suit-based job a typical Friday would see me wearing something along the lines of:

Blu patient DMs, cammo combats cut off at the knees to form a pair of shorts, whatever T-shirt o had worn out the night before, gin (that had been spilled on said T-shirt).

The guy at the desk next to me had an interpretation more in line with the countryside casual described up-thread.
  • above_the_cows
    This is why working at a university is great. You can pretty much wear what you like.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    This is why working at a university is great. You can pretty much wear what you like.
    I've worked in University's since 1998, but when I started working at my current University 10 years ago, I asked my then boss if there was a dress code, he replied "yeah, scruffy" and nobody's told me any different since.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I've worked in University's since 1998, but when I started working at my current University 10 years ago, I asked my then boss if there was a dress code, he replied "yeah, scruffy" and nobody's told me any different since.

People don't work in universities do they?
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    dish_dash wrote:

Dude, what's wrong with jeans and a t-shirt...

He might not be in his twenties, fixing his bike or off to walk the dog ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    hypster wrote:
    [

People don't work in universities do they?
    Not even to change a light bulb or a fuse.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972