Specultively looking at Cargo & Kids Transport bikes

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited November 2018 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi

I've hit a snag with my no car plans and will probably need, in 2-3 months time, a cargo bike that I can transport 2 under 5is 2 miles and then continue to work (7 miles on) in all weathers.

I've been playing around with the ideas of a kid trailer, and leaving that locked up at school and continuing on the road bike but don't like the idea that it might not be there when I return to pick the kids up, whereas my work lockup is very secure.

I've recently seen a lot of pictures/vids of numerous styles cargo bikes, and am tempted, but just don't know which way to even consider.

Has anyone on here got such a unit, and then commuted on to work in it?
Do you share the bike? i'll "probably" not, but would like to some days, like weekend rides to the pool etc.

Most of them appear to be the same price as a small car, which is quite annoying, but hopefully cheaper to maintain/run in the long term, and it'll keep me fit at least!

Thanks
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    A friend has one like an extra cycle. Two wheels, large extended back rack that he sits his two on. 4 and 2 year old. I wouldn't trust a two year old without a step in seat personally though.

I just got a tag along fit my 4 year old, initial ride was positive. I could put my 2 year old in the front mobile seat. Not sure how safe that would feel with all that weight, if they both started wiggling it might be hard. Loading would be a pain.
  • jimwalsh
    jimwalsh Posts: 113
    I transport two in a burley d'lite it stays locked up outside my front door

11987188_10153043215480598_2993648769491019324_n.jpg?oh=562dacc3b63c65a60f38a7f978d8e3ce&oe=5834FA69
  • I’m very late to this party and wondering which option you went for.
    I am rather evangelical about my electric Christiania trike, I’ve had it 7 years and for 2 children. It really is the best in a no- car household.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I’m very late to this party and wondering which option you went for.
    I am rather evangelical about my electric Christiania trike, I’ve had it 7 years and for 2 children. It really is the best in a no- car household.

You are indeed late, but the question remains the same.

I took a whole bunch of bikes/trikes out, and settled on wanting a Babboe Big ( my kids are supersized and this would give them the most space) , with an electric option as preferable, but I never found the finances to make that happen.

I was hopeful, and lobbying for the government to change the C2W scheme options, or introduce a diesel scrappage scheme that would support changing to an e cargo bike, but neither of those have happened for the man on the street.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...