Classification changes on final day?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited July 2016 in Pro race
I know yellow isn't challenged in the final Sunday, but is there any reason why Yates etc can't try to pick up enough seconds to shuffle around the podium spots tomorrow?
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    edited July 2016
    The reason that the sprinters' teams want the stage win, so they will chase that rider down. Add in the teams of the GC riders' teams chasing too and the possibility of a climber holding off several teams on a wide open boulevard is virtually nil. It's rare for a breakaway to win the stage anyway.

in 2005 Vinokourov moved up from 6th to 5th by winning the stage and grabbing bonus seconds (the stage times themselves had been neutralised due to rain). The last time the Yellow Jersey itself was challenged was 1979. That was a longer hillier stage though. Zoetemelk (2nd) attacked Hinault (1st) and they rode away together. Hinault won the sprint, 2.18 ahead of the peloton.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Unlikely I know. But not against some unwritten code of conduct then?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    larkim wrote:
    Unlikely I know. But not against some unwritten code of conduct then?
    No (See my edit). But I doubt you'd win many friends trying.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Off topic slightly but was there not a jersey change between Valverde and Rodriquez on the last day at the Vuelta in 2015? And it caused a bit of a stink?
  • RichN95.
    Off topic slightly but was there not a jersey change between Valverde and Rodriquez on the last day at the Vuelta in 2015? And it caused a bit of a stink?
    That was for the points jersey - I don't know the circumstances, but he took it on the bonus sprints. I think Rodriguez may have had a mechanical at a bad time.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Seems a bit of a wasted day to me, attack until the finish its a race name its not the 1800s anymore
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Remind me what cycle races we had in the 1800s again?

There was that last TT into Paris that lemond took the yellow jersey off Fignon. What a stage that was.

But procession stage tomorrow. If you couldn't take the jersey over the first three weeks then you've missed the chance. It's going to stay together.
  • RichN95.
    itboffin wrote:
    Seems a bit of a wasted day to me, attack until the finish its a race name its not the 1800s anymore
    It's just another sprint stage. Just like all the other sprint stages.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,679
    cougie wrote:

Liege-Bastogne-Liege
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    cougie wrote:

Liege-Bastogne-Liege

LOL. Ok I admit that would be a bit pants if you weren't allowed to attack on the last day of LBL.....
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Supposing Quintana got a puncture maybe 1km from the finish and Yates rolled over the line 22 seconds ahead of him?
  • RichN95.
    hypster wrote:
    Supposing Quintana got a puncture maybe 1km from the finish and Yates rolled over the line 22 seconds ahead of him?
    The 3km rule would apply. However, if it was 4km from the finish, then Yates gets on the podium.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    hypster wrote:

3km rules = same time
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    hypster wrote:

3k rule
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Oh, I thought the 3km rule only applied to crashes not mechanicals otherwise I would have suggested 3.1km. I'm guessing that far out a team mate would probably give him a wheel and the team might be able to pace him close enough to save 20 seconds. Yatesy will probably be at the back of the peloton anyway.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    RichN95 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    It's just another sprint stage. Just like all the other sprint stages.

Plus, and I think this is important, it's the sprint stage. Not working to create a bunch sprint implies thatyou think your sprinter is a worthless doofus and that even with absolutely nothing to do tomorrow you still can't be bothered. There's also bugger all to frustrate a chase, so a failure to do so is likely to result in a chat with the DS (who has hired the bloke you think is a doofus) and tea, no biscuits.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,679
    cougie wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Liege-Bastogne-Liege

LOL. Ok I admit that would be a bit pants if you weren't allowed to attack on the last day of LBL.....

Yup.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,645
    What would happen if any of the GC guys crash and break their collarbone a la Lars Bak (and was it Sonny Colbrelli) in the Giro?
  • RichN95.
    Well OP, there was a demonstration for you. The peloton split, Rodriguez lost 31 seconds, so he dropped from 7th to 10th.

Also Froome's overall lead was cut to 2.52 due to him hanging around at the back and losing 1.16

Edit: And now they've changed them back due to the 3km rule.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I can't remember the specifics, but wasn't there one year where Vino went off the front in Paris and picked up enough seconds to jump a place or two on GC (possibly onto the podium)? Must've been in the early 2000's.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    squired wrote:
    I can't remember the specifics, but wasn't there one year where Vino went off the front in Paris and picked up enough seconds to jump a place or two on GC (possibly onto the podium)? Must've been in the early 2000's.

2005. He won the stage after mugging McGee and got enough bonus seconds to move from 6th to 5th at the expense of Leipheimer. Bottle was miffed because earlier on in the stage the commissaires had indicated that bonus seconds would not be awarded.

Like all other Vino wins it makes you feel dirty just watching it.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.