Why we dislike Cav

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    I didn't like Cav when he was dominant, but I like him now that he is no longer dominant... but that is true for every cyclist you are not a fan of... I might even get to like Froome one day, just as I got to like Contador...

I must admit similar patterns in my own perceptions.
    Is that because when the dominance ends, they seemingly exhibit human frailties and we somehow connect with that?

Could be cos they move to underdog status to an extent and everyone loves an underdog.

Is this a British thing?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pinno wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    I didn't like Cav when he was dominant, but I like him now that he is no longer dominant... but that is true for every cyclist you are not a fan of... I might even get to like Froome one day, just as I got to like Contador...

Is that because when the dominance ends, they seemingly exhibit human frailties and we somehow connect with that?

Could be cos they move to underdog status to an extent and everyone loves an underdog.

Is this a British thing?

Maybe? I thought rooting for the underdog was a pretty common human reaction. David and Goliath and all that. Maybe it's just British people who do it.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,615
    Pinno wrote:
    Is this a British thing?
    Nah mate, Winners every time.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    orraloon wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Is this a British thing?
    You just cannot dislike Gino Bartali

Most of the dislike Cavendish people seem to me to have never Raced on a bike or athletics so,
    Never mind the ass-hole point of view but look at the other end and the face to show the effort that is needed.
    Then your judgement seems to be when a dickhead shoves a mike up his nose while the poor sod is still trying to recover from the efforts.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    he's got a lot of characteristics that lots of people like. he's a winner ( though that has diluted a bit in the recent past), he wears his heart on his sleeve, and he is someone that has achieved an awful lot. he seems dedicated to his sport and I think will become the guy with the most tour stages which in itself would be pretty miraculous.

I think he is absolutely not just great, but an all time great.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Is this a British thing?

Maybe? I thought rooting for the underdog was a pretty common human reaction. David and Goliath and all that. Maybe it's just British people who do it.

Nope. I hugely respect him for what he's achieved, but sometimes the red mist descends and he hurts people. Whether it's intentional or not isn't the issue, he needs to show a bit more respect for others. It's the same as someone like Roy Keane, top player but a bit of a dick at times.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    The bigger issue here is that my deep loathing of Valverde seems to have transformed into a grudging respect

if anyone has a cure for this please let me know
  • joelsim
    Difficult not to respect Valverde for what he's achieved. A definite candidate for best rider of his generation.
  • bobmcstuff
    Joelsim wrote:
    Difficult not to respect Valverde for what he's achieved. A definite candidate for best rider of his generation.

Still the Operacion Puerto issue though.
  • Crozza wrote:
    The bigger issue here is that my deep loathing of Valverde seems to have transformed into a grudging respect

I too find myself conflicted on this.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • jimnm
    jimnm Posts: 29
    All the top riders deserve respect including Mark Cavendish. They have earned it for being dedicated and for putting in hours of hard training to be able to compete with the best in the world. I didn't realise Cav had mental issues, but don't we all to some degree ;)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Joelsim wrote:
    Doper. Zero respect for him.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • pinno
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

If we assume that he has been clean ever since and probably scrutinised to the hilt, you have to hand it to him. 36 years old and world No.1 last year.
    In any given race that he wins, I very much doubt that he was the strongest but he plays his strengths so well. My respect for him has gone up in the face of working for Quintana so hard and so selflessly in the Tour at the expense of perhaps a podium.
    There is a part of me that has huge admiration for the Super Domestiques - From Duclos-Lassalle to Fagnini to Bontempi to Froome too.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Crozza wrote:

This is clearly catching, I too have gone from disliking the guy to respecting him and actually enjoying watching him race.
  • joelsim
    Daz555 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Doper. Zero respect for him.

Do you feel the same about Cancellara?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,202
    Crozza wrote:

This is clearly catching, I too have gone from disliking the guy to respecting him and actually enjoying watching him race.

I'm out of here before I get infected then... Anyone but Valverde.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,202
    deejay wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Is this a British thing?
    You just cannot dislike Gino Bartali

Most of the dislike Cavendish people seem to me to have never Raced on a bike or athletics so,
    Never mind the ass-hole point of view but look at the other end and the face to show the effort that is needed.
    Then your judgement seems to be when a dickhead shoves a mike up his nose while the poor sod is still trying to recover from the efforts.

I'm not sure what most of this means, and I have no idea how Bartali got into the converstaion, BUT...

I agree: Bartali, absolute hero, proper racer, true champion.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I'm riding his sportive on Sunday, should I take a print out of these pages?
  • bobmcstuff
    Pinno wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

If we assume that he has been clean ever since and probably scrutinised to the hilt, you have to hand it to him. 36 years old and world No.1 last year.
    In any given race that he wins, I very much doubt that he was the strongest but he plays his strengths so well. My respect for him has gone up in the face of working for Quintana so hard and so selflessly in the Tour at the expense of perhaps a podium.
    There is a part of me that has huge admiration for the Super Domestiques - From Duclos-Lassalle to Fagnini to Bontempi to Froome too.
    Yes I was impressed by his work for Quintana. He really seemed to do it properly (on the whole) despite his reputation for being selfish.

He's a good rider for sure but his way of winning isn't always the most exciting (compared to say Nibali or Contador...)
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Well, I admit to being one of those people who gets a little teary when something bad or good happens to people I like in sport, or something extraordinary happens. I cried when Yusra Mardini won her heat for example. Apparently according to some that makes me worthy of derision. Personally I think it makes me human.

I'm with you on this, I get very emotional isn't that the point? Love Cav, especially his impulsiveness and hot headedness. Reminds me of my boy.
  • joelsim
    mm1 wrote:
    Well, I admit to being one of those people who gets a little teary when something bad or good happens to people I like in sport, or something extraordinary happens. I cried when Yusra Mardini won her heat for example. Apparently according to some that makes me worthy of derision. Personally I think it makes me human.

I'm with you on this, I get very emotional isn't that the point? Love Cav, especially his impulsiveness and hot headedness. Reminds me of my boy.

WATTS did top 5 angry sprints. Guess who appeared in 4 of them?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    Joelsim wrote:

Robbie Hunter?
  • joelsim
    andyp wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Robbie Hunter?

I'll give you a clue. He's a super-angry little man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    Definitely Robbie Hunter then.
  • joelsim
    andyp wrote:
    Definitely Robbie Hunter then.

He can also be super-happy.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mcewen?
  • pinno
    Not Wilfred Nelisen? Sorry, you did say 'angry' not stupid.
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,155
    Joelsim wrote:

I can't find this video, and really want to see it, so may be missing some irony/sarcasm, but I'm expecting Bouhanni
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Why are people still talking about Rene Hasselbacher?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

I can't find this video, and really want to see it, so may be missing some irony/sarcasm, but I'm expecting Bouhanni

Final clue.

He's partial to a page 3 girl.