TDF 16 Rest Day 2

dish_dash
dish_dash Posts: 5,560
edited July 2016 in Pro race
Alright folks, I've had two weeks of holiday with limited connectivity. What have I missed?

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Same but as far as I can make out...

*CAV!
    *GCboredom
    * #MovistarFail
    *Bertie doesnt Bounce like he used to
    *Froome learnt to descend
    *Dutch revival continues
    *French Revival continues to splutter
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Expected challenge to Froome hasn't materialised, Quintana has been a bit rubbish. I think the first week was perhaps deliberately not that exciting in terms of route because it overlapped the Euros.

Cavendish has won 4 stages so far. Mollema is riding well which I think is a pleasant surprise for most people?

Sky have been mixing up their usual playbook a bit thei year, Froome attacked on a descent to win a stage. He also went clear with Peter Sagan (and G and Bodnar) on a flat windy stage to take another few seconds and wind up the sprinters, which I don't think anyone was expecting.

The Ventoux stage got shortened due to high winds which compressed all the fans into a smaller area. That brought a moto to a halt, Porte, Mollema and Froome went flying into the back of it and then Froome ended up running up the mountain as another moto had run over his bike, snapping the seatstay (the bike was later taken to be checked for a motor. Speaking of which the commissaires have been using heat cameras this Tour as well as their magnetometers). Stage results were then neutralised which caused lots of people to get their knickers well and truly twisted.

Steve Cummings won a stage from a long way out (50k?) from the remains of a break that included Nibali so that was good.

Basically the yellow jersey hasn't really been a competition but there's been some good moments and the lower podium spots are looking quite open.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Interesting... not sure it sounds like I've missed much apart from some Ventoux drama and great Qhubeka results. Am disappointed in Quintana, I was expecting more. Let's see if he does any more over the next couple of days...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Cavendish quitting today it appears
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,633
    The most competitive jersey has been the polka dot which is currently held by Majka. Adam Yates has done well and is in white.

The peloton has stopped for tea and biscuits on most days although yesterday was quite nippy - mainly because Tony Martin was in the break.

The great hope is that there will be some exciting GC action for the places, but Yates and Mollema are happy where they are, and I think only Porte will really threaten them. Porte suffered an unfortunate mechanical on one stage.
  • TheBigBean
    iainf72 wrote:

Odd that he bothered collecting points yesterday then.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    It's been a reasonable highlights watch - but if I'd watched every stage I'd be a bit miffed.
  • TheBigBean
    Oh, and Gerrans tooks out the Sky team (except Froome) with 30km to go on the Ventoux stage. Cancellara and Froome then managed to neutralise the stage by taking natural breaks which allowed the Sky team to get back on. This was mostly overlooked given the subsequent mess, but had a number of people grumbling.
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    Decent Tour thus far, for me: nice mix of racing and chaos even if the GC's been a bit stale.

Always good to see class Yellow Jersey wearers in the first week (Cav, Sagan, GVA).

Really close sprint stages.

Although Froome is odds-on to retain I don't think he looks as imperious as the 2013 or 2015 vintage (at least uphill and in the TTs). Nairo looks a bit cooked but I think there's still hope for the final week if Mollema, Yates, Valverde, Porte/TJVG have got anything to offer. That's a big if, mind you...

No French stage winner yet. A quick glance suggests they've not had a stage winner in only 2 editions: 1926 and 1999.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    The GC battle in gifs & pics

Tour%2BTidbit%2Bdu%2BJour%2B-%2BStage%2B8%2B-%2BChris%2BFroome%2BDescends.gif

CORVOS_00026822-1281.jpg

surso821l4uu3wmlvsxr.gif

WATSON_00004672-014.jpg
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    gettyimages_577067514_670.jpg
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Sagan has been Sagan. Incredibly consistent.

Paraphrasing Friebe, Quintana might attack on the last climb of the final day in the mountains.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Given that Cav wasn't expected to do much on this tour, his 4 stage wins are a pleasant surprise. Another tour like this could see him take the all time record. Contador going out so soon took a bit of excitement out of it, but Froome has taken the peleton by surprise more than once.

Three photo finishes as well. The sprints have been more fun than the current points list suggests.
  • manic_esso
    manic_esso Posts: 92
    One other item of note - it broke the record for the number of days with no abandon / DNS (8)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bdie8BUEVw

I know this from 2013 but its still good......
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Who cares about what Dish Dash missed...I'm off to the Alps for three days of riding up mountains in thunderstorms, woo hoo!

Not sure who races better in wet conditions, but it might add some spice to the last two days in the mountains.
    Half man, Half bike
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    Rohan Dennis abandons to prepare for Rio.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    CarbonClem wrote:

Can anyone imagine a sky rider abandoning the tour to go do something else? BMC are so second rate.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    gsk82 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:

Can anyone imagine a sky rider abandoning the tour to go do something else? BMC are so second rate.

I guess its the sign of abandoning any real overall GC hopes.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    iainf72 wrote:

Has that been confirmed? Not seen it mentioned on Tw*tter
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    In other news, Sky and Pinarello continue through to 2020
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Any news on who's taking over from Rapha on the clothing front yet?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Any news from the Boy? Has deuxieme Journée de Repos been born yet?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    In amongst names like Mark, Peter, Tom and Chris, there's a Jarlinson. We can only hope.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    In amongst names like Mark, Peter, Tom and Chris, there's a Jarlinson. We can only hope.

I think Stevo is a cracking name.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Itv rest day show just said about cav not expected to start tomorrow.

Edit: now confirmed on Team DD website
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Not sure Millar's 'serious narrator' voice works on the rest day recap.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Bit disapointed tbh. I think he might regret it a win on the champs or a gold. I know what i'd take.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Good podcast by BBC 5 live tonight, interviews with sir Dave, Adam Yates and few more! Enjoying the podcasts from 5live and itv and cycling podcast