groupset upgrade

4768adrian
4768adrian Posts: 25
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Hello all,
Looking for a little advice. Got a Specialized Roubaix with a shimano tiagra groupset, and an older specialized allez. Was going to use the allez through the winter months and was going to upgrade the groupset to a tiagra set, like the Roubaix. Have been checking and can get a Shimano 105 groupset for £50 more than the tiagra, so would it be worth getting this and putting on the Roubaix, and using the tiagra set from that bike and putting it on the Allez. Also how much would I expect to pay a bike shop to do the work? Just weighing up the worth moneywise.
Cheers Ady

Comments

• msaegert
    msaegert Posts: 12
    I guess it's all relative when talking about whether it's worth it. Shimano 105 has some benefits (lighter, 11sp vs 10sp) but there will be a decent cost to switching them over, you're probably looking at over £100 in cost at a guess but best to call up and ask them. IMO probably not enough difference that it would be worth spending the extra cash.
  • sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    I've just literally upgraded from tiagra to 5800 105 on my allez yesterday. I find it far better but my tiagra was the old groupset not the newest version of tiagra. I fitted it myself but I spoke to a local bike shop - leisure lakes who offered to fit for free if i bought it from them. You could have the 105 fitted and you try and fit the tiagra set on your allez?
  • Cheers for the replies. Think I may just go with the Allez upgrade if the 105 and tiagra aren't to different. Sirmol, mine is the new version of Tiagra, apparently much improved from before.